Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, my name is Jen. I had gastric bypass surgery on August 26. Everything went perfect. I was able to resume exercising a week after surgery. I am currently following all the rules set up by my doctor. I eat 3 meals a day of 3-4 oz meat, cheese or eggs. I work out 40 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I do not snack or drink any caloric beverages. I swear I am doing all these things every days. My initial weight loss was good, I am down about 30 lbs, but I have not lost anything in 3 weeks. How can that be? I am so discouraged. I am questioning everything. I'm so afraid that I went through all this for nothing. Any advice? Thank you

Hi' date=' my name is Jen. I had gastric bypass surgery on August 26. Everything went perfect. I was able to resume exercising a week after surgery. I am currently following all the rules set up by my doctor. I eat 3 meals a day of 3-4 oz meat, cheese or eggs. I work out 40 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I do not snack or drink any caloric beverages. I swear I am doing all these things every days. My initial weight loss was good, I am down about 30 lbs, but I have not lost anything in 3 weeks. How can that be? I am so discouraged. I am questioning everything. I'm so afraid that I went through all this for nothing. Any advice? Thank you[/quote']

I haven't had the surgery yet, but they keep stressing eating 6 meals a day. Maybe you should try that and change things up a bit. Divide those 3 meals into 6.

Hi' date=' my name is Jen. I had gastric bypass surgery on August 26. Everything went perfect. I was able to resume exercising a week after surgery. I am currently following all the rules set up by my doctor. I eat 3 meals a day of 3-4 oz meat, cheese or eggs. I work out 40 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I do not snack or drink any caloric beverages. I swear I am doing all these things every days. My initial weight loss was good, I am down about 30 lbs, but I have not lost anything in 3 weeks. How can that be? I am so discouraged. I am questioning everything. I'm so afraid that I went through all this for nothing. Any advice? Thank you[/quote']

Welcome Jen,

30 lbs is something to be proud of!! Celebrate your weight loss!! Your stall is 100% normal and right on time!

You just had major surgery and your body is still healing. Your brain however is asking the question - what in the hell did you do to me! I typically tell people if they think of their brains like a two year old they will understand things better. Like a two year old when your brain does not get what it wants it throws a tantrum. You have stopped eating what your brain is used to. You have stopped giving into its wants and desires for the pizza, burgers, sweets. Instead you are saying no. Before surgery on a typical diet we used to do great while losing weight. When we stop losing we think to ourselves what's the point. I'm hungry all the time and now I'm not losing weight. Well your brain is throwing out all it's tricks to get you to give into your old behavior. We all know our stomach will not allow the foods we want this early in your journey, but the brain is a little more stubborn.

With all that being said there are ways to help overcome your stall. Increase Protein, increase calories, and increase exercise. Always follow your docs plan, but see if you can tweak things a little. food logging is a great way to make sure you are getting everything your body needs. It will also help you to learn your body's needs.

Finally get off your scale. It is just a silly number at the end of the day. Usually when we stall we lose inches. So look forward to clothes shopping soon. Find new ways to measure your success! Write down a list of goals and work hard at achieving them. The numbers will fall in line. This method is proven success to lose weight, but you have to have patience and trust in the process. Also in a few months when you are losing and looking fabulous you will read a newbies post stressing about a stall. Smile and offer kind words as you will know it is temporary and normal!

Good luck!!!

Everything I've read says this is perfectly normal - stalls can come and go and last for weeks - but keep doing what you're doing and it will restart. I've heard people say it's the bosy using this time to regroup :-)

I had my surgery 8/28 I haven't been able ti excersice much not eating well I have not lose anything in 3weeks I'm down 40lbs I just started dropping a few this week I think it's normal

Mz Shay

Welcome Jen' date=' 30 lbs is something to be proud of!! Celebrate your weight loss!! Your stall is 100% normal and right on time! You just had major surgery and your body is still healing. Your brain however is asking the question - what in the hell did you do to me! I typically tell people if they think of their brains like a two year old they will understand things better. Like a two year old when your brain does not get what it wants it throws a tantrum. You have stopped eating what your brain is used to. You have stopped giving into its wants and desires for the pizza, burgers, sweets. Instead you are saying no. Before surgery on a typical diet we used to do great while losing weight. When we stop losing we think to ourselves what's the point. I'm hungry all the time and now I'm not losing weight. Well your brain is throwing out all it's tricks to get you to give into your old behavior. We all know our stomach will not allow the foods we want this early in your journey, but the brain is a little more stubborn. With all that being said there are ways to help overcome your stall. Increase Protein, increase calories, and increase exercise. Always follow your docs plan, but see if you can tweak things a little. food logging is a great way to make sure you are getting everything your body needs. It will also help you to learn your body's needs. Finally get off your scale. It is just a silly number at the end of the day. Usually when we stall we lose inches. So look forward to clothes shopping soon. Find new ways to measure your success! Write down a list of goals and work hard at achieving them. The numbers will fall in line. This method is proven success to lose weight, but you have to have patience and trust in the process. Also in a few months when you are losing and looking fabulous you will read a newbies post stressing about a stall. Smile and offer kind words as you will know it is temporary and normal! Good luck!!![/quote']

I agree very normal - make sure you are drinking the fluids and taking the Vitamins as well.

It's very normal to stall at the point where you are. I stalled also and even gained weight. I thought I was going to be the one the surgery didn't work for. I am now one week shy of six months and I'm down 82 pounds. I started at 268.5. My hardest stall weeks were through week 6-12. After that my body started adjusting and so far I lose between 1.5 -3 pounds a week. Any loss is good. Just follow your doctors plan and the weight will fall off!

The dreadful stalls happen often, don't let it stress you. Throughout my journey I couldn't even count on my hands how many times I hit a stall. What I would do is hide the scale, keep my mind busy, up my Protein, added more Water, followed my doctors orders and walked a lot (if I had time to exercise I did that too) 30lbs is a big deal so congrats on your loss so far, the rest will follow believe me:) no worries and wishing you the best!

I am a 1 1/2 year out so when you hit your first stall it is a bit shocking. But I'm here to tell you it would not be the first or the last. When you hit a stall, I would suggest changing up what your doing by adding more Protein, do one or two days of just liquids, and adding exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Welcome Jen' date='

30 lbs is something to be proud of!! Celebrate your weight loss!! Your stall is 100% normal and right on time!

You just had major surgery and your body is still healing. Your brain however is asking the question - what in the hell did you do to me! I typically tell people if they think of their brains like a two year old they will understand things better. Like a two year old when your brain does not get what it wants it throws a tantrum. You have stopped eating what your brain is used to. You have stopped giving into its wants and desires for the pizza, burgers, sweets. Instead you are saying no. Before surgery on a typical diet we used to do great while losing weight. When we stop losing we think to ourselves what's the point. I'm hungry all the time and now I'm not losing weight. Well your brain is throwing out all it's tricks to get you to give into your old behavior. We all know our stomach will not allow the foods we want this early in your journey, but the brain is a little more stubborn.

With all that being said there are ways to help overcome your stall. Increase Protein, increase calories, and increase exercise. Always follow your docs plan, but see if you can tweak things a little. food logging is a great way to make sure you are getting everything your body needs. It will also help you to learn your body's needs.

Finally get off your scale. It is just a silly number at the end of the day. Usually when we stall we lose inches. So look forward to clothes shopping soon. Find new ways to measure your success! Write down a list of goals and work hard at achieving them. The numbers will fall in line. This method is proven success to lose weight, but you have to have patience and trust in the process. Also in a few months when you are losing and looking fabulous you will read a newbies post stressing about a stall. Smile and offer kind words as you will know it is temporary and normal!

Good luck!!![/quote']

Very well put, in a nice way! Love it!

I weigh myself everyday. which I know the doctors or whoever would say don't do that. it just became a habit in the beginning because I was amazed how fast I was dropping weight. but this is what I noticed, I would be the same weight everyday for like 2 weeks then all of a sudden the next day id be 5 pounds lighter. weird. but that's how it was for me.

oh, I put Fiber powder in everything I eat to make sure my system flowing right and flushing out all waste. if you get backed up you will be heavier. I try to do one day a week of nothing but liquids.< /p>

I know the feeling my surgery was on July 29th this year. I lost 45 lbs so far but now I'm stuck at 255. For the past 2 weeks I don't eat a lot. And my Protein is down. I know I have to eat more protein I just got Protein Bars to help me. But I'm still thinking I'm doing something wrong.

It is completely normal to experience stalls in weight loss. My longest one was 4 weeks. Don't be discouraged. Your body sometimes needs time to catch up with itsself. Also, try measuring yourself. Sometimes the inches are coming off even when the lbs arent.