Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where in Mass. is everyone from?

:decision:

Ok, so I went for my appt at Lahey today. I had the doctor and the psyche portion today. I have to go back for the nutritional portion due to the fact that they have a new person in that position and she isn't ready to meet w/ people. I also have to go for a sleep study which I thought was weird but I am willing to go to any length so I am doing it. I started having a panic attack in the waiting room but I calmed down once I got the scale part over. I was 263.7 lbs. and I found out that I am only 5'7" and half inches! I thought I was 5'9 for years. I am too young to be shrinking so I have been off for A LONG TIME! Now the question is do I go for the lap band or the bypass. I am leaning towards the lapband. Thanks for your help with me yesterday.

:)

Of course you know that this site is all "lapband" land, so naturally we are all going to be a little prejudice :). But, I have to say from all my research and personal experience with friends, family and co-workers that had the bypass, this is MUCH safer. My sister-in-law, cousin, 2 co-workers , a client (I work for vns) and several friends have had the bypass. only 1 has had no problems, and she is very new only 6 wk out. many of them discribe the problems as life threatening. My cousin nearly died and was hospitalized for 2 weeks. AND, her wt. loss has really slowed down and been on hold at 260 (she was aprox 340) as she discovered she could eat certain high cal. foods. So, that is not fool proof. yet, she is happy as she is much smaller. I think you have to be willing to "work" which ever you pick, neither is a magic bullet , the thing that makes the other seem easier to lose is that you are more likely to heave if you are "bad", so if that is what it takes to keep you from eating junk than that may be the answer. the diet dr. is the one that will help you to determine that. Also, if you decide this was a huge mistake, this is reversable! so far, BEST thing I've done ever, I know it will slow down, but so far, a lb a day is coming off since band day:thankyou:..there are other reasons too, maybe you need to do a little more digging. I will warn you though, the drs. lean to the bypass as the "gold standard" , I think because it has been around longer. that's the down side, don't think they give the divice a life long warranty as it hasn't been around long enough to know. but hay, got to start somewhere.I don't want to wait my life time to find out. May have to get a new model down the road !! no, really, it seem very durable to me.:nervous

Hi Sandra, I'm from the Vineyard. been going to Lahey in burlington. I finally got my date! April 26 !!! can't find any other Lahey band people but I think they are the best after MUCH reserch and now apts. good luck !

HI Cheri52,

By the date of this post it looks like you should of had your band by now. I'm from Framingham, MA and I just had by consultation at Lahey in Burlington yesterday and I've decided I'll go with it ASAP! I would love to hear all about your experience at Lahey.

I hope you are doing well! God Bless!

Hi BostonChic,

I just had my consultation 5/10 at Lahey Burlington and thought they seemed to have a solid program. I have to go back and meet with the nutritionist and the nurse again for the same scheduling reasons you ran into but no further testing at this point.

I have to lose 20 lbs before surgery so I need to get my butt moving. I'm hoping to get through the process ASAP and be banded by late July or Early August.

I would love to hear more about your experience and progress!

I am going to the Lap Band Support Meeting tonight at Lahey. I had the sleep study last week. I am going to the presurgical meetings for behavior modification in June. I am not sure as to when I will be able to have the surgery. The sooner the better in my mind! Anyone else going tonight?

Hi Bostonchic,

I hope your support meeting went well last night. I'll be in the Presurgical Skill Meetings in June and I'll be going to the LapBand meeting on the last Tue in May and June. I'm really hoping to get the surgery ASAP! I'm ready to make some real changes in my life and I agraee the sooner the better.

What insurance are you using? I'm signing up for Harvard Pilgrim throuh my work and it will be effective July 1.

I would love to meet you at one of the sessions and compare stories. Its nice to know someone out there is going through the same process I am.

Hi All,

I'm from Worcester...otherwise known as "Woostah!"! I've been banded for 16 months and thrilled with the results! It's the best thing I could have done for myself! :clap2:

Hello Everyone,

Im new to this Ive actually just begun the process with my Surgeon currently doing all the tests and waiting for my Psych Eval, and sleep Study to be scheduled. Wish me luck.

Eva

Hi All,

I'm from Worcester...otherwise known as "Woostah!"! I've been banded for 16 months and thrilled with the results! It's the best thing I could have done for myself! :clap2:

:gluck: :first: :wow2: :(

Wow!!!!!!!!

I am so happy for you losing all this weight...

I am one yr 5-12-07 so far have lost 50 pounds did chge Drs.

What are u doing so lose so much weight??

Maybe you could help me...

Again Congrat good luck how much more do u want to lose??

Warmly Rosa

Hi Gingersnap! thanks, I think I am doing well, getting a little anxous with the post diet wanting it to be over and on to the real deal! I love the Drs. and the whole department at Lahey. I think it is an excellent program. It's good that they don't just "slap" it in and leave you on your own. They really do try to give you all the tools and info to make it! so far I'm down 22 lbs!! Good luck to you. and Bostonchic too!!

Hi Gingersnap! thanks, I think I am doing well, getting a little anxous with the post diet wanting it to be over and on to the real deal! I love the Drs. and the whole department at Lahey. I think it is an excellent program. It's good that they don't just "slap" it in and leave you on your own. They really do try to give you all the tools and info to make it! so far I'm down 22 lbs!! Good luck to you. and Bostonchic too!!

Hi Cheri52,

I'm so happy to hear that your surgery was successful!!! So how are you feeling? Have you had a lot a pain and were they good about giving you all the meds that you need post op? Is there anything you wish they would have done differently?

I would love to hear every detail about your experience. I'm really nervous about the surgery, and if and when it will be covered by insurance. But I know that this tool has the potential to change my life and I'm looking forward to the change.

Congratulations on losing 22lbs....that’s awesome! You must be feeling better already! I hope to be a loser someday soon too!

Hi gingersnap, thanks, this isn't really the best place for details, and everyone's details are different, so your experience will most likely be different than mine. They were good about the pain meds, I didn't have to ask, but, I never require much anyway..I'm just used to aches and pains anyway and gave up trying to fight them years ago. I just found the port site to be very sore,but it is okay now, can't even feel where the band is not even on day 1. I think the most important worry would be the insurance. you really need to call them and check and see if there is any waiting period being it's a new policy and you are a new employee. the surgery is easy! you are responsible to find out if it is even possible, the drs. will take it from there to get it covered. they didn't really explain that well enough at first, but it is written somewhere in the first night info session. I didn't notice it and got quite far before I realized that.fortunately, I was covered. apparently your employer can opt out on wt. loss things to save them money on the company policy and thus it can be different than the general policy. YOU REALLY Need to CALL!! good luck,

Hi gingersnap, thanks, this isn't really the best place for details, and everyone's details are different, so your experience will most likely be different than mine. They were good about the pain meds, I didn't have to ask, but, I never require much anyway..I'm just used to aches and pains anyway and gave up trying to fight them years ago. I just found the port site to be very sore,but it is okay now, can't even feel where the band is not even on day 1. I think the most important worry would be the insurance. you really need to call them and check and see if there is any waiting period being it's a new policy and you are a new employee. the surgery is easy! you are responsible to find out if it is even possible, the drs. will take it from there to get it covered. they didn't really explain that well enough at first, but it is written somewhere in the first night info session. I didn't notice it and got quite far before I realized that.fortunately, I was covered. apparently your employer can opt out on wt. loss things to save them money on the company policy and thus it can be different than the general policy. YOU REALLY Need to CALL!! good luck,

Cheri52,

Thank you for the insurance advice, I've called them several times and didn't even think to ask about a waiting period. They said there was no waiting period and they go solely off medical necessity. Lahey recommended them as one of the best for LapBand Coverage so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Please keep me posted on your progress and how your first fill goes.

Hi all! Just found this website. Would love to chat with anyone having gone through the process. I'm scheduled for surgery on 6/25...Getting nervous. I'm from Lawrence but having the surgery w/ Dr. Ameri in Winchester. Would love to hear from someone.

Hi from North Reading banded on May 24 2007 at Lahey Clinic in Burlington Ma by DR NEPOMNASYSHY

BESTARCHER