Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two weeks from Plastics - progress so far

I wear the compression garments all the time, except for showering time. Going potty has been no problem although they did have me on a catheter for about 12-18 h ours after surgery.

I am having my first "hitch". That last drain was still putting out too much so couldn't remove it when I expected. Stitch popped though and it stayed working a few more days besides deciding to remove itself - painlessly. Problem is there is a risk of Fluid build up which would require needle aspiration by doctor. So far, I am a little swollen but not too bad so keeping fingers crossed.

My energy is still not 100 percent and I am 4 weeks out.

Friend took me to movie and dinner and at end of night he admitted he was shocked when he first saw me. I looked good until I moved. I am normally a purposeful walker...walk like I have somewhere to go, but n ow I walk like an old lady. He told me that it was strange to see me gone from so athletic to so fragile. He pinpointed the very hardest part for me...contrast of how much my life is temporarily "on hold"

My surgeon was Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico. You find out all sorts of info by googling his name and finding his patient led group on OH (including tons of pictures). He also has a webpage with some general pricing info but he discounts further for multiple procedures. Every patient is different so best thing to do is email him for a quote. You will find his prices comparable to many mexican plastic surgeons. For me the deciding factor was seeing tons of his before and after pix posted by real patients, my level of trust in his safety record, aftercare quality etc. I have a local PS that might have the best before and after I have seen anywhere BUT at three surgeries, no nursing aftercare and surgery #1 costing way way more then having everything done at once by Dr S I decided the total situation with Dr S is the best. A month post operation and I feel even stronger about that.

You previously mentioned that how he goes about anesthetizing his patients allows him to safely do more procedures at once. What is it about his process that allows this?

That's pretty amazing and I really thank you for sharing so much! It really gives me hope. I'm actually tearing up and crying right now as I write this. We have similar body sizes and I know I will need cosmetic surgery after my weight loss. I hate having surgery so knowing that it is possible to have so much done at a time gives me strength. I could simply say DITTO, that I will likely need all the exact things you did. Congratulations on your accomplishments.

Amanda, Dr Sauceda anestheologist uses, when possible, twilight sedation combined with an epidural instead of general anesthesia. They also put a pain reliever in the epidural that is effective for a day so you wake up from surgery feeling pretty good. What that means is that you breath on your own the whole time and don't have some of the negatives of general. I personally get very sick to my stomach with general - they have to pump me full of anti naseau drugs and I still feel queasy and yucky. Some surgeries are done this way in the usa, but not usually plastic surgeries. I consulted with a PS in the USA that had a shoulder surgery done using twilight and he was a big advocated since you recover easier (initial recovery) without the general anesthesia. i am a little unclear why it is not more commonly used in the usa, but i think it has to do with the risk of lawsuits for any doctor that does anything "different".

Lisadaze, here is a piece of advice from someone who has lost alot of weight. Don't worry about skin or plastics or any of that. Focus on the positives, focus on losing some weight and regaining good health. Focus on enjoying your new body. Honestly, life is SOOO much better at half my former size, plastics is only icing on the cake - I could have been quite happy without without it.

You know, alot of this journey for me personally has been learning to love my self and my body more unconditionally. Accepting my imperfections with the confidence that in the "big picture" I like myself and who I am. What I have noticed is that people that don't make that mental shift are not happy with their plastic surgery results either - even when they have great results. my results are NOT perfect, but significantly improved. What PS did for me was make me feel like my body looks pretty normal for a 49 year old woman, and if I may pat myself on the back, better then what i typically see at my local grocery store because i am fitter than many women my age range.

Jane you've got a body most American women 15 years younger than you don't have - and want!

What airport in Mexico did you use? Could a person drive there from San Diego CA?

Have you experienced Constipation?

I don't remember, you didn't get implants, did you?

Amanda, Dr Sauceda anestheologist uses, when possible, twilight sedation combined with an epidural instead of general anesthesia. They also put a pain reliever in the epidural that is effective for a day so you wake up from surgery feeling pretty good. What that means is that you breath on your own the whole time and don't have some of the negatives of general. I personally get very sick to my stomach with general - they have to pump me full of anti naseau drugs and I still feel queasy and yucky. Some surgeries are done this way in the usa, but not usually plastic surgeries. I consulted with a PS in the USA that had a shoulder surgery done using twilight and he was a big advocated since you recover easier (initial recovery) without the general anesthesia. i am a little unclear why it is not more commonly used in the usa, but i think it has to do with the risk of lawsuits for any doctor that does anything "different". Lisadaze, here is a piece of advice from someone who has lost alot of weight. Don't worry about skin or plastics or any of that. Focus on the positives, focus on losing some weight and regaining good health. Focus on enjoying your new body. Honestly, life is SOOO much better at half my former size, plastics is only icing on the cake - I could have been quite happy without without it. You know, alot of this journey for me personally has been learning to love my self and my body more unconditionally. Accepting my imperfections with the confidence that in the "big picture" I like myself and who I am. What I have noticed is that people that don't make that mental shift are not happy with their plastic surgery results either - even when they have great results. my results are NOT perfect, but significantly improved. What PS did for me was make me feel like my body looks pretty normal for a 49 year old woman, and if I may pat myself on the back, better then what i typically see at my local grocery store because i am fitter than many women my age range.

Thanks to you vets posting on this topic, I've been working hard to love my body as is. I'm finally at the point where although I am determined to get to goal, I'm able to see how much improved my health and body are relative to before. I look at myself daily, and tell myself that if I were to stop losing all together tomorrow, I'm still better off than where I was. My husband is so close to goal that he's mentally almost there. I'm about half way to goal, but I know that mentally, I need to get to that place of acceptance.

So I like my body today. I think I look great in clothes. I think the only person who sees me naked loves me no matter what. I think my weight is no longer the most noticeable thing about me.

And even if I don't feel that way, I still tell myself that everyday so that I can learn to feel it naturally.

Jane you've got a body most American women 15 years younger than you don't have - and want!

What airport in Mexico did you use? Could a person drive there from San Diego CA?

Have you experienced Constipation?

I don't remember, you didn't get implants, did you?

Dr Sauceda is in Monterrey. For security reasons, it is better to NOT drive. The area he is in is quite secure, but due to the war on drugs, it is better to not be driving around the small towns in the border area. I felt completely safe, but the doc basiclly sequesters the patients in a very good upscale area and you never go anywhere without a "driver"- either the surgeon's driver or the hotel shuttle.

I experienced constipation the first several days post op and it was not good. I did not know my body would react to morphine that way. Anyway, that was a very short term problem and all has been good since.

I got implants, but small ones - 240cc. I had been wearing padded bras so nobody notices the implants, what they notice is that I have an "hourglass" figure. They always assume it is because my waist is so much smaller. This is exactly what I wanted, but many many women go for much larger implants. I just wanted to feel normal, balanced, and athletic. I had a fear of big implants making me look top heavy since I have wide shoulders and big ribcage. I am pleased - and the surgeon will do whatever it is you want. I think that what I am happiest with is that I articulated the overall "look" I was hoping for and I feel like that is exactly what I got. And as you know, I was so conflicted about doing the arm and I am SO GLAD I did them, those result probably thrill me the most.

It is winter and wet and nasty in Seattle but my friends see my shape difference even under winter clothes. I have had 3 people now tell me that from a distance they weren't sure it was me - like the hair is right, but the body is way better...lol.

Anyway, I am rambling. Globe, when you get ready for plastics, I have lots of info to share as I researched both USA and Mexico options. I would seriously consider going to India too - it is jut such a long flight and I didnt have support there either. Also, plastics are somewhat of an "art" and I wanted to be sure the surgeon was familiar with American astehtics, ideals, and caucasion body types because subtle differences really make a difference. For example, my main request was I did not want a "boy shape" that some people get from lower body lift. Dr S seemed to know exactlty what I meant and I still have womanly curves so just thrilled with that.

Jane, I AM ready for plastics, that is why I keep asking all these questions. My deployment is up in probably April and I want to return to the States, turn in my gear, and fly to plastics. I am relieved to hear you talk about the "boy shape" issue, I have also noticed this with body lift patients and it was a concern for me too. I have strong wide shoulders, a petite ribcage, huge knockers (thanks Grandma!), short T-Rex arms, a short ribcage but long hips (does that make sense?) and short lil legs. My hips are wide and from a backside view my behind is nicely shaped but from a side view it's a pancake :(. I want the pudendal gut to be taken away, the inner thigh to be fixed (it actually hinders my walking), breasts reconstructed and filled with fat, waist nipped, and arms done.

Did you ever have an issue with bra strap rolls? That is a vanity thing that I would love to have fixed.

The only way to fix the bra strap rolls is to have an upper body lift. However, I would say I got a 70% improvement by having the arms and breasts done.

My recommendation is to get a couple of "in person" consults with local surgeons - very educational. Dr Sauceda and many other Mexican docs do consults by email. If you are really thinking you are close to ready - you can email him photos and he will give you a quote that is good for 6 months. If you need a link to his webpage and ObesityHelp info forum, let me know. I am just a patient, not trying to promote or anything so wasn't sure it is appropriate to post it hear. (but, easy to find if you google his name).

Yeah, I have it narrowed down to 2 docs, both Mexican. The other doc specializes in something called the "Mommy Makeover" My Life in Pink had one done and has been charting her journey here and the results are just astounding. His work and your docs work is the best I've seen in all my years on VST. I think that with the work done that I listed ^, and making weight lifting my focus, that the bra rolls would become a non issue.

Wow!! You look great:) Im so happy for you Congratulations :)

Okay, I am one month out now and in the process of scar treatment. I have alot more swelling now, so my results don't look that great, but I am confident that in another month or so - I will have a flat tummy again.

I am using a product called gelzone that is a silicone infused athletic wrap. It gives me great compression which helps with the belly swelling. So far it is easy to use. I cut one of them up to make little thigh and arm strips. The arm ones are held down by the compression garment.

Wrapped up in gelzone, i wear this under my compressin garments. Bikini bottoms are on for photo purposes only

post-122684-0-29065400-1385069393_thumb.jpg

More swelling in the belly then I had a few weeks ago, but scar is still flat and making progress

post-122684-0-87697900-1385069394_thumb.jpg

Arms scars still look good. Remember, it takes 1-2 years for scars to "mature"

post-122684-0-20154300-1385069397_thumb.jpg