Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long Term Health Issues With The Sleeve

Is anyone thinking about years and years from now are there any health issues that are different for us with the sleeve? For example, what if one of us is in a car crash and is unconcious and they did an emergency scope. Not sure what it is called medically but when they put the tube down your throat into your stomach. Couldn't they puncture our tiny stomachs because they don't know we have had this surgery? Another example is if we have stomach cancer. Is there anything left to remove? I know I am a worry wort and should probably ask my surgeon these questions but I definitely feel rushed when I have an appointment with him. There are more examples if we can't speak for ourselves like being fed NSAIDS. I'm sure if I think about it I can come up with more. Does anyone else worry/wonder about this?

These are actually very good and very valid questions you have asked. I wish I knew the answers. Since I've not had the surgery yet and I am still going through the preliminary process, I may have a different perspective than you. I feel like there are risks with everything in life and this surgery is no different. The difference is, with Obesity, there are all kinds of complications and comorbidities that actually are ruining our life and bringing us to an early death. But with the surgery and the subsequent weight loss, the risks are minimized and we are faced with all types of new and wonderful possibilities. We can have car accidents and be presented with all kinds of possible medical mishaps even without having been through surgery so to worry about that is without merit. I refuse to live my life according to the "fears and negative what ifs".... I prefer to live my life as a positive possibility! Every day I want to ask, What is in store for me in the future that I can embrace and live with full gusto?

I am a really worrier too, I mean anxiety should be my middle name. But here's the thing, if you do the math, the risks you are worrying about are very, very small compared to the health risks of obesity. I'm more concerned that you say you feel rushed when you have an appointment. Is it that your surgeon is not focused on you or is it that you are worried you are taking too much time? Try thinking of yourself as the customer, rather than the patient. Surgeons can be very busy people but they should make time for your questions when you are in their office. After you go home, if he/she is busy, you should be able to call with your questions and get an answer from someone on your medical team that you feel confident with. My surgeon has a special number to contact the Physician Assistants and another number when you need to reach the dieticians.

Cancer---my father had a partial gastrectomy for ulcers in 1972. (This was before they knew it was from H pylori and could be treated with antibiotics). NOW in 2013 at the age of 81 he has been diagnosed with gastric cancer. The remaining stomach was removed except a 5% pocket at the top. I found out that "previous gastric surgery" was one of his risk factors for development of stomach cancer when I was researching his diagnosis.

THAT WAS 41 yrs from surgery to cancer.

During that time, he has lead an active life....41 years worth. I made the decision to have my VSG after his diagnosis.....and no I was not afraid of gastric cancer. I was afraid of having a heart attack, stroke, diabetes etc....from my obesity. That would kill me sooner than the gastric cancer.

I am sure the bariatric surgery community has ongoing studies on the long term effects of VSG. Unfortunately, we won't know those results for many years as the early sleevers start to show these effects. In life, we all make choices that may have long term effects on our health. That is why ANY decision we make concerning our health matters. Be it smoking, alcohol, drugs.....and yes food. It is an individual decision.

I totally agree with both of your points that the rewards of not being morbidly obese far outweigh (no pun intended) the medical risks I have listed with having a sleeve. I thought of this when I decided to get the sleeve and am more than happy with the results. I wake up each morning amazed that my feet and ankles don't hurt when getting out of bed. Getting dressed each day is a joy and it brings tears to my eyes just thinking that this will be the first New Years Eve without making the same resolution which I usually fail at before January is over. I can't keep my hands off my hips and tummy they feel so tiny. I am so glad I made this choice and would do it again in a heartbeat but I just want to know if there is anyway to prepare/prevent anything that could happen down the road since there is not a long term history for people with the sleeve. Or if others have answers to these concerns of mine.

On the point with feeling rushed with my surgeon - you are right I need to assert myself better. He usually comes in and starts talking and asking specific questions and basically walks out after he says and asks what he wants. He never says to me -Do you have any questions? I am going for my 9 month check up in about 3 weeks and will try to do better.

With respect to the possibility of being punctured by a NG (naso-gastric) tube - yes it could happen. Many surgeons recommend getting a medic alert Bracelet saying something like GASTRECTOMY - NO BLIND NG TUBE. It is okay to have an NG tube inserted if they use one of ones that lets the person inserting see where they are going. I've been considering a medic alert bracelet but haven't gotten around to it yet!

That said, it's a lot more common for unconscious people to be intubated with a tracheal tube (to assist breathing), which won't hurt someone with a gastrectomy.

Being fed NSAIDS while unconscious should not be an issue. First, if someone is unconscious and in need of painkillers, typically they are going to get something stronger than NSAIDS (like morphine). Second, NSAIDS aren't going to be a problem for the vast majority of sleeve patients (unlike RnY patients for example), especially if used on a limited basis. There are some doctors who think that long-term, high dosage use of NSAIDS is contraindicated for sleeve patients, but not even all of them agree on that. Being on NSAIDS for a couple of weeks won't result in immediate death or disability or anything - at worst, it would be an irritated stomach.

I asked my surgeon about the possibility of stomach cancer later in life and he said that logically after I'm sleeved I have 75% less stomach so that's 75% less to get cancer. Made sense to me. I'm more worried about obesity related health issues so the sleeve was a good option for me.

7 days after my surgery I had a small heart attack( never should have had surgery, had an abnormal ekg, but surgeon ignored). I now need a stent, but cant have one because I cant be on blood thinners this soon. Need to wait 6-8 weeks. Still worried about going on blood thinners so soon after the surgery.

I'd heard about treatment for cancer being more difficult post-sleeve, because there is not enough stomach to cut out a portion and still leave a useful amount behind. I hadn't heard that having had gastrectomy was a risk factor for stomach cancer, though I'm not doubting that statement. Obesity itself is a risk factor for most cancers, so in the absence of a family history or prior cancer, losing weight may just cancel out an increased risk from having the surgery itself... I don't know that, I'm just surmising.

Some of us have ongoing issues with reflux, and mine is certainly 'patchy' (good some days, awful others), and statistically speaking I think that is far more likely to give me trouble down the track than stomach cancer.

Gastrectomies (not all 'sleeves', all shapes and sizes) have been performed for stomach cancer, ulcers, lapband erosions and all sorts of things for many many years... they are only new as a bariatric procedure, not a new procedure per se. There must be some long term follow up information - although the outcomes may be clouded by the health issues those patients had.

I am a bladder cancer survivor. I had my bladder removed in March of 2011, after months of chemo. I was also concerned about what will happen if the cancer returns. But not concerned enough to NOT have the surgery. I had my yearly scans on the same day as my pre-op stuff, got the "all-clear", and made the leap.

My doctor gave me a little card to keep in my wallet that pictorially explains the sleeve in case of emergency treatment. It also states No Intubation. However, if I am unconscious, it won't help much.

Thanks for that :) It was very informational.

<p>Is anyone thinking about years and years from now are there any health issues that are different for us with the sleeve? For example, what if one of us is in a car crash and is unconcious and they did an emergency scope. Not sure what it is called medically but when they put the tube down your throat into your stomach. Couldn't they puncture our tiny stomachs because they don't know we have had this surgery? Another example is if we have stomach cancer. Is there anything left to remove? I know I am a worry wort and should probably ask my surgeon these questions but I definitely feel rushed when I have an appointment with him. There are more examples if we can't speak for ourselves like being fed NSAIDS. I'm sure if I think about it I can come up with more. Does anyone else worry/wonder about this?</p>

It would be pretty rare to puncture the tiny stomach once it's all healed....they would really have to shove the nadir-gastric tube in and if it's done properly it's gently inserted. As far as the cancer risk, I figure my odds of getting something worse would be far greater If I didn't lose 70 lbs post sleeve!

Thank you for all the great information. I like the card idea. I could keep it in my wallet in front of drivers license so if in an accident and can't speak I think they would check your id. Thank you for all the information. I know I am a worry wort and hopefully this will never be an issue for most of us. I do feel so much healthier for having lost the weight and know I made the right decision for myself.