Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamins and the DS

DS Switcher: I do not know your surgery type. And like I already stated, how much we supplement is based upon our own individual lab results. So without knowing your labs, I could not possibly dream of commenting. I don't give personal Vitamin advice. I refer you to Vitalady, who has print-outs of the recommended STARTING points for supplementation for each surgery type. Of course, if you are working to raise any level, your amount will vary. And frequent labs to follow your progress are not only suggested, but vitally important. When supplementing with fat soluble vites, you don't want to over-shoot your goal.

I'm offended by the term "nannying" and the threatening statements that vets will be ran off.

It seems we should all be able to communicate politely. It doesn't hurt to reread your post, to check to see if it could be misinterpreted.

If someone calls you out on something, and you didn't intend for it to be read that way, then just clarify and we can all move on.

Obviously, we all mean well.

Since i am new who and what is the Vitalady?

Michelle aka Vitalady (vitalady.com) is the screen name of a LONG time member of the bariatric community (as in almost 20 years) who owns/runs a small business selling vitamans that can not be found on the open market for those of us who have had WLS.

But what makes her unique is her information on Vitamins, offered freely even if you do not buy from her. No, she is not an RD but to be honest, she knows as much or more than most of them. Her basic premise is to track your OWN labs and tweak the amounts you need to take based on your own labs. But many do not know how to read lab work, she can help if needed.

Her surgery is a distal RNY (the pouch of a RNY'er with the intestinal configuration more closely resembling a DS'er.)

Michelle aka Vitalady (vitalady.com) is the screen name of a LONG time member of the bariatric community (as in almost 20 years) who owns/runs a small business selling vitamans that can not be found on the open market for those of us who have had WLS.

But what makes her unique is her information on Vitamins, offered freely even if you do not buy from her. No, she is not an RD but to be honest, she knows as much or more than most of them. Her basic premise is to track your OWN labs and tweak the amounts you need to take based on your own labs. But many do not know how to read lab work, she can help if needed.

Her surgery is a distal RNY (the pouch of a RNY'er with the intestinal configuration more closely resembling a DS'er.)

Thank you for the info. I will be looking in to this

Vitalady's site is excellent and she certainly was a help to me. I would advise anyone to visit her site.

Hi Gottalose,

Well said. I prefer not to police and silence people. Sometimes, what we write is not received the way it was intended and people get hurt or angry. We all share the desire to be healthy and support one another. Hopefully, that guiding intent will keep things running smoothly. Vets are most welcome here and their experiences and advice are important.

I'm offended by the term "nannying" and the threatening statements that vets will be ran off.

It seems we should all be able to communicate politely. It doesn't hurt to reread your post, to check to see if it could be misinterpreted.

If someone calls you out on something, and you didn't intend for it to be read that way, then just clarify and we can all move on.

Obviously, we all mean well.

Having reviewed them all, I am going with Vitalady.com. I have seen so many passionate DS committed to the program.... Many of them several years out...

If you don't take major Vitamins as a DSer, your labs will be in the shitter within the year. You have to learn about Vitamins (start with Vitalady program). Learn that routine of vits. She sells them premade so all you have to do is open the packs and swallow the pills. Do that in the beginning and learn what all the pills are. Then buy them on your own. I buy most of my vits on line, but go back to Vitalady for tender Iron.

Then at 6 months get your labs pulled and compare them to what your labs were before surgery (please get your labs done before you go under the knife!). You need to track where all your tests results are trending, and if they are going down then you need to increase that Vitamin. Going up or test shows they are too high, you cut back. You need to track and tweak your pills based on those numbers. This is why every DS person takes different levels of vitamins.

I see some of the DS veterans are on here which is good for the new people. I learned so much from them, so listen to their advise.

Edited by janet1000

My dr said don't waste your money. Get regular Flintstones Vitamins (chew 2 a day) a b-12 and viactive

You will find yourself grossly deficient and sick in record time if you follow that regimen.