Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect in first week

Hi everyone, I have my surgery date.of 4th Jan booked in. Question is what should I buy to have on hand to help through the first few days.

You've all experienced the procedure and what those first few days are like. If you have any tips or recommendations on what to buy or do for those crucial first few days it would be great to hear them.

Thanks!! :)

food wise, I had on hand, sugar free Jello and Popsicles, chicken/beef broth (you will get sick of sweet real quick), Crystal Lite drinks, Protein shakes, 100% juice (especially if diabetic and on meds in case of sugar drops). Your doctor's office should give you a list of things to have and that you are supposed to have...mine gave me a pretty thorough list. My biggest advice for the time post surgery is to remember this is NOT forever. liquid diet is temporary...good luck!!!

I used a heating pad for the gas pains. I used it on my shoulder/back for the first week. It helped a lot! Also, remember to walk, walk, and walk some more. Moving will help with all the trapped air in your body. Remember, though, you are healing and you don't want to over do. It's OK to ask for help from others (that was the hardest part for me). Good luck! Keep us posted on your recovery :)

First of all - CONGRATULATIONS!

What a great way to start out the new year! I agree with Sherlock your Dr will give you a list of what you can eat. In my experience I wasn't really hungry the first week after my surgery. It's important to remember everyone is different. I will be looking forward to reading how your journey is going.

Best Wishes!

:lol: Way to go on the upcoming change of your lifetime!! :D

I just got banded December 6th, 2013. All I can say is you have made a wonderful decision. I did have some pain but nothing big. I only took my perscribed pain meds once. Then went to Ibuprofen the rest of the time. Before my surgery I made a huge pot of homemade chicken broth and froze indiviual serving so I could just pull out a baggie take it with me to work/school (full time student) and thaw it out. and go. sugar free Jello, popcicles, were my best friend. I tried the whole pureed food once I was on mushie food. But OMG!! Nasty..was so happy the day I could eat a real bite of something..anything. And I feel so much better. Swelling is gone for what I notice..And in just a whole Im feeling GREAT!!

I wish you the best on your upcoming surgery. Keep us informed...!!

Best Wishes!!

Lapbandchic73

Hello! Apologies for the delayed reply, have flown back to the UK for Christmas and have spent most of it travelling around London and the north to see people.

Your replies have been most helpful. Can I ask how long you had off work? Will pretty much be working from home as of the day or two afterwards. I don't see why I cant as long as I am in bed, resting I can keep my mind active as well.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas

DP

I've a little bit of a rougher time. I am four days postop. I've had a lot of gas pain. They puff gas into your abdomen for the surgery and take most of it out before sewing up. It can hang around though in your abdominal cavity and manifest itself as chest or shoulder pain. Make sure to have GasEx strips or chewable GasEx on hand and take them even when you're not feeling the pains. I had a little pain today, four days out, but the last three were rough.

I'm a nurse, so my surgeon gave me two weeks off. I'm glad of it. I definitely wouldn't be wanting to go back tomorrow. From what I've read on here, most people have an easier time than I've had. Just take it easy. It will all pass!

I am 7 days post op. my fiancé did rapid, hard tapping on my back and shoulders for the gas pain. The gas was gone after he did that. I only had gas pain for 24 hours. Yes, sick of the sweet. I am on the Soup diet now. Adding chicken breast to everything for added Protein. I put the soup in the magic bullet mixer with the chicken to purée it. Not bad. Drinking V8 too. I haven't had any problems. Down 15 lbs today. Good luck with your surgery and keep us all posted.

I was extremely nauseas for the first 5 days. I mostly drank mint herb tea or lemon ginger tea and honey. GasX is a must! Water! Water! Water!

My surgeon put a small patch behind my left ear before surgery. This was for nausea. They told me to keep it on for 3 days. I wasn't nauseated at all! It really helped. I did tv have to take gas x either. The hard tapping got the gas out of me.

Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas. Sounds like Gas X is the way forward! As well as a hot water bottle. Will be dropping the surgeon another note too with questions.