Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking For Mentor In Kansas City Area

Hi,

I am pre-op gastric bypass patient and am awaiting insurance approval. I hope to have my bypass by January at the latest. I believe having a mentor will be another tool I can use to be successful.

Thanks for your consideration,

Tammy

Hi,

I am pre-op gastric bypass patient and am awaiting insurance approval. I hope to have my bypass by January at the latest. I believe having a mentor will be another tool I can use to be successful.

Thanks for your consideration,

Tammy

Welcome to the forum Tammy, I had RnY 9/11/13 by Dr. Brice Hamilton. I live in Independence, work in Lee's Summit, lived in KCK, and born in Kansas. Had lapband in 2010 lost 40 lbs. found it had slipped this last May, lost another 7 lbs, after having it removed then bypass. I've gone from 258 in 2010 to 186, but currently at a stall, my metabolism thinks I'm starving, so I either need to increase excerise or calories (and that one is hard to do right now). I'm waiting on my Treadclimber to arrive so I can start working out a little more. Haven't had any problems with the bypass that I haven't caused myself. Eating to fast, too large of bites, etc. which can cause you to feel miserable. Once it comes back up all is well, just a good learning tool that you don't want to continue doing. This forum is great if you have any problems or and questions, someone will chime in. I also work with numerous people who have had this procedure, or even one of the procedures. My manager had bypass 13 years ago and if you didn't know it you would think she was always small. You do have to stay focused, as this is a tool, that you have to work. Follow your doctor's advice, the dietatian, case manager, etc. They are there to help you and they don't want you to fail. Once the procedure is done, the weight starts coming off, you are going to love the new you. I looked at myself the other day in the mirror, even though I haven't lost anything in a few weeks, I noticed that I'm getting thinner. I lose inches first, then followed by the downward spiral of the scales. Plus you'll be eating up all the compliments everyone tells you. Believe you will love the journey to a new you.

Thanks for your encouraging response. I live up north, was born in KCMO, but lived in KCK (Muncie area) until I married in 1987. I learned today my insurance has approved my surgery and I have a surgery date of 1/20/14. My surgery will be at St. Luke's and my Doctor is Dr. Price. I am excited, but also very nervous. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once it sinks in and I hope you won't mind answering them.

Thanks for your encouraging response. I live up north, was born in KCMO, but lived in KCK (Muncie area) until I married in 1987. I learned today my insurance has approved my surgery and I have a surgery date of 1/20/14. My surgery will be at St. Luke's and my Doctor is Dr. Price. I am excited, but also very nervous. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once it sinks in and I hope you won't mind answering them.

No, I won't have a problem answering questions. You won't believe this but when I first moved to KCK I lived in the Turner area so quite familiar with the Muncie. I just moved to Missouri, from KCK, when I remarried in 2000. But lost hubby in 2011 to bladder cancer. He went through the lapband with me in 2010 and he would be totally proud today to see me. Even though I have 36 lbs to go (for the doctors) about 50 lbs for me (hopefully) I come to work and get complimented daily. I understand the nervousness this is something new, but all will be be okay. My concern was pain afterwards, but since I didn't fill the pain script after having the band out, the doctor smiled at me and basically "that is what pain medication is for". The only thing I used the pain medication for (and I was on a pain pump) was to put myself back to sleep every two hours. Once I started walking felt a whole lot better. Had surgery on 9/11/13 and was ready to go back to work the following Monday. But that is me. I have never taken off more than two weeks for any of my surgeries and all have been major. I have a high pain tolerance, and surgery pain doesn't bother me for some reason. The gall bladder attack I had years ago, was different, that was painful. The surgery taking it out was nothing. So ask away, I'll help anyway that I can.