Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks after surgery and hungry

I was banded the 16th of March. No fill for two full months allowed by my doctor. ;) I'm starving! I'm as hungry as I was prior to being banded. I have not lost one pound, not one! :lol: I called the doctor's office for help and was told no one said it would be easy. I'm frustrated and extremely depressed. Has anyone taken diet pills to help with the hunger to stay on the diet? Protein is not cutting the mustard. I admit I've gone off the wagon and ate a regular meal. I'm back on liquids though. Will the regular meal ruin the banding, 8 days after band? I can't imagine two months with no fills and expected to eat as if I were.

I was banded the 16th of March. No fill for two full months allowed by my doctor. :) I'm starving! I'm as hungry as I was prior to being banded. I have not lost one pound, not one! :) I called the doctor's office for help and was told no one said it would be easy. I'm frustrated and extremely depressed. Has anyone taken diet pills to help with the hunger to stay on the diet? Protein is not cutting the mustard. I admit I've gone off the wagon and ate a regular meal. I'm back on liquids though. Will the regular meal ruin the banding, 8 days after band? I can't imagine two months with no fills and expected to eat as if I were.

My Dr. doesn't do his first fill for 7 weeks. But I do not feel hungry for the most part. I feel like I can't get enough to drink, almost dehydrated. But if I drink my Protein shake ( and it has 23 grams of Protein plus the protein from the skim milk (8)- so I guess 31 grams all together.) and I drink my Water or SF Koolaide all day long I'm usually not hungry until about 7pm and I drink another Protein Shake to give me my 60+ grams of protein/day. Have you tried a higher protein shake? or have you tried eating some creamed Soup or even some SF fudgcicles? Anyway, some suggestions...hope they help. It sounds as if your Dr. and staff do not have good "bedside manner". I might try to located a different Dr. that can do fills in your area. Try and stick to the diet and hang in there. I don't understand why you haven't lost any weight????:phanvan

Yes I'm hoping someone can help me too. I was banded on 3/1/07 and am able to eat pretty much anything now (and have been). I am going on vacation and not getting my first fill until 4/17. HELP....I'm worried I may gain weight while on vacation. :hungry:

Hello Bansters! Got my Band on March 14th - Dr Stening at Southern Highlands Private Hospital in NSW Australia officiated. The shoulder/neck pain is referred pain. So you know how someone having a heart attack gets pain down their left arm. The arm is OK but the pain is referred from the chest. I am 13 days post-op & still get a twinge now & then but it is resolving

Hello all.

I was considering a band and have met with the surgeon. He said I might have to take blood thinners to reduce a chance of a clot forming. Has this happened to anyone here??

And also does anyone know the actual reason why smoking is completely prohibited after surgery??

I'm working on my pros and cons list and any and all facts to consider would be appreciated.

Thank you, and best of luck to you all.

:)

I'm pretty sure that everyone has to have some sort of blood thinners before and after surgery. I had one shot before and every so many hours after surgery. It is just to prevent the formation of a blood clot.

As far as smoking...Smoking can help the formation of a blood clot. (to not go into a long explanation). I don 't know if your surgeon is saying to never smoke again or just not right after surgery. I mean if you can go for a couple weeks without, naturally I would say try and not, but you are giving up food I don't know if giving up two things at once would be a good idea in your head...lol...and by giving up I mean making your life better by eliminating massive amounts of food. :) You can do it if you put your mind to it! We will all be here to get you through!:)

Hello Bansters! Got my Band on March 14th - Dr Stening at Southern Highlands Private Hospital in NSW Australia officiated. The shoulder/neck pain is referred pain. So you know how someone having a heart attack gets pain down their left arm. The arm is OK but the pain is referred from the chest. I am 13 days post-op & still get a twinge now & then but it is resolving

I am glad to know it resolves! Mine has been really aggrivating me! My shoulder really bothers to point of not sleeping and not really lifting much either. It isn't a pain though, it is just annoying. You know....

Does yours still hurt when you are full? I was told that my left shoulder would hurt when I had enough to eat even if my stomach says I'm still hungry. It is like "the sign" or something...do you have that?

I share your pain!! Am 13 days post-op. For the first week I had incessant gas and diarrhoea. Used 3 pkts of diarrhoea pills, got on the Yakult, Inner Life caps (25 billion good bacteria) & eventually a homeopathic remedy (R4) & it subsided. But I have to keep taking all this stuff or it comes back!

Plus I can hardly bear to have any more shakes & am hungry:think. I have been having pureed Soups, yogurts and some light solids like crackers & cheese or dip. I am so worried I will have moved or damaged my banding but I just can't do it anymore with the liquid diet. Plus if I am not careful, the liquid emerges rapidly from the other end with great fanfare & trumpeting, if you get my drift.

My next appt with the good doc is in a week - I am hoping I will get my first fill (is that the term for getting saline into the balloon?) but maybe it will be just a checkup.

Anyway, after I did reasonably well with the Optifast stint now I am disappointed in my compliance with the postop regime. I do chew everything very well & have plenty fluids if I have some crackers.

I share your pain!! Am 13 days post-op. For the first week I had incessant gas and diarrhoea. Used 3 pkts of diarrhoea pills, got on the Yakult, Inner Life caps (25 billion good bacteria) & eventually a homeopathic remedy (R4) & it subsided. But I have to keep taking all this stuff or it comes back!

Plus I can hardly bear to have any more shakes & am hungry:think. I have been having pureed Soups, yogurts and some light solids like crackers & cheese or dip. I am so worried I will have moved or damaged my banding but I just can't do it anymore with the liquid diet. Plus if I am not careful, the liquid emerges rapidly from the other end with great fanfare & trumpeting, if you get my drift.

My next appt with the good doc is in a week - I am hoping I will get my first fill (is that the term for getting saline into the balloon?) but maybe it will be just a checkup.

Anyway, after I did reasonably well with the Optifast stint now I am disappointed in my compliance with the postop regime. I do chew everything very well & have plenty fluids if I have some crackers.

I'm doing ok so far with the shakes I just have to switch flavors every once in a while. I noticed oday for the first time I was kind of nauseated and I have gotten like that before whe I did Atkins or something where I was eating the something all the time, but it could have been something esle I don't know. Did you ever get nauseus(sp)?

If your dr is the some as most of ours it seems you won't get a fill for 5-7 weeks post-op.

Thank for the info though! I would try to stay on the soups and maybe try to change the drink to slim fast or something (high protein) I like the slim fast HP. They are pretty good.

Hope that helped. Keep your head up! We did this for health and happiness and that will come soon!!!:clap2:

Thanks for that reply Jenny. I am just "having one of those days" & your warmth & encouragement have spurred me on. I go back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks off & it's a bit scary. But I think it will help to be busy again. Will stick with the Soup, yogurt & shakes.< /p>

I had that pain in my neck as well. It started in my left shoulder blade, went up to my shoulder and into my neck. Felt like a pinched nerve! It is from the gas pushing on a nerve. I found laying down or laying down on my left side makes the pain go away.

It's all a bit weird in the first few days... don't worry things will get easier.

if you are concerned about any pain that u really feel are strange, contact your doctor.

I know you won't believe me now... but the iiquid diet is worth it. liquids will keep your band in place so you can heal.

I was a mad cow throughout liquids but its worth it!

Now over 3 months in... i couldn't feel better...