Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you ever been chastised by another doctor for having weight loss surgery?

Thanks gmanbat. As I have learned he is that way with all his overweight patients. It has a long time but that day is still hurtful but now I just feel sorry for him. He lucked out on a good patient with very good habit of paying her bills. Lol. So I'm new to this site and so far I'm seeing a lot if good info. Hope to get to read more of your post.

Hi, I had an odd experience last week, and I have never experienced this before in the 6 1/2 years I have had weight loss surgery. I went to an oral surgeon for TMJ pain, and after examining me he told me he was going to prescribe NSAIDs. I told him I could not take them. He proceeded to ask me why and I told him I had weight loss surgery. Then he asked me which doctor told me this and my reply was my bariatric doctor. He then tells me, "I have no options for you, the only recourse I could offer you is NSAIDs and you negated that by having weight loss surgery." This phrase was repeated a total of three times in my meeting with him. I knew I would not be seeing him again since he said there was nothing he could do for me. It was weird because I felt he was criticizing or chastising me for having undergone weight loss surgery. Am I reading too much into this, or have you ever experienced something similar?

Last April I ended up in the ER with another bacterial infection (cellulitis) in my leg, due to diabetes. The ER doctor wanted to admit me but I explained I wanted to try strong oral antibiotics because I was preparing to have wls and I could not miss my nutrition and wl classes. He proceeded with a 30 minute lecture on why I should not have the surgery. He shamed me because of my weight and said i just needed to follow the vegan diet. Needless to say he could not talk me out of it I am now six months post op and I am off insulin and my oral diabetic meds have been cut in half. My PCP thinks it won't be long til I will be off diabetic meds all together. The swelling in my legs had gone down and my skin has never looked better.

As far as NSAIDS go . . . My surgeon also said not to take them. Before surgery I was taking 800 mg every night because my back and hips hurt so much from carrying all the extra weight. Since losing 110 lbs so far I have not had any back or hip pain. My arse hurts but that's because I no longer have my own extra padded seat cushion! LOL

Edited by JeanaLuvsKisses

google "natural anti-inflammatory treatments." there are lots of alternatives. my fav is turmeric (the spice) and bromeline (from pineapple). you can buy them in one capsule from the HFS. i used it to treat my asthma for several years until i didnt need treatment anymore. if my asthma comes back after being sick, i take it for week or so and all better. doctors dont know what they dont know. no one does.

I'm so thankful for my PCP. He has been rooting for my approval all the way. There are two Physicians and two RN's that have had WLS in the same office. When I first came in to discuss it with him he took me around to meet all of them that day. We have to remember physicians are just as human as we are. They can have character flaws as well. We have a choice if we want them to be our Dr. My by far worse experience was years ago, I just moved here and went to a new gyno. I had just began my weightless journey with another office that specialized in that area. Anyway, this man waited until I was on my back in Stirrups and said so, why are you so fat? Then began a degrading lecture along with assumptions that I had to listen to due to the fact of my vulnerable position. All the while I'm laying there openly crying. As soon as he was done I quickly sat up and told him I was seeing a dr for my weight and that was his specialty, and he need to just worry about the health of my vagina since that was his specialty. Then I looked at the nurse and said can you bring me the bill for my chargers for today so I can leave. He took off his gloves and threw them and told her no charges for today. Haven't been back since. Afterwards I have heard many stories of him with his over weight patients. Not this girl.

That is the worst obgyn I had ever heard of his treatment was demoralizing in every way. And I am so sorry you had to go throught that. I would suggest reporting him to your insurance and him removed as your obgyn physcian. What a terrible bedside manner and abusive man. You go girl for standing up for your rights. Glad to hear you have a wonderful doctor who is helping you on your journey for a baeutiful life.

I'm surprised none of my primary care physicians never suggested it to me. Especially 6 years ago when I tipped the scales at 412 pounds.

I think many doctors unless they specialize in bariatrics are biased about WLS. My PCP said I would probably gain all of my weight back. Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence.

I'm a bander...since my heart attack, I have been on blood thinners and low dose aspirin....

Everyone knows this, no one ever cautioned me.....

Also I don't need to crush my pills.....

As far as being chastised by other Dr.'s.....prior to my surgery all my Dr.'s other than my PCP said I was out of my mind, and I could do this by dieting alone....

NOW the same Dr.'s call me their poster patient and try to take credit for my success, as though they had something to do with it....

google "natural anti-inflammatory treatments." there are lots of alternatives. my fav is turmeric (the spice) and bromeline (from pineapple). you can buy them in one capsule from the HFS. i used it to treat my asthma for several years until i didnt need treatment anymore. if my asthma comes back after being sick, i take it for week or so and all better. doctors dont know what they dont know. no one does.

I too use the bromeline from pineapple, I also want to add that exercising actually naturally reduces inflammation in our bodies.

I know it exists. I've heard it before. And yet I'm still astounded at how ignorant, blatantly biased and insensitive to the point of insulting some doctors can be. Ostensibly well educated men and women who are so egotistical that they actually believe they have all of the answers. Licensed physicians who choose to disregard the most important and most fundamental principle of the oath they took - "Above all else, do no harm." Forget that, ignore that, disregard that...and you are no longer a doctor. Just another pathetic excuse for a human being.

I am lucky. My GYN has been my biggest cheerleader. She has seen me up and down weight wise for almost 10 years since she has been treating me. I went in last year 7 weeks post op. First thing she said to me after greeting me was congratulations! Tell me about your experience. Told me she was proud of me and want to talk with me this year. Of her several patients that have done it, she has seen nothing but success and said she can't wait to see me this year.

I'm actually excited about going to the GYN this year! Now thats a first!

I am lucky. My GYN has been my biggest cheerleader. She has seen me up and down weight wise for almost 10 years since she has been treating me. I went in last year 7 weeks post op. First thing she said to me after greeting me was congratulations! Tell me about your experience. Told me she was proud of me and want to talk with me this year. Of her several patients that have done it, she has seen nothing but success and said she can't wait to see me this year.

I'm actually excited about going to the GYN this year! Now thats a first!

I just went to my gyn this morning and was shocked at my loss. He told me he was proud of me! He said that he thinks it was the right move, and that with the obesity epidemic, more people should be doing it. He said he thinks is a safe surgery. He even sounded interested in looking into it for himself. Glad to hear some reassurance.

My long time PCP retired last year. He was always so supportive of me wanting to try anything to help me lose weight. When he retired I started seeing a woman (who really is a wonderful doctor and nice lady). We started talking about my weight struggle and how I had my band removed from complications. I told her my new surgeon suggested the gastric sleeve or gastric bypass. She said "Oh honey, you aren't big enough to have one of those barbaric surgeries" and suggested a diet book and prescribed an appetite suppressant.

Jump to 8 months later. I couldn't get in to see her for a refill on my ADHD meds so they put me in with her partner. My quick "I just need a refill" appt became an hour long discussion on my medical history, my weight and my type 1 diabetes. She then asked if I had thought about weight loss surgery again and I said I had brought it up to the other doc but she clearly wasn't on board. My new doctor ( I had already adopted her as my new doc before we even got to the WLS talk) then went on to tell me about her brother who was obese and had the band. He had a band failure story similar to mine and then had the sleeve. What I loved was she didn't just say "you need this" but she gave me a real, personal story about her brother who really was near death and now has a healthy fulfilling life. We ended the appointment with her simply asking me to go see my surgeon again. She encouraged me to take my husband and ask all our questions and voice our concerns. So we did.

I'm scheduled for surgery 2/13 and am so grateful for my new PCP. I know my first one meant well. She was never mean and always encouraged me to try something new, whether it am activity or meal plan. But I do wonder where I could be now if I had started off with Dr. Warner. I guess it's all about the journey. It's a learning experience.

Edited by Jencovi

The GYN stories are funny and familiar. Mine has known me for 20 years. He really wanted to see "my work!" (My scars) What a nerd. Lol.