Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I'm new here, and trying to decide if I want to persue a lap band or not. I'm 29 yrs old, 5'7" tall, 265 lbs. I have PCOS, pre-diabetes, and occasional high blood pressure. I'm very confused right now about my direction and reading about others experiences.

Oceanspirit,

I am also new here and trying to decide to band or not. I am attending the info seminar next week. I'm 31, 5'6", 290 lbs & also have PCOS. I've been big all my life really. Where are you located? Good luck with your decision--I've been on here nightly for a week or more reading post after post. Perhaps the seminar will answer every possible question.

Hi! Welcome to LBT...Please tell us more about your journey as you decide.

You are both quiet young and would truely have a lifetime to reap the rewards of weightloss and added health.

I'm 34 almost 35 and am to be banded 4-2-07...5'6" @ 367# no health issues YET. I have not been very sucessful in healthy weight maintenance since I was 18 years old. I know this is the option for me (not bypass) and I can't do it on my own.

We each need to make an informed decission, and with much research it should come easy, but not lightly! Use all your options to find information.

good luck and health to you both

Oceanspirit and flowergurl~

My name is Julie, I am 48, 254 lbs. I have battled with my weight since my first child in 1979. I have Rhuematoid Arthritis, Fibromialgia, High blood pressure, insulin resistance, a genetic back problem and Migraines. I am in constant pain of some kind. I am fairly new to LBT as a registered user however, I have been checking posts on here since Sept/Oct 06. I have been encouraged by the information that you find on LBT. I had decided to have surgery then I decided not to. But I have made the decision to go through with it and I am scheduled for April 2nd. I am glad that I waited the extra few months I'm not sure I was really ready but now I am.

All of my conditions are worse with the weight. I am on disability because of pain. I wish I had had the opportunity to have this done when I was your age. But, I also agree with maziemommy that an informed decission and research is the best way to decide. Use this site the people here are great and can help you make your decissions.

Best of Luck to both of you!!

CJULZGO--off topic--my DH also suffers from "fibro" he is one of few men who get it. Could you tell me alittle about your experience with it? I know for some, things like this are quite personal and I can respect that..I'm just curious, because it affects our whole family in ways I never expected, and at times it is difficult for me--and him!!! Any thing you could offer would be appreciated.

Welcome!

I encourage you to go to the Forum Jump at the bottom of the site and see all of the topics. I spent days reading doctors and hospitals and insurance issues. You can read my insurance woes in the Blue Cross thread.

I weight 361 at this moment. Last week I was up to 372 having spent a week in bed from an ankle sprain. I fall so easily these days. I have Type II diabetes, high blood pressure which is controlled by medication. I also have diverticulitis and sleep apnea. I am on 8 medications and use a CPAP machine for the apnea. My insurance denied my surgery despite the all clear from all the other doctors. I have an "exclusion" that specifically does not cover anything related to weight loss or weight gain.

Do as much research as possible. Make phone calls to these doctors and ask questions. do what you feel is the right thing for you. Most of us have been BURNED by the arch angel of weight loss who lives on the air at midnight in the form of infomercials or in print ads with promises of "tighter abs" (and a glowing white smile and hot looking partner to go with it). Do what is right for you.

maziemommy~

Fibromialgia has a lot of symptons like arthritis and chronic fatigue. This past week has been bad for me. Either I can't sleep without meds or I am so tired that I sleep all the time. I have not been up before noon any day in the past week. I am on disability due to chronic back pain and the other things.

My doctor says that I should not drink caffine after noon but it doesn't matter if I am going through a phase where I can't sleep then I just plain and simply can't sleep. They tell me to change my diet and to exercise. But, I can hardly drag myself around my apartment to do the cleaning let alone exercise. I have been exercising but it is very difficult because it causes a set back. Then I will go into a depression.

I'm not sure what else to tell you except that it does affect my whole family also. My kids are grown and out of the house. But they worry about me a lot. I live with my fiance and luckily he is very very patient with me. But I know it is not easy for him.

If you would like to talk privately I am on yahoo messenger at crystalglow1@yahoo.com. I would be happy to visit with you more about it.

I welcome all of you,

I too am new to the banding world. I have decided to go ahead and have a surgery date April 16th. I think this is my chance to unload the 100 pound backpack I carry throughout my days. i think it is important to make an informed decision. It has taken me two years and yet another diet failure to commit. Best wishes and keep coming back to the site. This is a wonderful place for support whatever your decision is.

Flowergurl-

I am from KY. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 8 yrs ago. What about you if you don't mind my asking. Its been a long and hard journey. I went from being about 165 to being around 180 in less than 3 months. Then all the other stuff started happening. Anyways I have read that sometimes surgery can help. I found out that my insurance requires 6 months of medically supervised dieting prior to any acceptance. So today I have an appointment with an MD to start that. Hopefully it will work. If it doesn't then I've decided to have the lap band.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Like I said I have to see an MD for a medically supervised diet. If that doesn't work I will have the lap band.

What Is The Name Of Your Insurance Company? My Is Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal And They Are Telling Me The Same Thing About A 6 Week Medically Supervised Diet. Good Luck To You!

THODIE55: 6 WEEKS or 6 MONTHS of diet? I have BC/BS Federal also & I'm told they cover WLS but none of the reps knew anything about steps to getting an approval. :(

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome & support. At my weight, surprisingly, I do not have any other health problems besides the PCOS and/or insulin resistance. I don't look or feel healthy & with diabetes & high blood pressure on both sides of my family, I feel that I must do something fast before it catches up to me.

Oceanspirit: I was dx in 2000 after trying to get pregnant. I found a doctor who was willing to treat me for infertility despite my weight & I'm now a mother of 2 beautiful boys. But...the weight issue remains.

Where in KY are you? My in-laws live in KY.

Thanks again to everyone who replied to this thread although I feel like I'm "piggy-backing" Oceanspirit. :P

Do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions. Determine what kind of eater you are... sweets and high calories foods or a volume eater of healthy foods. Beware that ice-cream, chocolate, chips, and other simple carb. foods easily slip past the band.

Unlike gastric bypass, the band does NOT cause you to lose weight through malabsorption. It's a restrictive device designed to make you feel full after eating a balanced diet. SOME surgeons do not advise lapbanding if you're a junk food junkie while others say it doesn't matter.

Take your time and make an informed decision for yourself. Don't get talked into something you're not ready for or sure of. That said, I am happy that I went ahead with my surgery.

I Am Sorry, I Meant To Say '6 Month Medically Supervised Diet'. I Emailed Bcbs Federal And Ask Them About The 6 Month Diet And They Sent Me The Criteria For The Lap Band Surgery And I Couldn't See Anything About A 6 Month Supervised Diet. But The Bariatric Coordinator Said That Was What My Insurance Required. So I Have No Alternative But To Go With What The Coordinator Says.

I have Humana. I met with the doctor that will be supervising me for the next 6 months. I really liked her and the appointment went really well. I told her this was my last ditch effort to lose it without the aid of a band. She and I talked about the band as a tool for those who were unable to do it alone. She said that she would also test me for comorbidities related to weight should we decide the band would be the best alternative that way it would all be documented over time. What I'm doing so far seems like something I can live with and work into my life. Overall it was very positive. I haven't sent any paperwork in for the lap band yet. Since I have the six months there is no rush, and the surgeon fee is up front and insurance reimburses later, so I'm in no hurry to start paying them on the chance that I might actually have sucess with this medical supervised thing. I am from Louisville. I'm fortunate there are some really great bariatric physicians here both surgical and nonsurgical.