Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are my other problems going to go away?

I am about five months pre-op going through the medicare steps so I can have the RNY. I am 66, have had one heart attack that killed me deader than a road kill frog and two more pre attacks with a couple of more stints. Collesterol is under control now, high blood pressure is under control, diabetes is under control, peripheral neuropathy of feet is under control, weight is holding even, I work out every other day for two hours and have so religiously for 21 years.

I have heard once you get the weight off that most of these problems go away or get less severe. What can I expect? Will I be able to get rid of all these medicines helping to keep collesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. under control???

What have you longer term folks experienced ? I not only want about 65 pounds gone but I want to get rid of all these meds that probably have more side effects than they help.

I like being above ground. Thanks for your help.

Your surgeon and cardiologist are the ones best qualified to tell you what to expect with your specific medical history. A heart attack damages the heart muscle, so losing weight seems unlikely repair the tissue damage or clear out the clogged arteries.

However, people generally experience improved health with the weight loss and by making better food choices going forward. Three weeks after RNY at 60, my cardiologist reduced the dose of one of my meds for congestive heart failure by half and said I might be taken off that med entirely at one year. I don't eat fatty foods or junk food anymore so my cholesterol should be coming down. Most importantly, the weight loss reduces the stress on the heart muscle and joints and that is a huge contributor to quality of life. Best wishes.

I agree with Turn the page..any damage done is pretty much done as for as your previous heart crisis. The good news is by getting A more definite handle of your health by having RNY..you reduce the chances of repeat heart attacks and other health conditions. Any steps you make forward to a healthier lifestyle and reduction in weight is positive steps to a longer happier life. Good luck!!

What is done is history, but you have a say in your future. By leading a healthier lifestyle you are increasing your odds to prevent more damage to your body. You may need some meds in the future all depending on your body and doctors. Keep up the good work and you will better your odds to less meds in your life

I am about five months pre-op going through the medicare steps so I can have the RNY. I am 66, have had one heart attack that killed me deader than a road kill frog and two more pre attacks with a couple of more stints. Collesterol is under control now, high blood pressure is under control, diabetes is under control, peripheral neuropathy of feet is under control, weight is holding even, I work out every other day for two hours and have so religiously for 21 years. I have heard once you get the weight off that most of these problems go away or get less severe. What can I expect? Will I be able to get rid of all these medicines helping to keep collesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. under control??? What have you longer term folks experienced ? I not only want about 65 pounds gone but I want to get rid of all these meds that probably have more side effects than they help. I like being above ground. Thanks for your help.

I also have many of the same health problems and my pcp has already told me that most of my meds will eventually be phased out. The neuropathy meds will go in due time, most Bp meds can be phased out, and tho the heart attacks can't be undone, the weight loss will prevent new ones, take much uncalled for stress off ur heart. (And mine!) Also... From personal experiences any time I lose weight.... The neuropathy will improve the more weight u lose! As will ur diabeties!!! I have neuropathy to the point I can be walking and my legs just go numb, then burn, tingle, and then the electric like surging begins... If I don't sit right away... I will fall face first!!

Oh and when u go try this lifestyle change.... Many people (per research I've done) also have lowered cholesterol as a bonus!

Before my bypass, I was on three oral meds for type 2 diabetes and one for hypertension. When I left the hospital after my surgery, I was only on one medication for diabetes. A week later, that one was gone as well. My blood sugar is normally between 95-115 since surgery. Not great yet, but pretty darned good. i'm hoping my numbers will continue to go down as I lose more weight. Good luck to you!

Oh and when u go try this lifestyle change.... Many people (per research I've done) also have lowered cholesterol as a bonus!

I was on medication for high cholesterol. Shortly before my surgery my endocrinologist took me off them because they were affecting my liver. If my liver improved in a few months he was going to switch me to another medication. My first labs at 10 weeks post RNY showed my cholesterol was in normal range, so I didn't need meds at all, and my liver was normal, too. :-)