Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scheduled 11/22. GERD/hernia help

I have been experiencing symptoms of acid reflux for the past few weeks. I did not know what it was. I spoke with a few nurses I work with last night and they said it sounds like acid reflux and possible hernia.

The symptoms I have been experiencing are a sour stomach, tongue feels weird, almost like it is burned and prickly, throat burns and sore, lump in throat and almost every time I lay down I throw up.

Have any of you experienced this?

Do I need to call my surgeons office? Afraid if I do that surgery will be postponed....on other hand, I'm afraid if I don't let them know it might be cancelled.

This is stressing me out. I appreciate any advise about this.

Thank you!

try taking a prilosec in the morning 1/2 hr before eating. Did you not have an endoscopy for the surgery? You might have hiatal hernia which they can repar during surgery. Talk to dr. you don't want to go against their advice good luck. I have endoscopy today to see if surgery is on for Thursday. I have hernia and mild reflux. I am taking acifex for the last six weeks and hope today he will say I am healed they will not operare on me til there is some healing of esopg erosion

I had a swallow test done, but that was about 4 months ago. I think I will go ahead and call the center. I appreciate your response.

I had the same problems for a few years, they discovered I had a hiatal hernia during surgery and he repaired it too when he did my sleeve!! I still have acid reflux but not as bad, he has me on omeprazole 40mg one a day and that helps even after the repair. I would mention your symptoms to your surgeon but I don't think he will cancel your surgery not unless he see you have a problem that's why its good to let him know. The most mine did when I told him of my acid problem suggested I do a by pass....aaaaa NO. LOL I did the sleeve. Good luck with your surgery best decision I ever made acid and all!!

Edited by Ernestine

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches