Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone! What's your diet consist of?

Hello!

I have been banded for 9 months as of today. I am down almost 50 pounds. I had my banding, then had to have my gallbladder taken out, got set back, and now I am back on track.

My question to you folks is this: What does your diet consist of?

I am on Atkins. Restarted at the 20-25 net carbs a day (introductory phase), I upped my Water intake, started taking Fiber supplement for obvi reasons....Now I want to know what you are all doing?

Congrats on your 50lb loss! That's great!

For me, I don't really follow any specific 'diet' other than making sure I get my 60g of Protein each day. I do track my calories and Protein daily, because, for me, it helps to stay accountable. I don't have any foods that are off limits, except bread...my band doesn't seem to like bread! I'm in the green zone, so if find as long as I follow the protein first rule, I stay satisfied, and rarely ever see over 1200 calories each day. I also try to have a least 64oz of Water.

I eat a lot of fish! Never used to but like it now more than ever. I don't eat other seafood, as I am form Maryland, and living in Florida, and spoiled for Maryland crab cakes. Other seafood is too hard for me to digest or chewup! I eat very little red meat, but do eat some poultry too. Had turkey for both Thanksgiving or Christmas. I don't like breasts to much as they are too dry, so if it is not a special occasion, I usually stay away from it too. Basically, I am a boring eater, now! I tend to do only certain veggies such as broccoli crowns, cauliflower crowns, asparagus crowns, baked Beans, or peas. I like nuts but don't eat too many as I do LIKE them too much! I eat very little carbs, because tend to fill up on my Protein. I hope that helps! As I said, I am a boring eater, now! Karen...aka..kll724

I eat a lot of fish! Never used to but like it now more than ever. I don't eat other seafood, as I am form Maryland, and living in Florida, and spoiled for Maryland crab cakes. Other seafood is too hard for me to digest or chewup! I eat very little red meat, but do eat some poultry too. Had turkey for both Thanksgiving or Christmas. I don't like breasts to much as they are too dry, so if it is not a special occasion, I usually stay away from it too. Basically, I am a boring eater, now! I tend to do only certain veggies such as broccoli crowns, cauliflower crowns, asparagus crowns, baked Beans, or peas. I like nuts but don't eat too many as I do LIKE them too much! I eat very little carbs, because tend to fill up on my Protein. I hope that helps! As I said, I am a boring eater, now! Karen...aka..kll724

Congrats on your 50lb loss! That's great!

For me, I don't really follow any specific 'diet' other than making sure I get my 60g of Protein each day. I do track my calories and protein daily, because, for me, it helps to stay accountable. I don't have any foods that are off limits, except bread...my band doesn't seem to like bread! I'm in the green zone, so if find as long as I follow the protein first rule, I stay satisfied, and rarely ever see over 1200 calories each day. I also try to have a least 64oz of Water.

I did not start off as a specific diet eater but then I wasn't losing so I asked around and my nurse recommended Atkins. I could not tell you how many calories I eat a day but not many. My doctor does not want me to eat unless I am hungry. I eat my protien 3 bites to one veggie If I am having veggies. Sometimes I am not that hungry or I am having a tight day. Only recently have I been active in getting my Water in. I hate water with a passion. HAHA. it is getting easier tho!

Karen: I am a boring eater too. I stick to what I know!! I do not eat bread...I like chicken, ground beef...some days...and turkey bacon. I actually got stuck on a piece of turkey on Christmas so I am off of that for a few seasons...haha lucky for me its not coming up anytime soon.

Greek yogurt, eggs, oatmeal, or cream of rice are my common Breakfast foods.

Today I had a piece of omelette I made for my husband, with mushrooms, bacon and cheese. It was about a 3-inch square piece.

chicken, chili, 1/2 sandwich, Chinese food, Soups and salads are my common lunch choices at work.

Today I skipped lunch because I had an early dinner. I did have a handful of almonds though.

meat and veggies, fish and veggies, hearty (thick or meat and veggie-laden) Soups, and Pasta dishes are common dinner choices for me.

Today I had about 4 super-jumbo shrimps grilled and sautéed in a garlic sauce with red and yellow bell peppers, and about 1/4 of an avocado on a tiny green salad.

In the PM I also had a chocolate Protein shake to satisfy a sweets craving and to get in a little more Protein and Vitamins.

After 7 pm ... Nothing!

i eat fish and dark chicken. i like shrimp too. i eat red meat once a week and it's a rib eye. but that was all before my last fill. i am not sure what my diet is going to be like. i don't avoid carbs. i use sara lee 45 cal whole wheat bread for Breakfast and a sandwich at lunch time. it doesn't affect my blood sugar at all. i keep other carbs to just a few times a month. like potatoes and Pasta. i also use miracle noodles. not the rice though. it got stuck. i like cottage cheese with tomatoes and sometimes fish. i also keep my Protein at 60 grams a day. calories 1000-1200. carbs are up to 30 per meal . i eat salad or cooked vegetables with dinner.

For me, I rely on my band to dictate my food intake, so I do not follow any "Diet" plans anymore such as Atkins, etc...

Since My band will allow me to eat just so much, all I need to do is make sure that what I do eat it is the most nutritious foods I can, starting my meals with something that is high in Protein....because once I get through the Protein portion, I usually do not have the ability to get through the sides......

If I was to start with the mashed potatoes first, I will not be able to get through the protein....one of the rules I was taught early on...protein first...now I know why....

I also tart the day with a home made high protein smoothie in my blender...have been doing that ever since surgery...I am unable too eat any solid foods in the morning....

Plus, my smoothies are 35 gm protein, plus all the other nutrients, I would be hard pressed to eat anything in a small portion to match that....

So i am starting my day with 35gm protein, right out the gate.

There are foods, again because of the band...I no longer eat.....Meat, just about anything made from flour such as breads, pastries, do-nuts, Pasta, cakes and pies, dinner rolls.....also rice, globs of melted cheese. The list does go on....

Foods that are deep fried give me problems....

When I sit back and look at the foods I no longer eat, I realize they are foods that are not that good for me in the first place....so actually I am pleased....

So....because of the band, I can only eat a certain portion size....AND there are foods I no longer eat, which are not good for me in the first place.....all I need to do is choose high protein, non fatty foods...then there is not much room, if any at all, for much more....

I do not count calories, nor do I measure/weigh portion sizes...I used to in the beginning...there is not much else you can do when you're just starting out and still trying to get the band (and yourself) properly adjusted.

I also CANNOT drink with my meals....again, because the portion sizes are limited, I do not want to increase the volume by adding Water.....I have, only to experience pain, and have it all come right back up having no where else to go....

So, I do not follow any "Diet" Plan.....what I do is "Listen" to my band....always looking for high protein foods to eat such as fish and chicken.....avoid the foods that are not band friendly....

Also, if I do not feel like eating, I don't....which can be often because the band has taken away hunger and desire to eat...simply no interest anymore...my tastes have also changed...

To me, it is ALL about the band.....and I have not been disappointed....and I recognize that everyone will have different experiences...the band is adjustable. What path someone else follows to loose their weight is not important as long as it works for them....

I am simply sharing my experience, and NOT saying you must do the same, or that this is the ONLY way the band works....

There are people like that...I am not one of them...

Edited by B-52

Karen I am with you on the Maryland crab cakes. My fathers family was from Cambridge and my Aunt used to make the best crab cakes. I remember her sitting at the table with a bushel of crabs and clean and pick them all. Then there was heaven when she got done.

Yep, boring eater here too. Thing is, food doesn't interest me as much as it use to. I use to look forward to my meals and now, not so much. I make sure I get my 60 gms of Protein even if I have to finish the day off with a lite greek yogurt or a Protein shake. I try to get my Water in, though I'm having to learn to like it as well. I was a starch eater before and think it was my biggest problem. Funny how our taste buds change.

Breakfast: egg or Protein shake

Lunch: chili / pintos and cheese / turkey cheese roll up / Soup / half a thin whole wheat pita panini

Dinner: 2oz of meat with veg.

Snacks are Quest bar / Protein Shake / greek yogurt guacamole with some bean chips (Beanitos) / a couple slices of turkey / sugar free popsicles

For liquids I drink tea / Crystal Light / broth / watered down juice

I really like eating the same things over and over again. It makes me feel safe, it's easy, and I know it's working!!

Karen I am with you on the Maryland crab cakes. My fathers family was from Cambridge and my Aunt used to make the best crab cakes. I remember her sitting at the table with a bushel of crabs and clean and pick them all. Then there was heaven when she got done.

I am a crab cake snob! I have tried Florida crab cakes, they claim are "Maryland" crab cakes, no way!!

For me, I rely on my band to dictate my food intake, so I do not follow any "Diet" plans anymore such as Atkins, etc...

Since My band will allow me to eat just so much, all I need to do is make sure that what I do eat it is the most nutritious foods I can, starting my meals with something that is high in Protein....because once I get through the Protein portion, I usually do not have the ability to get through the sides......

If I was to start with the mashed potatoes first, I will not be able to get through the protein....one of the rules I was taught early on...protein first...now I know why....

I also tart the day with a home made high protein smoothie in my blender...have been doing that ever since surgery...I am unable too eat any solid foods in the morning....

Plus, my smoothies are 35 gm protein, plus all the other nutrients, I would be hard pressed to eat anything in a small portion to match that....

So i am starting my day with 35gm protein, right out the gate.

There are foods, again because of the band...I no longer eat.....Meat, just about anything made from flour such as breads, pastries, do-nuts, Pasta, cakes and pies, dinner rolls.....also rice, globs of melted cheese. The list does go on....

Foods that are deep fried give me problems....

When I sit back and look at the foods I no longer eat, I realize they are foods that are not that good for me in the first place....so actually I am pleased....

So....because of the band, I can only eat a certain portion size....AND there are foods I no longer eat, which are not good for me in the first place.....all I need to do is choose high protein, non fatty foods...then there is not much room, if any at all, for much more....

I do not count calories, nor do I measure/weigh portion sizes...I used to in the beginning...there is not much else you can do when you're just starting out and still trying to get the band (and yourself) properly adjusted.

I also CANNOT drink with my meals....again, because the portion sizes are limited, I do not want to increase the volume by adding Water.....I have, only to experience pain, and have it all come right back up having no where else to go....

So, I do not follow any "Diet" Plan.....what I do is "Listen" to my band....always looking for high protein foods to eat such as fish and chicken.....avoid the foods that are not band friendly....

Also, if I do not feel like eating, I don't....which can be often because the band has taken away hunger and desire to eat...simply no interest anymore...my tastes have also changed...

To me, it is ALL about the band.....and I have not been disappointed....and I recognize that everyone will have different experiences...the band is adjustable. What path someone else follows to loose their weight is not important as long as it works for them....

I am simply sharing my experience, and NOT saying you must do the same, or that this is the ONLY way the band works....

There are people like that...I am not one of them...

I have to follow a eating plan to help control my habits. If I don't watch myself I fall back into bad eating habits. Now I may follow Atkins but I don't make myself eat. i only eat when I am hungry and if I am hungry and get full while eating then I stop regardless of how many carbs I need. My body is weird. haha.

I should mention that when I say "diet" its not a bad thing. I am asking what everyone is eating also refereed to as a "diet." Even if it is just I eat whatever I please. That is still a form of diet. Just so everyone has an idea of what I am talking about.

di·et1

ˈdī-it/
noun
  1. 1.
    the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
    "a vegetarian diet"
    synonyms: selection of food, food, foodstuffs;
    informalgrub, nosh
    "health problems related to your diet"

That's what I figured, and responded as such. :-)

I also think it interesting and helpful to see what other folks are eating.

B-52 is correct in saying that the further along in the process you get, you are able to stray from the strictness and still maintain; ie, early on I restricted carbs, now I don't. Simply because I can't eat enough of them anymore to cause a gain! Well, maybe I could force them down in pain, but what's the point of that!

:-)

That's what I figured, and responded as such. :-)

I also think it interesting and helpful to see what other folks are eating.

B-52 is correct in saying that the further along in the process you get, you are able to stray from the strictness and still maintain; ie, early on I restricted carbs, now I don't. Simply because I can't eat enough of them anymore to cause a gain! Well, maybe I could force them down in pain, but what's the point of that!

:-)

I had gotten to the point that I was eating around the band. I went and got a fill and I knew I had to get back on track. Its a learning process that's forsure!!