Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you tell anyone

I am private person when it comes to certain things. I have been getting questions about why am I going to be off work (taking 7 work days). I just said to take care of some business. I told a few people at work when I had the lapband done. I regret that sometimes because of the weight regain & people looking at me like "dang I thought u had WLS". They don't actually say that but the looks tell it all.

I'm like you I really didn't want to say anything. But I work in a small office of 4 ladies. We've been together 12 years and diets and weight have always been an issue for me. They are all normal size and of course I'm not. I cried when I had to tell my supervisor and I had to tell her to get the time off on the calendar. She told one other lady for me. I waited 2 weeks before I told the last one because she is a drama queen so I knew it would be a constant subject for her. And it has been.

I didn't want my husband to tell his mom even though we live in a different state because she's the town cryer. He told her on Saturday and his whole family know now. But in the end pretty soon it will be obvious to everyone that I've done something. And when I'm thin I won't care if someone says something about my weight!

Before the surgery, I didn't tell many people, because the few I did tell gave me the "Why would you do that to yourself" Ignorant speech. After surgery, I don't mind telling people because they can't really say anything about it... lol

I'm like you guys. I told a couple of people at work about the band, one before and the other one after. I get those same looks on the sly and I know what they're thinking also. I was approved today to have band removed and have RNY done. When they start to question my weight loss, I'll just tell them that I finally reached that sweet spot after 3 years.

I am private person when it comes to certain things. I have been getting questions about why am I going to be off work (taking 7 work days). I just said to take care of some business. I told a few people at work when I had the lapband done. I regret that sometimes because of the weight regain & people looking at me like "dang I thought u had WLS". They don't actually say that but the looks tell it all.

The only ones that know about mine are my husband, 3 kids, sister and a cousin I'm very close to. My daughter-in- law and her parents know also as they all had gastric bypass done. They will be some more of my support group. No one on my husband's side though as they too look at me like, that didn't work did it? I hate feeling like a 5 year who needs to explain my actions to everyone. This is MY journey not theirs and they are not welcome along if they can't help supply the gas ( support ) lol.

With my first lapband, I was very open but after having it slip and be replaced and still gained the weight back, I noticed people looking, wondering, and some were even bold enough to ask me about it so now facing a revision in a month, I'm not telling many people. Just my husband, dad and 3 very close friends and I asked them all not to say anything. I don't want that kind of pressure this time. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with ur journey to a healthier u.

I haven't told many people. My mother on the other hand told everyone. Lol. At least everyone in my family, which I don't really mind that she did. I haven't told many friends or any of my co workers. They just think I'm on a strict diet. I have heard "at least your doing it the right way and not having surgery" at work so I will probably keep my secret. Not everyone needs to know my business. However when I see someone who is overweight and clearly unhappy (It's funny how you can see it on peoples faces. Did I ever look that way?) I just want to shake them and say you don't have to live this way. There's a solution!! But I keep it to myself.

I ended up having a large hernia; so I text 3 co workers that I talk to on a regular basis and told them I had a hernia repair; which is true. That will somewhat explain the 1st few pounds of weightloss because the post op diet is about the same as the RNY.

I was pretty secretive about my lap band and the only people that knew were my kids and husband. When I was approved for rny I did share with some Co workers, mostly because so many have had WLS this last year. I even told my sister, who didn't know about the band the first couple of years. Most of my friends know, but I never told my husband's family. Not that I care too much, but some can be pretty opinionated.

I figured this time around, I am more sure of myself and my decisions. I still have people ask me why? But I just say I wanted to, that I was 54 and did not want food to be the center of my life anymore.

Of course you always hear the horror stories... They know someone who had horrible side effects, struggles etc. I just nod and smile. It's your journey so enjoy it!

Sue