Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you ever been chastised by another doctor for having weight loss surgery?

Hi,

I had an odd experience last week, and I have never experienced this before in the 6 1/2 years I have had weight loss surgery.

I went to an oral surgeon for TMJ pain, and after examining me he told me he was going to prescribe NSAIDs. I told him I could not take them. He proceeded to ask me why and I told him I had weight loss surgery. Then he asked me which doctor told me this and my reply was my bariatric doctor. He then tells me, "I have no options for you, the only recourse I could offer you is NSAIDs and you negated that by having weight loss surgery." This phrase was repeated a total of three times in my meeting with him. I knew I would not be seeing him again since he said there was nothing he could do for me. It was weird because I felt he was criticizing or chastising me for having undergone weight loss surgery.

Am I reading too much into this, or have you ever experienced something similar?

What a maroon!...Bugs Bunny

Yes, my urologist and lead man in my prostate cancer treatment was reluctant to OK my surgery stating that it was "too hard on the body". This is the guy that made me wear a catheter for 2 weeks for nothing, made me get nasty Lupron injections which killed my testosterone, recommended 45 radiation treatments and ok'd chemotherapy. With all that he promised me I would be dead 3 years ago.

Hard on the body? :huh:

I know that losing the fat lessens the chance of re-occurance. He didn't talk about that.

hmmmmmm even doctors (with college degrees) can be MORONS it seems

am glad you (and me and others) had WLS because we are making ourselves

well/healthy and that is what its about :)

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

Sorry to hear of the jerk doc! I'm only 3 weeks post op with the band. I have not heard of the no NSAIDs rule, is that more for the sleeve or did I miss that in my big binder of paperwork they have me?

Sorry to hear of the jerk doc! I'm only 3 weeks post op with the band. I have not heard of the no NSAIDs rule, is that more for the sleeve or did I miss that in my big binder of paperwork they have me?

I'm still in research mode but from my findings, some doctors say that after wls you should never take any NSAIDs ever again. Notice I said some, lol.

I'm anti NSAIDs myself, but for other reasons.

Thanks. I went and double checked my binder. They didn't mention that. I remember something postop being said but I thought that was due to the other pain killers. This is going on my list of questions for the doc. I'm not sure I could get through my tom without NSAIDs.

NSAID and ulcers are the reason. I believe when I had my band they didn't want you on NSAIDs either. The best thing to do is check with your doctor. Carolina and/or Jim will most likely know what their docs think on this. They both have bands and I do not any more.

Bander here. My surgeon actually gave me liquid NSAIDS after my surgery. His only concern was the possibility of the pill sitting in the stoma and ulcerating the lining. I occasionally take them now, but use a pill crusher just to be on the safe side.

I can't take them because they affect my kidney function negatively. My bariatric doc has no oposition to them other than what they do to my kidneys

Bander here. My surgeon actually gave me liquid NSAIDS after my surgery. His only concern was the possibility of the pill sitting in the stoma and ulcerating the lining. I occasionally take them now, but use a pill crusher just to be on the safe side.

Why I chew up tablets no matter how gross and prefer quick dissolve or liquid capsules.

I'm so thankful for my PCP. He has been rooting for my approval all the way. There are two Physicians and two RN's that have had WLS in the same office. When I first came in to discuss it with him he took me around to meet all of them that day. We have to remember physicians are just as human as we are. They can have character flaws as well. We have a choice if we want them to be our Dr. My by far worse experience was years ago, I just moved here and went to a new gyno. I had just began my weightless journey with another office that specialized in that area. Anyway, this man waited until I was on my back in Stirrups and said so, why are you so fat? Then began a degrading lecture along with assumptions that I had to listen to due to the fact of my vulnerable position. All the while I'm laying there openly crying. As soon as he was done I quickly sat up and told him I was seeing a dr for my weight and that was his specialty, and he need to just worry about the health of my vagina since that was his specialty. Then I looked at the nurse and said can you bring me the bill for my chargers for today so I can leave. He took off his gloves and threw them and told her no charges for today. Haven't been back since. Afterwards I have heard many stories of him with his over weight patients. Not this girl.

I'm so thankful for my PCP. He has been rooting for my approval all the way. There are two Physicians and two RN's that have had WLS in the same office. When I first came in to discuss it with him he took me around to meet all of them that day. We have to remember physicians are just as human as we are. They can have character flaws as well. We have a choice if we want them to be our Dr. My by far worse experience was years ago, I just moved here and went to a new gyno. I had just began my weightless journey with another office that specialized in that area. Anyway, this man waited until I was on my back in Stirrups and said so, why are you so fat? Then began a degrading lecture along with assumptions that I had to listen to due to the fact of my vulnerable position. All the while I'm laying there openly crying. As soon as he was done I quickly sat up and told him I was seeing a dr for my weight and that was his specialty, and he need to just worry about the health of my vagina since that was his specialty. Then I looked at the nurse and said can you bring me the bill for my chargers for today so I can leave. He took off his gloves and threw them and told her no charges for today. Haven't been back since. Afterwards I have heard many stories of him with his over weight patients. Not this girl.

How horrible for you!

If I were to guess, and I guess I am about to guess, the doc is an insecure little toady inside and likes his feeling of power with women in a vulnerable position and then going into whatever sadistic tirade seems suitable to the moment.

His school had to talk about proper conversation when women are in the stirrups...maybe he was sick that day. I know I am ultra-sensitive to nurse talk when they are putting in a catheter.... :wacko:

I had the sleeve 9 months ago and I take NSAIDS once in a while, but I make sure I take them with some food. I've never had a problem.