Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Rny Update...

It was 17 weeks ago that I underwent a RNY because I ate too much and gained an astronomical amount of weight. The surgery went well. No problems. I've been losing on an average 3-5 lbs per week.

I had to learn the hard way how to keep from getting sick:

1) dont eat too fast,

2) dont eat too much,

3) dont drink 30 minutes before and after meals.

After the RNY, my tastebuds changed. I lost my love for fried foods and in particular, fried chicken. Before surgery, I could eat that every day. Now just thinking about it makes me a little nauseous. I've gotten use to eat baked foods now. In fact, eating in general has turned into something I have to do everyday. I dont look forward to it, I dont dream of certain foods anymore. I eat till I'm satsfied, put the food down, walk away.

The only negative thing is the laziness factor. The surgery didnt cure me of that. I joined a gym in anticipation of the surgery and losing weight but I've only been there a handful of times. By the time I get home from work, all I want to do is lay down and take a nap. Last thing on my mind is going to the gym. Now I have started walking at work, trying to get some kind of exercise.

I wish I had done this surgery 20 years ago while I was young and vibrant. Now I'm 57 years old, college age kids, holding on to my job until retirement time. Husband and I bowl in a few leagues every week and that has become my life. I'm not complaining though. I'm happy that all my co-mobidities are gone and the only pills I put in my mouth daily are Vitamins.< /p>

It was 17 weeks ago that I underwent a RNY because I ate too much and gained an astronomical amount of weight. The surgery went well. No problems. I've been losing on an average 3-5 lbs per week.

I had to learn the hard way how to keep from getting sick:

1) dont eat too fast,

2) dont eat too much,

3) dont drink 30 minutes before and after meals.

After the RNY, my tastebuds changed. I lost my love for fried foods and in particular, fried chicken. Before surgery, I could eat that every day. Now just thinking about it makes me a little nauseous. I've gotten use to eat baked foods now. In fact, eating in general has turned into something I have to do everyday. I dont look forward to it, I dont dream of certain foods anymore. I eat till I'm satsfied, put the food down, walk away.

The only negative thing is the laziness factor. The surgery didnt cure me of that. I joined a gym in anticipation of the surgery and losing weight but I've only been there a handful of times. By the time I get home from work, all I want to do is lay down and take a nap. Last thing on my mind is going to the gym. Now I have started walking at work, trying to get some kind of exercise.

I wish I had done this surgery 20 years ago while I was young and vibrant. Now I'm 57 years old, college age kids, holding on to my job until retirement time. Husband and I bowl in a few leagues every week and that has become my life. I'm not complaining though. I'm happy that all my co-mobidities are gone and the only pills I put in my mouth daily are Vitamins.

I think you are doing fantastic. Yes, we are still tired and will be for awhile. You're 57, I'm 71 and we definitely don't jump back from major surgery like we would have in our 20's, but with age we learn patience so we will get there. Exercise, sounds like you are doing what needs to be done and bowling is definitely exercise even though it is fun, anyway I think so. Keep up the good work and I always say hind sight is always better than foresight. But thanks to God he did give us the sight to get it done. Quite obvious he didn't want us just yet. Good luck on your journey, you are going to make it.

Hi, I had my RNY on July 2nd of 2013. Hw 245 sw 232 cw 125. I basically got to my goal weight in 6 months. I was walk7ng 6 days a week. I kept losing weight and got to 117 #s. My family said I looked anorexic! My PCP said that I looked like I was losing muscle then. I was only eating 400 to 500 calories a day. I felt like I had a adversion to food. I had 3 endoscopes with 3 dilations. It started in November, I couldn't hold anything down not even Water. This started my strictures, again in December and then in January I had endoscopes and dialations. In July of 2014 I had another endoscope without a dilation because my tummy was so raw and he was afraid of perforating my stomach. I also had an ulcer and a hernia they think. I wasn't getting help from my surgeon and I finally found a Baratric Surgeon in Portland Oregon at OHSU. So I went to him and he did my 5th endoscope and I had another stricture so I had another dialation. And I've had 3 staples removed also. So now I think I can return to eating the stuff I haven't been able to. meat is a hard one for me. I miss it the most. ( steak) I feel like I can do this and get healthy too. If you ask me if I would have WLS again in a HEARTBEAT! This has saved my life. I have had a 4# gain by my Dr.s scale and a 2# gain by mine. It's very hard to not worry about the gain even tho they don't think I have to worry about it, I do very much so. I'm afraid that history is happening again. The mental aspect is hard. I've been to a Baratric nutritionist, her anwser was for me to eat 1500cal a day, and eat 100cal every hour while I was awake. I refuse to become a grazer. My calories are better 600 to 800 calories a day. I shoot for 60 grams of protien, but fall short sometimes. I'm learning as I go. Trying to be healthy and maintain my wt. Now. I was looking for a support group in my area but to not finding one. I guess I'll try an online support group.