Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had lapband surgery yesterday

I just had my surgery yesterday and I am still very sore I was up most of the night and was having trouble getting comfortable. I was wondering how long does it usually take to start feeling normal again?

The 1st and 2nd days are the worse. You will still have some residual gas pain for up to several weeks. Some here use heating pads for this and some have someone stand behind them and have small back chops to help break it up. Watch your incisions and remember they might look healed on the outside well before they are totally healed on the inside. I felt pretty good at about 5 to 6 days.

Thanks for the reply sandy. I was really worried last night that something was wrong I was in so much pain. But it seems a little better today just need to stay on top of my pain meds.

Absolutely, and if you are taking lots of pain meds, don't forget stool softners. You don't want to add Constipation to your problems.

Agreed and while you are healing friend also don't forget to get your fluids in, especially with pain meds. I know it's not the easiest thing to do, but it is very important to stay hydrated.

Warm tea was my savior, and still is on occasion :)

Best for a speedy recovery and welcome to band land!

I am 4 days post op and still a little sore. But today felt so much better than the first 2 days. Good luck!

Agreed and while you are healing friend also don't forget to get your fluids in, especially with pain meds. I know it's not the easiest thing to do, but it is very important to stay hydrated. Warm tea was my savior, and still is on occasion :) Best for a speedy recovery and welcome to band land!

Thank you I was trying to drink as much Water as possible yesterday but I was up every couple of hours to go to the bathroom. The worst part was getting back into bed I must have paced around in my bedroom for hours. Someone had mentioned I should try some gas x to relieve the pressure built up.

I am 4 days post op and still a little sore. But today felt so much better than the first 2 days. Good luck!

I was wondering what you ate for the first couple of days so far I have had 8 oz portions of Protein Shakes, Popsicles because my throat is very sore too, 8 oz of Tomato Soup and just a couple oz of fat free yogurt. And as much Water as possible

Gas-Ex works, beano anything that will help you pass it. Hot Water bottle or heating pad on your back might help as well. Do not place that on the wounds, for those the best thing is ice especially at the port site.

Warm tea should be Decaf. I forgot to mention that and it will also help break up the gas. Walking and moving around is the best advice don't get back to bed too much do more sitting up and walking around. sleep and rest when your tired but move around.

Your doctor should have given you a post op diet to follow and that's what you should do always follow the Dr.'s advice as many people have different post-op diets.

Mine was for 2 weeks of liquids then mushy foods blended up for a week and then a week of soft solids then to regular solid foods as tolerated.

It took me at least two weeks to feel totally normal. I had a couple of days at the beginning where I wondered why I did this. Now, four weeks later, I wonder why I didn't do this years ago.

I am still on liquids so basically I have been having chicken broth Protein in crystal light sugar free Jello and the broth from beef barley Soup. Yesterday I added sugar free pudding and tolerated it just fine but always listen to what your doctor says.

It is going to take you a good few weeks to start feeling normal. Just keep hydrated, keep your pain meds going so that your pain doesn't get out of control and walk.

My doctor prescribed me only eight doses of Tylenol with codeine I feel like that is really not going to be enough since I am taking it every four hours. it doesn't really seem to be doing a whole lot for the pain anyways. The pain doesn't seem to have changed much since yesterday but everyone seems to agree the first couple of days are the worse.

Hey Supra, welcome! One thing that helped me be more comfortable was to sleep in my recliner, or at least alternate between the bed and the recliner. Hot showers, heating pad, walking and Gas X for the gas pain in my shoulders. Diet varies from doctor to doctor, but my surgeon told me to avoid acidic foods (like Tomato soup) cause it could trigger irritation, since its' acidity causes increased production of stomach acids. As for the pain, each person is different, I think I only took about 5 or 6 of my pain killers. If you're still in pain as you near the end of your prescription, call before you run out and ask for a refill. Each new day is better than the previous. Happy healing :)

Or try some liquid tylenol