Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out of control!

Blossom, don't worry, we've all been there. My "last supper" added 7 lbs. It was disconcerting since I really thought I had a handle on my eating--I'd lost 30 lbs in the previous 8 months--but my subconscious had other ideas. It just proved to me how big the disconnect is between what I *should* eat and what I *want* to eat.

I just had Chinese food for dinner, one of my all-time favorites and always a gorge-fest in the past. Well, I ate one eggroll and half of my small tofu Szechan style, and I'm as full as if I ate Thanksgiving dinner. It's NOT a good feeling--once again, I ate too fast and outpaced what my body can hold. AARGH!!! But, and here's the big thing, this amount is a mere FRACTION of what I would have eaten before. Now this much makes my stomach and chest hurt, and hopefully the next time I will stop before this point.

I love my band. Sometimes it's hard to tell, considering the way I try to ignore it, but I do.

Originally posted by LOVEMEACB4E

HELLO ALL. I FINALLY GOT APPOVED FOR MY LAP BAND TODAY. MY QUESTION IS...HOW LONG WILL I BE IN PAIN AFTER I AM FINISHED WITH THE SURGERY. I HAVE A SIT DOWN JOB AND I WAS WONDERING WILL I BE ABLE TO GO BACK TO WORK WITHIN 3 DAYS?

welcome !! 3 days sounds a bit early to me. in my case, the third day was about the worst, but some folks say they did it with no problems. I would encourage anyone to take AT LEAST a week.

I would encourage anyone having major surgery to take at least a week off regardless of the type of surgery. You just need time to heal and to let you body adjust.

Everyone's pain tolerance is different. Mine was minimal but the discomfort was worse the second day for me. But I attribute that to not being made to get up and walk sooner. Use a pillow to splint your abdomen when you walk, get up or down from a chair or bed, cough, sneeze, or anything that will put a strain on your abdominal area.

Donali, I am so going to HUG you big time at the Vegas Bash. You are such a breath of fresh air around here and we miss your insight alot.

Hi Alex,

Believe it or not, I get the cravings for carbs everyday. My biggest weakness is tortilla chips, something I didnt even eat before banding. I think since I eat bread so infrequently, the craving for crunchy carb sustenance is the one I have to be really careful with. So most days, I can stop myself at 4-5 chips. I also buy soy chips which I love and feel less guilty eating since I get some Protein out of this. I have a new treat which I indulge in once a week, sometimes twice. I go to Marble Slab Creamery and have their chocolate sugar free fat free soft serve yogurt with peanuts. Only 108 calories a serving and I swear I cant tell the difference between this and regular chocolate ice cream. I am trying to find a way to make it at home with a yogurt soft serve maker, since it cost almost 3 bucks for a 5 oz serving. A few of the times I went to marble slab, the machine was broken and I had to drive 6 -10 miles to another location to get some. Now this is desperation!!!

babs in TX

334/200/170

6/23/03

Blossom

Don't feel bad. I did the same "eat all you want" thing too when I made up my mind to get the surgery - and I'm not even approved yet! So now I have 10 more lbs. to lose too that I didn't have before. :D

hopeful1

Alex, Donali,

thanks for your reminders - I went to bed last night way happier, and focused. I feel so much calmer about the carb/overeating thing - now I'm a thinking overeater....aaaarrgghhh:D

Donali - What the Fudge....? Are you woman of the year or what? I can't believe you are doing all those tasks yourself! I pride myself in being a diy kinda gal, but whooaaahhh, compared to you, flinging up porches, and ripping out doors, I look like Paris Hilton! Stop making me look bad..........

Oh and just when I was calm, I found I could eat a whole bowl of bran flakes for brekkie this morning - with NO restriction, golf ball, anything - I normally can't eat anything much in the mornings so was shocked to see the bowl empty....I'm trying to tell myself it's because I have stopped eating past 7 in the evenings and my band is lighter in the morning because of it....but I am actually convinced my band has slipped....now where is my Drama Queen tiara to wear today.........:D

Donali, are you kidding? Wow!! It's people like you who deserve to own houses. I'm afraid I am probably cut out for apartment dwelling--though I own a lovely 120-y.o. home it's woefully neglected. I mean, Dh does what's needed when he can, but I look around and all I see is unrealized potential. Does that get me motivated? No.

Can you bottle some of that motivation and energy? You're going to be so proud of yourself!!! And, of course, we want to see photos.

Back on track with this thread: I'm finding that as I eat less I actually WANT less. Overeating is a self-fulfulling prophecy, which is probably due to pouch stretching and the numbing of nerves that otherwise would be more sensitive. So the answer to the fact that it's taking more to make me FEEL full is to eat less and allow myself to feel satisfied. The band makes that possible, and I just have to sit on my hands after a reasonable-sixe meal and let the band do its magic.

Everyone with me? SIT! :D

I've felt under the weather the last week, haven't exercised regularly, and eaten a lot of soft foods (puddings, etc.). (for sore throat). I can feel the effects. It's so easy to "undo" healthy eating habits and exercising. This thread helped give me a good reality check. Thanks!

Hey, Donali, is there absolutelyl ANYTHING that you can't do? Wonder Woman!:D

I'm so glad I am not alone in the pre-band binging!!!!:D I thought it was just me. I am starting to get better about it, so hopefully I won't gain any more before the surgery.

Donali, I just went back and read your post. Girl, I wish I had your energy!!! :( Good luck with all your projects!

Don't feel so bad Alex, I ate 4 chocolate chip Cookies and a 3 musketeers bar at work the other day. I was having a bad day at work and that snack machine was calling my name, I felt so guilty afterwards.......I was back on track yesterday.....that is until my next out of control episode. I have a dr appt on Monday to beg for a fill. I can eat almost everything since they unfilled my band. Donali......you are one amazing person....I can't even hang a picture straight.