Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all!

I began lurking since June 2013 when I decided to have VSG. At the first meeting with surgeon, they said I didn't have any restrictions and could have surgery ASAP. I started doing all required dr visits immediately. A few days later surgeons office called- they were wrong about no restrictions. I had to have 6 months dr visits and 5% weight loss. Not only that, I found out insurance didn't cover hospital I was using, and now have to use a surgeon that is about 2 hours away.

At first I was crushed and felt defeated. I quickly gathered my thoughts and realized this was a good thing. The time allowed me to really prepare myself mentally and to have my whole family eat healthier. In sept I stopped drinking all soda. I haven't had caffeine or carbonation since then. There have been times I've craved coke, but I haven't given in. For the 5% I had to lose, that meant 16 lbs. I gained 5. So now I had to lose 21 lbs. with one month to go before my 6 months would be up, I kicked it into gear and lost 22 lbs.

I finished all my requirements nov 4th. We submitted to insurance and waited. And waited. On nov 22, my case worker called to check on me. Apparently they were waiting on dr office to submit my clinical information. I called dr, they insisted they had sent it. Frustrating! On dec 2nd, I called insurance, they still did not have paperwork. I was furious. Called dr and pleaded with them to re-fax it anyhow. On Wednesday dec 4 I called insurance, they said congratulations!! You are approved, and was actually approved on Monday. Agh! I hung up with her and called dr office, left message. Didn't hear from them. Thursday I called and left another message. No return call. Friday morning I was debating on calling again, when my phone rang! They were calling to schedule surgery. They asked if I had time frame in mind, I said I will not be in hospital for Christmas. She said when can you start liquid diet? I said right now!

Surgery is dec 19th. I am on a two week clear liquid diet. 600-800 calories, 80-120 G Protein. 64 oz Water. Protein shakes, water, broth, sugar free Popsicles, Jello but I don't eat it. No food whatsoever.

So the day I find out surgery date, I also have a Christmas party at church I'm hosting. Food, food, and more food. I kept busy and made it through the night drinking my water.

I have enjoyed reading so many posts the past 7 months. Lots of inspiration! I am looking forward to now adding input.

Highest weight in sept 321

Weight yesterday before starting liquids 296.6

Let the journey begin!

~E

Congrats on your approval! Looking forward to your posting about your fantastic progress!

Surgery is dec 19th - Let the journey begin!

E2013

phewwwww :o

what a story

insurance/doctors/waiting et al - what a pain

you finally made it to the other side and all looks great

bummer about having to take a 2 hour trip for WLS, and follow ups

i can tell you realize that its all worth the extra "mile" ;)

doing great on prep for your eating and drinking...

sounds like you have everything under control ;)

especially your mindset - which is 1/2 the battle!!!

glad you've enjoyed reading all the posts these 7 months :)

can't to see B) how you tell US things too ;)

December 19th WLS!!!

thats just one day after December 18th :D

here before you know it!!!

remember PO

drink slowly, sips, sips - as much as you can

concentrate totally on drinking so you don't get dehydrated (which does happen)

don't worry that much about getting in all your Protein

that will come soon enough

drink your Protein shakes, that will do it!!!

good luck

speedy recovery

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Had my preop apt today. Saw the nurse/resident/surgeon/dietician and did blood work. We are a go! I have lost 9 lbs since Friday. Doing great with the liquids. When I do feel hunger, I realize it's time to have a Protein shake then I'm full again. Next Wednesday (day before surgery) I am not allowed Protein shakes, sugar free Clear Liquids only. They will also call me on Wed to tell me what time I have to come Thursday.

I hope you do well

Edited by Jayson Goldfarb