Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's Your Food Philosophy: Abstain Forever Or Eat In Moderation?

CGJane, my respect for you has ratched up another notch, and you were already high up there! :)

ice cream is something I can't keep in the house. It's not abstain forever. I will get a cone now and then somewhere. Gone are the days where I dish up my own bowl of ice cream.

I pretty much don't eat any bread because it fills me up too much. If I eat bread, I can't eat much of anything else. It seems to expand in my stomach.

Just checking in!

• Pre-Op Diet: 13.2 lbs (October 16, 2013 - Oct. 24, 2013).
  • Month One: 16 lbs (October 24, 2013 - November 24, 2013).
  • Month Two: 2 lbs (November 24, 2013 - today).

So far, I've lost a total of 31.2 lbs from Pre-Op to today.

I'm hoping to lose 6+ lbs by Dec. 24th.

It seems that the chex mix would be a better choice than the whoopie pie Cookies or the pb cup cookies that my boys always ask for- at least less sugar. I make cookies/candy every year for the family and everyone really enjoys what I make- they have much more restraint then I did around the butter crunch! I know personally, these things are my personal kryptonite... for me sweets lie on a slippery slope, but I still love to make them. I made giant chocolate chip cookies for a fundraiser the other day and I found myself smelling them but not eating them, lol. I have found that I am able to eat certain things that I thought I'd really miss, and I will allow myself to have these things in moderation on occasion. Sushi, with rice... Had a roll at our favorite restaurant the other day & had no problems with it. Also had pizza, very thin crust, small slice & felt happy & satisfied. As long as I can have these two things every once in a while, I'll be a happy girl & will have much more success long term.

I eat all the stuffing out of the sushi and leave the rice...I fill up too fast with rice and it's just not worth it when I want to taste the sushi, not just the rice :)

I eat all the stuffing out of the sushi and leave the rice...I fill up too fast with rice and it's just not worth it when I want to taste the sushi, not just the rice :)

Girl just order sashimi! It's what I do :)

Girl just order sashimi! It's what I do :)

I do that too:)

Abstain forever from:

Pop

White sugar added

White bread

Eat in moderation:

Store bought sugary products

Carbs

Ice Cream

I have dealt with this issue in the past. When I diet and abstain from certain food choices I do really great, but whenever I decide I will just "have a few bites" of something that I shouldn't be eating, it all goes downhill. I always ruin my diet when I do this, so I think that I will just abstain.

What helps me to abstain from all the bad foods is staying away from discussions about food! This thread makes me very hungry so I've been trying to figure out how to stop it from sending notices to my email. LOL. How do I "Unsubscribe" from this thread and constant talk about food! HELP! LOL Yay! Figured out how to "Unfollow" You all enjoy your day!

Just checking in!

• Pre-Op Diet: 13.2 lbs (October 16, 2013 - Oct. 24, 2013).
  • Month One: 16 lbs (October 24, 2013 - November 24, 2013).
  • Month Two: 2 lbs (November 24, 2013 - today).

So far, I've lost a total of 31.2 lbs from Pre-Op to today.

I'm hoping to lose 6+ lbs by Dec. 24th.

For some reason, this post went to the wrong forum.

Sorry guys!

For some reason, this post went to the wrong forum.

Sorry guys!

LOL...I was kinda baffled by your post....but hey....you lost 31 pounds so hats off!!!

Wow this topic really was the question I have been asking myself for months. I know what my trigger foods are and those I can not have one or rather choose not to at this time. I also do realize I can not tell myself "never" so I have worked on the philosophy that in time I may be able to try, in moderation. I also know that I can eat a bite of many things and satisfy my cravings. I can eat a chip or two and be ok. My coworker used to laugh because I would get a snack size bag of chips and they would last me a week to a month in my drawer. I think it is about knowing yourself.

I am only a week post op and am having a harder time with not being able to have any solid food. I don't mind eating healthy I just hate not eating at all. I am counting the days until I can have applesauce, cottage cheese, even pureed tuna! I can only get down 3 oz at a time still but variety of a liquid diet stinks. I am mainly on Protein shakes, crystal light, vanilla sf yogurt, and ff creamed Soups. sf popsicles are also on my list.

I replied to this topic months and months ago. My perspective on this has changed so drastically that I have to wonder if others also have changed course. When I first replied to this I was still romancing food in a lot of ways, if not eating it, certainly thinking about eating it. I went through a few months of weight not going down and even gained one pound back for a minute there.

I've had good support and finally got to the other side of what has driven the obesity. I don't know where things will end up in the future but for now it has no hold or control over me. Now it isn't a question of abstain or moderate. I don't hit myself with sticks, I don't cross streets without looking for traffic, I don't drive on the wrong side of the street, I don't improperly fuel my body with too much or too little food (or food that doesn't support the nutritional needs of my body), I don't pick fights with sailors in bars... There are many things I just don't do because it isn't good for me and I have no desire to hurt myself.

At the same time, if my favorite neice cracks a recipe and wants to get me to try something I would to be nice, and get on with my life. It's just isn't that important anymore. Not the indulging or abstaining... there are other things that have my focus these days and food just gets enough of that focus for me to make sure I'm healthy and no more.

Peace

I'm in between abstaining forever and moderation. Some things I have given up forever (like bagels), other things (like pizza) I will allow myself 1/2 a small slice every 4 to 6 weeks as a treat.

During the holidays, I adjusted my food to allow two small gingerbread men a day, total 140 calories. The bag lasted me two weeks. I was living for those two little Cookies with a cup of tea as an evening snack, lol. I've never had a sweet tooth but I have looked forward to those Cookies every Christmas since I was a kid and this Christmas was no different. What was different was that I didn't stuff my face with the entire bag while watching a movie, but instead rationed them out and sat down and really savored them every day.