Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cravings busters?

6 weeks out and doing very well - but I admit that my will-power is waning some when it comes to food. I am really craving something chocolate - but "real" - not some chocolate flavored Protein Drink. I am trying to avoid tv - the commercials simply make it worse. Oh look - a candy bar - pumpkin bread- brownie - cookie - pizza- ahhhhh.

Does it get better from here? I am mostly still eating things that are in the soft or mushy category. chicken in any form except chicken salad is my nemesis. I can do very soft roasted veggies - and super crisp crackers in small amounts. So basically - all this to say - I am pretty limited on what it is that I can actually eat. I am wondering if that is basically giving me "food boredom" and making the cravings for something "different" more overwhelming.

Thankfully there is nothing in the house at all that does not meet "the rules" - so I am not in imminent danger of cheating. But it is getting to the point where I feel like I am going to lose my mind if I don't get a bite of something "good". I have a friend who said at those moments he used to actually chew up the food he wanted and spit it out. That sounded unhealthy and disturbing - still does - but I am almost tempted to do it just to get it out of my system.

Any advice on actually reasonable things to do to get through this?

What are you allowed to eat? Are you supposed to be on mushies? I found baked ricotta to be the closest 'real food' item I could find. The recipe is floating around but it's ricotta, egg, mozzarella, and marinara baked til bubbly. I've found some baked oatmeal recipes (some with eggs, some with Protein powder) that have pumpkin and spices that are pretty yummy if you can tolerate oatmeal. Mushies drug on forever for me. By the end I was practically back on liquids I was so bored and frustrated with it.

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198

I am past the official "mushy" stage - and I try new things - but I have to be very careful. Last night I has a grilled chicken tender and some green Beans from a great green bean saute that I made. No problem. Then after church we had leftovers - so I tried the same meal again. No go. It all came back up and I had only even been able to get down two small (well chewed) bites of the chicken and 2 or 3 green beans. I had let myself start to think I was going to be able to tolerate non-chickensaldfied chicken - but I guess not. Now hamburger meat I have zero problem with.

The ricotta bake sounds good - I have actually been making eggplant parm because it is all mushy and allowed enough. It has made for many a meal for me. I had not even considered the oatmeal bakes. Thanks for the advice.

FYI leftover chicken is pretty evil...it's tough for a lot of us to handle. Even if I don't reheat it, it gives me a little trouble if it's not freshly cooked and I can eat darn near anything.

Hormel canned chili has been my salvation during this phase. I have a 1/4 c serving, 30 secs in the microwave, then sprinkle on a little bit of shredded cheddar and nuke again for 20 seconds. Heavenly. Best eaten during the day rather than the evening so it doesn't sit heavy and affect my sleep.< /p>

I did a lot of wraps early on (mission carb smart tortillas, not bad and lots of fiber) scrambled eggs with cheese and salsa, refrained Beans with cheese and salsa, laughing cow cheese and sliced turkey rolled up in the tortilla and dipped in salsa.

I had cravings but when I would take a taste of what ever I was craving then I did not like it anymore or as long as I tasted it I was OK then. Strange.. but it worked for me.

Thanks everyone - love the support here! I ended up making some sf chocolate pudding last night and adding a bot of Peanut Butter. It got me through and I decided after a little bit I was over the craving and it wasn't even that great.

I will definitely remember about the leftover chicken. I had suspicions that was the problem.

I am scheduled to have surgery on Oct 23, I'm confused I thought that having the surgery would solve the problem of being hungry or craving food? I guess I'm wrong and will just have to wait and see how it works for me.

You will not be as hungry - and will fill up quickly. But that does not mean that you will not still be tempted to taste certain foods. This surgery is a tool - not a cure all. It is hard work everyday. Best to you!