Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision Surgery Wait Time Between Band To Sleeve

My surgeon did both my band & sleeve. Upon band removal he said I needed to wait 10 wks bc of scar tissue.

I had my band out 3 years ago but at the time that I had it out he was going to do the sleeve at the same time? I had too many complications with my band and that was why they took it out. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a sleeve at that time cause I didn't know much about it, but now I do and I have decided now that I am going back to actually have bypass I don't want the sleeve. My surgeon pushed the sleeve when I went to visit him and told me I could get the sleeve and if I am not having success with it then I could always get the bypass later, but what's the point of doing 2 surgeries, when if I just do the first one as the bypass I can get down to business and get me healthy in one shot deal!!!

Wow, so many have to wait a while between procedures. My band is coming out tomorrow - 3/10/14 and revision to sleeve on April 17th - only a 4 week wait.

I had the band to sleeve done in one procedure. I had my lap band for three years and threw up anything I ate or drank. Being a nurse, I knew scar tissue gets worse with every time they open you up and the recover is longer so I knew I wanted a surgeon that was very experienced in revisions so I started doing research on who could do it at the same time. I called the Bariatric Coordinator at one of the major hospitals here in Atlanta and asked her who does most revisions, told her what I wanted and she gave me a personal recommendation. On December 20th I had band out and sleeve in which my surgeon took a little over an hour to complete. I went home the next day with hardly any pain and felt as if I had only done too many sit ups. My advice to you all is use your resources, ask around, and know that it's ok to get a second opinion. Keep in mind each of our stories is unique!

how do you find out how many revisions a doctor has done? just ask them? how do you know what they are saying is true?

I had to wait 18 months before any surgeon would even think about doing my sleeve after band removal. The band does a lot of damage and it's difficult to heal.

I had my band removed back in 2011 and my doctor asked when I had it removed he asked if I wanted the sleeve but I wasn't ready after everything I had gone through with the band, so I didn't but I regret it now cause I should have but now I am going for the bypass!!!!

Had my band removed in november 2013, due to slipping. I was not happy. I did not know about the sleeve until after lossing my band. I began my research then contacted my insurance company only to find out my band could have been replaced the day the old one was removed. Oh well I decided after all the research on the sleeve that it was a better fit for me than the band. So I start my new journey this week, my dr office called today my insurance will pay so I have an appointment on Wednesday to begin my new journey and new life style.. I plan for this to have a more successful story than the first.

Had my band removed in november 2013, due to slipping. I was not happy. I did not know about the sleeve until after lossing my band. I began my research then contacted my insurance company only to find out my band could have been replaced the day the old one was removed. Oh well I decided after all the research on the sleeve that it was a better fit for me than the band. So I start my new journey this week, my dr office called today my insurance will pay so I have an appointment on Wednesday to begin my new journey and new life style.. I plan for this to have a more successful story than the first.

how long were you banded and did you have any success with the band before the slip?

Had my band removed in november 2013, due to slipping. I was not happy. I did noi t knoi w about the sleeve until after lossing my band. I began my research then contacted my insurance company only to find out my band could have been replaced the day the old one was removed. Oh well I decided after all the research on the sleeve that it was a better fit for me than the band. So I start my new journey this week, my dr office called today my insurance will pay so I have an appointment on Wednesday to begin my new journey and new life style.. I plan for this to have a more successful story than the first.

I had my band put in december 2006, at first I did well and lost over 100 pounds. But I was tightened to much one time and did not realize that I was not eating developed some nutrition problems that had some sever effects on my body so dr removed most of the Fluid and I went a few years with no Fluid and gained some wright bach.

Then when the band was removed oh goodness the weight seemed to just jump on and has not stopped.

I had my band put in december 2006, at first I did well and lost over 100 pounds. But I was tightened to much one time and did not realize that I was not eating developed some nutrition problems that had some sever effects on my body so dr removed most of the Fluid and I went a few years with no Fluid and gained some wright bach.

Then when the band was removed oh goodness the weight seemed to just jump on and has not stopped.

I was just curious. I had the band in 2006 also and it slipped, i had it revised and it slipped for a 2nd time about a year or so after the revision. then i had it removed in 2009.

Hi all, after seeking out another surgeon and weighing up my options, I have gone with another doctor instead of my original. My original surgeon has done more sleeves, but less revisions. My new surgeon has put in more bands over the years and has done less 'virgin' sleeves but more revisions. Does that make sense?

Anyway, after having my band removed last November my sleeve surgery is booked for April 9, I have worked hard since Christmas to not gain anymore. I begin my pre op diet next week.

Can't wait for the new and improved me to transform....again!

well I have to go through the 7 month visit with my family dr. and all the other steps that I did with the first surgery before I can have my revision. I guess if I want insurance to pay I will just have to go with the plan. I had planned on having the surgery before I put on too much weight but I guess I will have to work harder to keep it off. - which is going to be even harder because I am going to have surgery on my foot most likely in May - and there will be no weight allowed on that foot for a month and then very little for the next. By the time I am getting over that surgery I will be nearing my time to have my sleeve surgery. I just hope I can balance my diet to not gain a lot of weight before I have that surgery. because there wont be to much exercising.

I am so happy you are so close to your surgery. I will be praying for you. Just remember the goal you will be reaching for when you are struggling through the bad days. Just grasp that picture of the smaller jeans and not squeezing into those tinny chairs.

well I have to go through the 7 month visit with my family dr. and all the other steps that I did with the first surgery before I can have my revision. I guess if I want insurance to pay I will just have to go with the plan. I had planned on having the surgery before I put on too much weight but I guess I will have to work harder to keep it off. - which is going to be even harder because I am going to have surgery on my foot most likely in May - and there will be no weight allowed on that foot for a month and then very little for the next. By the time I am getting over that surgery I will be nearing my time to have my sleeve surgery. I just hope I can balance my diet to not gain a lot of weight before I have that surgery. because there wont be to much exercising.

I am so happy you are so close to your surgery. I will be praying for you. Just remember the goal you will be reaching for when you are struggling through the bad days. Just grasp that picture of the smaller jeans and not squeezing into those tinny chairs.