Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping After Erosion And Removal

Hello,

My band eroded,and I had to have it removed in October. Things didn't go to well in recovery, and I ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks. The hole in my stomach popped open while I was in there, I bled out and had to have a 4 unit blood transfusion and a second surgery to re-close the hole in my stomach. In all, I was off work for 7 weeks.

I'm back on solid foods now, and back to work. The problem is I still experience diarrhea almost every day. My PCP seemed to think it was due to percocet withdrawals(had my last pain pill a week ago), but I've read up and think it's more likely related to gastric dumping syndrome. I take Imodium AD per my doctor's instructions to manage the diarrhea, but it still gets pretty darn uncomfortable, especially if I eat just a little too much, and my body slowly lets me know that it's not happy.

The adhesions from my recent surgeries create enough discomfort, but when my guts start to act up, it just makes me feel nasty.

My original lap band surgeon in Mexico discovered that I had a hiatal hernia and decided to do a fundoplication while he was placing the band, so I get gassy and it's almost impossible to burp. All trapped gas has to come out the other end unless I jam my finger down my throat to purge the gas out of my stomach.

All in all, it's a very uncomfortable situation. Has anyone here experienced something similar after band removal? If so, did it resolve eventually? What did you have to do as far as procedures, medications, exercises, etc?

Wow, so sorry that you had to go through all of this. Sounds absolutely horrible! I have not gone through it, but I hope that the lingering issues resolve for you, sooner than later...

I'm just curious….. Band erosion is one of my biggest fears. Do you know what caused it?

Did you by any chance have your gallbladder removed at some point after your original lap band surgery because if so the diarrhea might be coming from that. Dumping usually happens to by pass patients that have their large intestines rerouted and can not absorb nutrients. Other then that it might just be your body getting used to food again.

I asked my surgeon what causes band erosion and he says there are lots of theorys but they haven't been proven and as far as hes concerned, its just something that happens at times. Hope you recover soon. Stay hydrated.

Cheryl... No gallbladder surgery. I did have a bit of pain under my right ribcage for several weeks following my reintroduction of solid foods, which I've more or less attributed to surgical adhesions since they hurt mostly when I move and twist in certain ways. My primary care physician also believes it's a matter of my body getting used to food again, as I went almost 5 weeks without food by mouth, incident to the band removal (1 week on saline IV, appx 4 weeks on TPN). That's comforting to know, although I do tend to get a little impatient once in a while wanting things to get back to "normal," and I just need to try and be more patient with my body.

mrsto... I have no clue why my band eroded, though I wish I did. It was placed by a surgeon in Mexico, and my new surgeon in Arizona took me in and seemed equally stumped. He didn't seem inclined to point to any particular cause, other than to say that people's bodies reject the band from time to time since it's a foreign object in the body.

Well I hope whatever it is that it stops and you can live a normal life. So are you opting for a different WLS or are you just going to forget about it. If my band ever has to come out I don't know but I would probably get the sleeve done. Hopefully I will never know though. Hope you get better soon.

HI!

I, too, am very sorry you have gone thru all that you've gone thru.

I imagine your body is somewhat in shock and trying to deal with the crisis.

I had my band removed in September after having a load of odd, very uncomfortable symtoms for a long time -- and my surgeon coming to the conclusion that my body was rejecting the band. No erosion or any other complication like that.

However, I do have a suggestion for you. I have no proof nor can I give you a reason why this has helped me, but would like to pass it along to you.

The surgeon who took out my band suggested I take a particular high quality probiotic called, Acute Care by Metagenics. There is a certain ingredient in that specific product that he thought would help me. I had symptoms of silent reflux and throat spasms. (If you want to know that certain ingredient, I will find it for you).

The surgeon told me that I will know without a doubt pretty much right away or within the first week of taking this probiotic, whether or not it is helping ---it would be that dramatic.

And sure enough, WOW! Very powerful and very impactful. No more gas, no more throat stuff. I feel normal and healthy. After 3 years of feeling poorly and being a human gas factory, I was suddenly a regular human being again!

I was taking raw Probiotics by a very well respected company, but this product left everything else in the dust.

So, I hope this helps.

The person who suggested your gall bladder might be involved...I agree. You said you still have yours and it may be working very hard along with your liver, trying to clear out the drugs and stress response hormones that were generated with what you're going thru. I am NOT a health professional in any way, shape, or form. But I think we all know surgery and all it entails can really do a number on our bodies.

I like that you are wanting to relax and give your body time to recover.

Like I said, I had mine out in September. My hair is still processing all that happened, has thinned somewhat, and has lost some of it's shine. So this recovery can take a while.

Be patient and kind to yourself.

I'm glad you're asking people here.

How long did you have your band?

I developed some food sensitivities after being banded. So, I am still careful with dairy, gluten, and sugar.

You may want to eat gently, eat easy to digest food even though you're wanting to just get back to normal.

Hopefully you'll be able to live and continue to lose weight without more weight loss surgery. I have chosen to not have any more surgery. I am continuing to lose weight (slowly, no where near as fast and consistent as with the band) and I feel good.

Please stay in touch and take one day at a time. Go gently.

~hiddn

Cheryl... Right now I work a much more physically demanding job than I did when I first got the band, so I'm optimistic that I'll be able to manage my weight w/o revising to a new WLS. That, and the fear of being cut on again keep me from jumping back into surgery just yet.

Hiddnstar... Great info on the probiotic, and thanks for all the info you shared! My family doctor is a big champion of the Probiotics, and told me that with the length of time I had been on antibiotics(4 wks on Unasyn, 2 wks on Augmentin), I definitely needed to get some good bacteria back into my gut. I too have throat spasms on occasion. Just finished a bottle of something from my local health food store, the name eludes me but it certainly didn't eliminate all my symptoms. I'll try to get ahold of the Acute Care by Metagenics you mentioned, see if it helps, and report back.

To answer your question: I had the band for just under two years. lost 80 lbs with it, then an additional 20 in the hospital after it was removed.

Thanks again to everyone who's shared helpful info and suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Hiddenstar - I'm interested to know the ingredient in the Metagenics probiotics. I've taken Natren Healthy Trinity on and off for a few years, and found it to be pretty good. But I have silent reflux, and sometimes it's pretty bad. My throat will swell up during the night, and I keep swallowing (what feels like) a lump. A lump that never goes down, because it's actually swelling from acid. I get hoarse during the day because my vocal chords are also affected. My ear nose & throat doctor diagnosed it, and put me on Omeprozole. I don't think taking that drug for long periods is a good idea, because it blocks the absorption of some b Vitamins. I'd love to go a more natural route…like probiotics….if they work on it. I'm familiar with Metagenics, and have taken other products by them. But I haven't ventured out into their probiotics. Sounds like I may have to check it out.

Edited by mrsto

Hiddenstar - I'm interested to know the ingredient in the Metagenics probiotics. I've taken Natren Healthy Trinity on and off for a few years, and found it to be pretty good. But I have silent reflux, and sometimes it's pretty bad. My throat will swell up during the night, and I keep swallowing (what feels like) a lump. A lump that never goes down, because it's actually swelling from acid. I get hoarse during the day because my vocal chords are also affected. My ear nose & throat doctor diagnosed it, and put me on Omeprozole. I don't think taking that drug for long periods is a good idea, because it blocks the absorption of some b Vitamins. I'd love to go a more natural route…like probiotics….if they work on it. I'm familiar with Metagenics, and have taken other products by them. But I haven't ventured out into their probiotics. Sounds like I may have to check it out.

HI!

Here is the info on the Metagenics Acute Care---actually the whole name is: UltraFlora Acute Care.

UltraFlora Acute Care features S. boulardii, B. Lactis HN019, and L. Rhamnosus HN001 to support a healthy intestinal microbial balance and provide targeted relief for acute bowel distress including occasional loose stools.*

• Supports a healthy intestinal environment and immune response.*
  • Provides targeted support for healthy intestinal function for jet-setting patients.*
  • Designed for reliable outcomes and acute care with a concentrated dose of S. boulardii.*
- See more at: http://www.metagenics.com/mp/products/ultraflora-acute-care#sthash.xbBwLnox.dpuf

UltraFlora Acute Care features S. boulardii, B. Lactis HN019, and L. Rhamnosus HN001 to support a healthy intestinal microbial balance and provide targeted relief for acute bowel distress including occasional loose stools.*

• Provides targeted support for healthy intestinal function for jet-setting patients.*
  • Designed for reliable outcomes and acute care with a concentrated dose of S. boulardii.*
- See more at: http://www.metagenics.com/mp/products/ultraflora-acute-care#sthash.xbBwLnox.dpuf

It's not letting me cut and paste, so I'll include a link instead. The ingredient is S. Boulardii.http://www.metagenics.com/mp/products/ultraflora-acute-care

I had what felt like a golf ball and then tennis ball in my throat for 2 years, so I understand what you are talking about. My voice would get hoarse, too. The product I take, now, is around $35 a month. I have to get it shipped. But so very much worth it to me.

There is something about the S. Boulardii that is special. It's one of those things that may have been meant for one thing, but has been discovered that it's helpful with another.

I hope the info helps you.

~hiddn

I went ahead and ordered some Acute Care, was able to get a decent discount through one website as a new customer. It should arrive by the end of this week. I'll take it and see if it helps.

hi!

Sorry about that messed up post above!! I kept pasting and didn't see it in the post...but apparently it pasted each time!

Slim in AZ, Im glad you're going to try the Acute Care. When I buy it online, it comes in a box with cold packs. Put the bottle in the refrig as soon as you get it :)

I hope it works for you! It's worth a try. And it may work a miracle.

~hiddn

Hiddenstar - I'm interested to know the ingredient in the Metagenics Probiotics. I've taken Natren Healthy Trinity on and off for a few years, and found it to be pretty good. But I have silent reflux, and sometimes it's pretty bad. My throat will swell up during the night, and I keep swallowing (what feels like) a lump. A lump that never goes down, because it's actually swelling from acid. I get hoarse during the day because my vocal chords are also affected. My ear nose & throat doctor diagnosed it, and put me on Omeprozole. I don't think taking that drug for long periods is a good idea, because it blocks the absorption of some b Vitamins. I'd love to go a more natural route…like probiotics….if they work on it. I'm familiar with Metagenics, and have taken other products by them. But I haven't ventured out into their probiotics. Sounds like I may have to check it out.

HI!

Here is the info on the Metagenics Acute Care---actually the whole name is: UltraFlora Acute Care.

It's not letting me cut and paste, so I'll include a link instead. The ingredient is S. Boulardii.http://www.metagenics.com/mp/products/ultraflora-acute-care

I had what felt like a golf ball and then tennis ball in my throat for 2 years, so I understand what you are talking about. My voice would get hoarse, too. The product I take, now, is around $35 a month. I have to get it shipped. But so very much worth it to me.

There is something about the S. Boulardii that is special. It's one of those things that may have been meant for one thing, but has been discovered that it's helpful with another.

~hiddn

Thank you so much! My internist sells Metagenics. I'm going to call tomorrow & see if she carries this specific thing. If not, I'll order it online. I hope it works the same for me!

HI!

~hiddn

Thank you so much! My internist sells Metagenics. I'm going to call tomorrow & see if she carries this specific thing. If not, I'll order it online. I hope it works the same for me!

Yes, I hope it works for you too! I'm sure glad my surgeon mentioned it to try. I bet your internist could order it for you, special, if she doesn't already carry it. It might be less expensive that way.

I'll be curious to hear how it works for you!

~hiddn

Yes, I hope it works for you too! I'm sure glad my surgeon mentioned it to try. I bet your internist could order it for you, special, if she doesn't already carry it. It might be less expensive that way.

HI!

~hiddn

I'll be curious to hear how it works for you!

~hiddn

Thanks hiddn! I'll let you know. The reflux has subsided somewhat since losing a chunk of weight, but it's horrible if I eat too close to bedtime. With the band, it's strongly advised that we don't eat anywhere near bedtime, but sometimes…..well, you know ;)

The thing that concerns me most about silent reflux, is the potential in developing cancer. My ENT told me when he diagnosed it, which is pretty scary. Though it's not common, it can happen. That's enough for me :o