Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you decide bypass or the sleeve? I was sold on the sleeve but my best friend who had the gastric bipass a few years back said her dr had told her that a person does not lose as much weight with the sleeve and it takes a long time. She had complications though and was in the hospital twice. I have another friend that just had the sleeve in nov and feels great and said it was the best decision she ever made! I guess now I am just confused about which surgery to have. I have about 150 lbs to lose! Any insight on this is welcome! Thanks everyone!

While you do lose faster with bypass because of the malabsorption, the amount of weight that you lose in the long run is going to be about the same with both surgeries. Both surgeries have their own set of possible complications, as with any surgery, so it is ultimately up to you which you feel more comfortable having. I personally don't like the idea of re-routing my insides and the malabsorption, which is why I am choosing the sleeve. I have 150 to lose as well. There are a lot of threads on here that weigh the pros and cons of each surgery :). Good luck

Edited by kb88

Hi, I was confused as you are for a while, because I have friends that have had the bypass and then some with the sleeve. They both are doing well but I have to say the deciding factor for me was the fact that the sleeve does let you eat anything you want without the dumping and you know when enough is enough without overeating. I had my sleeve surgery Oct 1st and I have gone from 252lbs to 213lbs. I am very pleased with my results so far and I don't at all regret this decision. Everyone loses at a different pace, so don't base your weight loss on others. My surgeon assured me that within the 2 year mark, I would be at the same weightloss as a bypass patient. Feeling good about that helped my decision as well. If you are diabetic the bypass may be the way to go because it puts diabetes in remission. I was not diabetic so that helped my decision also. I hope this helps you. But you will make the right decision. Happy New Year!

Thanks so much! That really helps me out a lot!! :). I am not diabetic so I don't have to worry about that!

I also don't like the idea of my insides being rerouted!

great, I am glad. I didn't like the idea of being rerouted either. Good Luck :)

<p>Hi, I was confused as you are for a while, because I have friends that have had the bypass and then some with the sleeve. They both are doing well but I have to say the deciding factor for me was the fact that the sleeve does let you eat anything you want without the dumping and you know when enough is enough without overeating. I had my sleeve surgery Oct 1st and I have gone from 252lbs to 213lbs. I am very pleased with my results so far and I don't at all regret this decision. Everyone loses at a different pace, so don't base your weight loss on others. My surgeon assured me that within the 2 year mark, I would be at the same weightloss as a bypass patient. Feeling good about that helped my decision as well. If you are diabetic the bypass may be the way to go because it puts diabetes in remission. I was not diabetic so that helped my decision also. I hope this helps you. But you will make the right decision. Happy New Year!</p>

Not to be Debbie Downer but you can still get dumping with the sleeve. I can attest to that and have spoken with others who have experienced the same.

While you can get dumping with the sleeve it's a much less common occurrence than with rny. For me the reasons are the same as those stated above plus.. just the word malabsorption scares me, with rny the stomach is left inside your body. With sleeve it's excised along with the hormone Ghrelin that it produces. It is a much less invasive procedure with less chances of things to go wrong in the long run (in my option). I had the opportunity to have rny 240-2503years ago but waited until my ins approved the sleeve. I just felt is was right for me. That being said, if you do your research whatever surgery you decide on will be the right one for you as long as you remain committed to the protocols. Good luck

diabetes resolves with the sleeve too. as does high blood pressure and other comorbidities. i have not used my CPAP machine since the hospital.

10 years of research and seminars = the sleeve. My husband and I both diabetic, I am off Metformin and his 300-400 daily blood sugars are now 110, morning and night thank God! Praise the sleeve. Loving life.