Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January's 2014 Bandsters Welcome!

I'm out 2.5 weeks. It went by so fast! How is everyone's weight loss? I've lost 24lbs since starting Preop diet on jan 1

I'm at three weeks now, and have lost around 26 lbs (including preop diet). Feeling great now and looking forward to my first fill on February 18th!

I don't get my first fill until the 23rd February. Six weeks after my post-surgery appointment. Lost 12lbs so far hoping to lose 66in total. Still a long way to go, hoping to start pilates and yoga this week to burn a few more cals up!

I just had my surgery yesterday! Feeling sore but excited about this journey!

Congrats to you & much success on your new journey.

I am three days post-op and feel pretty good. Surgery was 1/29/14. I had my first bowl of (runny) grits this morning an dit was absolutely wonderful!!!! I am still in my PJs and haven't done much the past few days other than just laying around. I got a shower last night and it felt good to finally get a shower but I nearly passed out. I get up occasionally and walk around but otherwise I am in the recliner or on the couch. Should I be further along than this or doing more than I am at this point? I feel pretty good.

Hi everyone. I'm 5 days past surgery! Woot! Everything went very well. IMHO, pain is nearly always worth it as long as you get what you want on the other side - and pain with this has really not been very bad at all. The day of surgery was a long one only because everything ran late (my surgery started some 2.5 or 3 hours later than planned) but after that, we were off to the races. In no time, I was in Recovery and then back to a post-op area where my hubby could see me. Maybe 3.5 hours after surgery started, we were heading home. I was (and am) sore but it is nothing unmanageable.

High points so far:

• Post-surgery Water is the best Water ever!
  • Grits...grits...seriously, people. I'm eating grits. I love grits. ;)
  • Removal of the pain med pump.
  • Losing 29 pounds ahead of surgery on the 6 month diet required by my insurance.
  • Going back to the barn today to see my horse (but not having to do any of the work because of the lifting restrictions. ;) )

Struggles so far:

• Pretty minor pain (primarily gas pains in my upper left shoulder and a sore belly button). And I am pathologically incapable of burping in a public setting of any kind, even in front of my spouse. Blame my mother...
  • Realizing I should have bought work-appropriate stretchy pants ahead of time (will need to buy some tomorrow before going back to the office on Monday).
  • High heart rate that is making me a little crazy but which I am sure will calm down soon.

Thanks to everyone here for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to following in your footsteps to success!

You are allowed grits? You are so lucky. I am also 5 days post surgery and on a clear liquid diet until Monday. Next week I'm able to do whole liquids. I'm so excited for yogurt and shakes that will give me more energy.

Hi guys. I was banded on 1/29/14, im home now, no real pain, not really hungry. Im glad it finally happened. Im getting settled at home, been sleeping alot. I have broth, tea, Jello, cream Soups, and popsicles on hand.

How is everyone else doing?

Christina we had the same surgery date. Im resting as much as possible.

So today we had my son's birthday party and I didn't even care about the cake! It was pretty awesome. Although I will say everyone was drinking soda and I do miss that but I know it is a big No No. So what does everyone drink besides Water? I do drink crystal light sometimes but honestly am not a fan of the artificial sweeteners. Suggestions??

What are grits? Sounds intriguing!

To answer the drink question I've been having lots of Water, green tea. If I want something sweet mango or apple juice. Not bothered by alcohol much but did have a glass of red wine. To be honest I think my taste buds have changed as I used to love it and now it doesn't feel right

Im drinking 0 calorie drinks, tea, I bought some Isopure but not a big fan

for sweeteners I use splenda. They do have 0 calorie 0 carb liquid sweetener. I think davinci might be one brand, can be used in coffee or anything.

Grits are like cream of wheat. Im not a big fan of grits

Hi desertpixie! Grits are the food of the gods to a Southern girl! :D They are made from a type of ground corn (hominy) and I guess the most similar thing I can think of is polenta. I love them with just a little hot sauce and salt.

Seven days post surgery, and I went to Home Depot to get some wood for a little project I was doing in the bedroom. As I left the store there was a hotdog cart outside making sausage and peppers. The smell was incredible but I resisted, because, well, I had to. When I got home, I made myself some Tomato Soup, Yum.

I am very happy I go in for a fill on Friday because my appetite has seemed to return not like before but it scares me and I don't want to regain the 24 pounds I lost post op. I have read this is referred to as bandster hell. Has anyone else heard this before?