Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Metabolism I rarely hear that word mentioned on the board. I'm hearing people say they are eating 600,800,1000 cal diets post op. Does that affect metabolism? I guess I'm asking about the whole starvation mode idea that's been taught over and over again.

Metabolism I rarely hear that word mentioned on the board. I'm hearing people say they are eating 600,800,1000 cal diets post op. Does that affect metabolism? I guess I'm asking about the whole starvation mode idea that's been taught over and over again.

Yes, you go into a stall. I can't even get in 1000 calories, so I'm in starvation mode and my weight has stalled. Another problem for me is the doctor only wants me on Proteins and fluids, no veggies, no fruit, etc. So trying to get calories in from just Protein is difficult as the maximum is 80 grms for women. So have to increase exercise and see what that does. Your metabolism thinks you are starving because of too few calories and it slows down to conserve. This dates clear back to the cave man.

My metabolism was tested before surgery and at my 4 month checkup. Both times it stunk. My RMR was 985 before surgery and now is only 1050 (improved strangely). I think it has gotten better because I am eating more regularly. While only averaging 800 calories a day they are quality calories and split out over 3 meals and 2 Snacks. Definitely a much healthier approach to food for me. If I could improve my strength training ive been told it could go up some more

Thanks both your comments are helpful-reminds me that my metabolism is still something I need to be mindful of even after surgery

I wouldn't stress too much over metabolism. Yes, it does change and it provides us some insight into explaining stalls. But it's difficult to measure and not practical to manage on a day to day basis. Consider narrowing your focus to the variables that you can manage every day - Protein, exercise, hydration, calories. food logs are an enormously powerful tool. Focus on those things and your metabolism, and your weight, will take care of themselves.

You're gonna love the new you!!

I am trying to read up on metabolism (and muscle preservation), too. I had surgery out of area and it's not easy to be in touch with a NUT. I did the sleeve mostly to get my blood sugar, Blood Pressure and cholesterol down and (after 5 weeks) that goal is materializing nicely (yay!).

BUT-- I'm thinking that since I only have 40-45 pounds till goal and I'm not in a super vain era of my life (50 years old and not goin' anywhere special anytime soon :)), I am trying to explore whether I will keep my Resting Metabolic Rate a little higher (and possibly preserve more muscle) if I eat, say, 800 calories a day rather than 650. In case anyone wants to chime in :), I consume 80-95 g Protein each day and I have under 45 carbs a day. I am averaging about 600-650 cals daily and I am not going to deviate from the plan I was given unless my research gives me conviction that I should. I am not hungry at all and am living mostly on Greek yogurt with vanilla Protein powder added, an egg here and there, tuna moistened with avocado and EAS low-carb 100 cal shakes. I am getting 64-80 oz of Fluid daily. I exercise what MyFitnessPal says is about 250 cals worth most days, and I eat back 100 of these calories most days.

The whole preserving muscle and RMR areas really fascinate me :)!

(Edited to say that I just realized I inadvertently posted in a Bypass area of the site --I am going to leave this post here, though, because I really do want to follow and learn more about RMR, etc.- thanks!)

Edited by rhw94123

My NUT informed me that "starvation" mode never actually occurs unless you have 7% body fat or less. And that it's not something that should be worried about, but it's helpful to keep your body guessing, if you aren't losing eat a few hundred more calories. For example day 1&2 800 calories per day, day 3 1000-1100 calories then back down to 800 and so on.

OMG, thank you, Kpat! That is the first morsel of information that makes sense of the experience I am having! A couple of times now I have eaten 600-650 cals of high protein/very low carb for 3-5 days and not even seen a loss of 1/2 pound... Then I eat 900-1000 of the same good nutrition for a single day and the scale goes down 2-3 lbs (as if my body is saying "oops, storage committee, that was a false alarm-- there's no famine & you can go ahead & release that weight." :). (I should also note that the couple of times that I've deliberately done a nutritious- but-higher-calorie day, I have felt FANTASTIC the next day (sharp, rested, energetic).)

If your NUT has a web page or anything where she articulates that approach I'd sure appreciate being directed to it!