Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Follow ups

Guest TammyT

Guest TammyT

Hello, I am new to this board so if this question has been asked before please forgive me. I am trying to narrow down my decision to a local doctor or a Mexico doctor. I just recieved an email from Dr. Cirangle in San Francisco and his fees are as follows

$375.00 Consultation Appointment (due day of)

$1,000 Anesthesia (due 10 days before)

$6,500 Hospitalization (1 night) (due when check-in)

$5,000 Surgeon’s fee (2 wks before surgery)

$3,500 for 3yr fu or $300/visit (pay day before)

-------

$12,500 (w/out fu) -$16,500 (w/fu) +$375 consult fee

My question is is it worth paying for the 3yr follow up fee or pay as you go? I believe it will be worth paying the difference and have it done here close to home and not travel to Mexico. I just dont like that it doesnt cover the follow up. Thank you TammyT

I believe you are certainly right. The only question I have is : does he do fills in office with no flouro? If you need flouro there will probably be more charges. I would think this follow up would only cover his office type procedures/visits. Anything outside that will be additional.

Guest TammyT

I just spoke to Dr Cirangles office and those fees do not cover any per op test and do not cover flouro. They said they have never used floura on their own patients. They only use flouro on patients they didnt do the lapband operation on. And it would cost $300.00 for Doctors fee and $200.00 for the hospital fee. Do you know if the doctors fees in Mexico include any pre op test? The fees just keep adding up.

Fly to Mexico or go to San Fancisco:cry

I'm sorry, I don't know much about Mexico. I know most of those include everything and the only pre-op most of them do is bloodwork and possibly an EKG on the day of or before surgery. I think it's included in the total.

It sounds as if Cirangle does his fills in office, without flouro. That's all well and good if he has no problem accessing your port, but I would think you would need flouro at some time in your banded life. I've heard many good things about him, his patients love him and I definitely support local care due to the possibilities of complications such as being over-filled or port problems etc. Things can and do happen with the band. I would hate to know my doc was hours and hours away and it's expensive to fly back and forth, not to mention very uncomfortable if you are in pain or nauseated.

He has a very good banding reputation. 3 yrs follow up is probably worth that extra amount of money, but I'd have them lay out for me what that included.

Fills, port problems sometimes require minor procedures in office, I'd ask if these were extra or part of that 3 yr coverage. If so, I would feel comfortable with it. In the long run, I think it would be far less expensive than trips to Mexico.

Just my opinion. There are many others who can help you with the questions about Mexican docs at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/mexicanbandsters/

I went to Mexico for surgery. I live in Southern California. My fee of 8995.00 covered all pre op tests, lodging for me and my spouse, surgery, doctors fees and hospital fee. The only extras I have are $100 for my fills and post op visits which is done under fluoro. I have had 2 fills and I'm half way to my goal weight. Then there is 5$ cab ride to and from the border and 7$ parking on the US side of the border so it is 117 each time I go back to Mexico. I do not plan on going for another fill anytime soon since I feel I have hit my sweet spot with my current fill level of 2cc's. For me it was well worth it to go to Mexico. I'm just an hour and half away from the border. Godd luck to you with your decision..

Can you get your PCP to order the pre-op tests for you? If you have insurance they should cover this. Just pick up the results at your Dr's office and bring them to your surgeon. Most of these tests are required by anesthesia, if you have them done at the hospitals lab (as an outpatient) they should be available on there computer system.

Just a way to help cut down on costs.

Lisa

Where are you located in California??? I was banded in Mexico but use a Ventura, CA surgeon now for my follow up. I would highly suggest calling him to see what he charges.

Dr. Helmuth Billy

124 N. Brent St

Ventura, CA 93003

805-648-2227

Heather Jacobsen - Insurance Coordinator

805-648-2227 ext 105

Sara Reyes - RN for Dr. Billy

805-648-2227 ext 110

post-204009-13813131327017_thumb.jpg

O.K. Penni, now you have his picture on your post too! lol I think the more weight she loses, she gets closer to Dr. Billy! lol

Just kidding, but he is a cutie!

Betty

Ya know...How much money on average is spent on after-care for a typical bandster??? So far I've spent $527.00 total for 3 fills, 1 under Flouro and a 4th fill scheduled next week, add 200. $727.00. I will say so far I'm lucky..

Just wondering what others have paid for a fill/fills, lets say for a year estimating? Is $3,500 for 3 years worth it.

FYI Also Dr. McKeen will take MX or other Dr.s' patients for after care/fills. He's in San Jose. CA

Guest TammyT

Thank you guys I think I will call the doctor in San Jose and see what his prices are I believe he will be closer than the doctor in Ventura since I live in close to Santa Rosa. Dr Cirangles office is holding a siminar next weekend in Petaluma. I hope he will be there so I can see what he is like.

It would be nice to find out how many follow ups everyone has had to do, fills/check ups.

And if they think the 3 yr follow up charge would be worth it?

Thank you again TammyT

I've heard only good things about Dr. Cirangle. I used Dr. Wetter. Good surgeon, sucky office. I think he's too busy. I lived in Santa Rosa too. Back home in Texas now.

I was banded May 29, 2003, had a one week visit, 6 week visit, 3 fills the first year. Then, a total unfill and a re-banding June/July the following year.

I got banded by Dr. Rumbaut and loved my experience so much. He has doctors that he has worked with that will do his fills for my I will go to Dr. Felding in NYC. He also has done over 2,600 lap bands. Dr. Rumbaut is very fond of him I called his office and it is going to be 500. for a consultation and then 100. each fill after that. How ever If I wanted to go back to Mexico with I did love it in Monterrey Dr. Rumbaut does it free.