Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I just had surgery to remove my ten yr old broken lap band and do a revision to a sleeve. Had my surgery at Laredo medical center with Dr Michael Morris. Love him!!! Hated the hospital. Had a hernia fixed and gallbladder removed at the same time. Doc said surgery lasted three hours because I had a ton of scar tissue he had to dig out :( I can sure feel it too. My weight just before surgery was 222 lbs and I'm 5'1" I had BCBS of Tennessee and they required I lose ten percent which I did but it took nine months to do so.

So day one Dec 31st. It's 24 hours past my surgery. They took me down to check for a leak this morning. All clear! They told me I can start on Clear liquids for today and tomorrow and maybe a Protein shake. Sooo here I sit staring at my broth and Jello.... I've been taking the tiniest of bites but it kinda gurgles going down and I can tell I don't want another bite. How am I supposed to get anything in? I think I've had an oz maybe over the last couple of hours. Is this normal?

I'm not in absolute horrible pain now although I did have it rough yesterday. I'm not nauseated anymore but my abdomen is sooooo tight and filled with air. They say to keep walking and it'll go away, I sure hope they are right. My shoulder hurts too. Kinda weird. Ok so off to walk a bit and see if I feel a little better.

Mantra: Walk, walk, walk. Sip, sip, sip.

Don't worry I felt the same way after surgery. The nurses were really pushing fluids, but I could barely take a couple of sips without feeling nauseated. I also had bad pain in my upper chest and shoulder/back area. I stared to panic my second night at hospital because I didn't think I would ever get down 3 of those little medicine cups. Those 6 oz felt like 6 gallons. I found something that worked for me though. I tipped my head back- like you do when you have a nose bleed. I was able to get the liquids down that way. I mean it looked silly tipping my head back to drink, but hey, it worked!

Im walkin I'm walkin lol now the sipping ugh not so much. I'll try the head tilt thing though.... Hmmmm

Is it always this tight? Cause I'm telling ya there's no way solid anything is going down. Nope no way. I'll be on liquids and softs for a while anyway so it can heal but kinda wondering is this just really swollen I guess and then it lessens up a little?

Hi There please keep me updated I have surgery on 1/14 and am freaking out I also am doing the sleeve! I have no idea how to take care of myself after the surgery as far as food goes so I'm keeping this for encouragement please post and I hope all goes well for you!

Relax, relax, and relax. Trust me, you all will be fine. The unknown is what worries us. I was sleeved 11/18, my husband 12/2. Read your doctor's instructions over and over. I did, every day LOL! And read posts here. It has been a breeze compared to what I expected! You will eat, I promise you! You will feel wonderful and renewed! Happy New Year!

It will get better after a few days....I remember when they cleared me to start clear fluids and just sipping my 1oz of Water per hour was nasty...I would just get waves of pain that would start in my abdomen and go right up my chest and my stomach would gurgle and churn away...This was day 2 post op, and by day 3 around noon things were getting better. Good luck and I'm sure you'll feel better after a few days...just hang in there!

Edit - Someone suggested on the forums here to try breathing out when you swallow so not as much air goes down. That did help for me!

Edited by Jdub

I'm 7weeks out today sleeved 11/12/13 and I got so tired of hearing it gets better it gets better but I wanted it better NOW. Be patient it does get better u just had major surgery and it will take awhile for everything to heal in there. Keep your head up. I still struggle getting Water in but that's getting better every week pass. Good luck

Hi There please keep me updated I have surgery on 1/14 and am freaking out I also am doing the sleeve! I have no idea how to take care of myself after the surgery as far as food goes so I'm keeping this for encouragement please post and I hope all goes well for you!

hi mama, it'll be ok. These two weeks are gonna fly by and before you know it you will be on the other side. Do u have a lapband that is getting removed? If it's just the sleeve then u may be one of the ones who are almost pain free! My incisions don't hurt at all it seems to be where they fixed the hernia and took out the lap band. But even that is getting better and better. Don't worry yourself to death this is a good thing girl!!

Day 2

Today I woke up and had some acid reflux. Lots of burning in my stomach so I called the doc. He have me a script for protonix and said that the acidy feeling and reflux should go away in a few weeks. He did fix a hernia that I didn't know I had and he said a lot of the pain is coming from there. Walgreens didn't have any protonix and being 7 hours from home, we needed to get on the road. Still having issues getting an Fluid in. I take the tiniest sip and it gurgles like it going down a drain and I can feel when it clears and can take another tiny sip. No way on the planet I'm getting in 64 oz. I don't think I've had even 8 oz. kinda worrisome.

About four hours into the drive home, I had to stop and get something for the burning. I got the Walgreens brand of Pepcid chewable.... Didn't help very much. Feel like my insides have been through a meat grinder but he said that band really was tough to get out. I haven't taken any pain medicine today either. I'm going to do that soon now that I'm finally home. All those bumps in the road just really made for an uncomfortable ride.

I've noticed hot liquid goes down a little easier than cold. Meaning I can take a few more sips so I'm going to really focus on this broth.... Focussss concentrate annnnd poof!! its a cheeseburger!

7:30 pm and i made some broth and it started going down! I've gotten almost a whole coffee mug in!! Oh happy day. Tomorrow I will try adding a lil bit of Unjury chicken Protein Powder. Yay!!!!!!!!!

I love this journal you are writing for all of us! Makes it real. I wish you a super speedy recovery. Please keep updating each day or as you are able.

I'm being sleeved 1/16 and really appreciate your posts. I had my band out 7 weeks ago.

Not looking forward to another surgery.

Them pain in the shoulder really was unbareable. It's just trapped air. Mine took about 12 days to go

Hi guys! I'm not sure how much help I am being but I like being able to put this all down at least for a little while. I'm so happy if it's helping some who are pre-op and as nervous as I was!

Day 3- 218 lbs! Lost 4 lbs

I forgot to put this down yesterday lol well day three was wonderful!! It's amazing how great I felt today! My incisions are still pretty numb so no pain there. I have five of them. Two larger ones and three very small ones. I went to Walmart and got some shopping done cause I wanted to make a roast tomorrow. Not that I can eat a roast mind you lol I still have a little pain if I turn the wrong way or something but other than that I feel awesome! And I've lost four lbs! Today I've had a scoop of unjury chocolate spendor Protein powder with 2 T of Hills Bro sugar free French vanilla Cappuccino powder. A vanilla sugar free pudding. And Tomato Soup with milk for supper. I'm not really hungry. But I do get a tiny feeling of hunger if it's time to eat. It goes away immediately. Still sipping on power aid zero too.