Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me if I'm wrong...

Can I add a little story about my wedding that I just remembered?

Well, not really my wedding. My reception. Since lots of family et. al. didn't have a chance to attend, we held our reception a month later, back home. I left the music selection up to my husband, the audiophile. Hubby, not being an American citizen, well... let's just say it's hit or miss on what movies he has seen, what "connections" he knows about, what cultural references will make sense to him, etc.

So anyway. Reception goes, all is well. Music is playing in the background. Right is we go up to cut our cake, Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells starts playing, and everyone just kind of freezes. People are literally dropping their glasses, and food is literally falling out of their agape mouths. See, this song is one of my husband's favorites. It reminds him of spring, of fishing at his parents' mountain cabin, and of picking raspberries with his grandmother. He thinks it's one of the happiest and most upbeat songs he's ever heard. But this song is also known as the eerie "doodoo doo doo doodoo" theme in The Exorcist. Husband, having never seen the movie or heard any jokes referencing the "doodoo doo doodoodoo", had no idea what associations we had with that song. And of course 95% of my family are devout Catholics, and the other 5% pentacostal. A long explanation ensued, and most went back to normal, but there are still some in our family who have never looked at us quite the same.

Ah well, that's my story. Carry on. I remembered this because he just played the song, and started laughing, and asked, "Do you remember this??"

So anyway. Reception goes, all is well. Music is playing in the background. Right is we go up to cut our cake, Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells starts playing, and everyone just kind of freezes. People are literally dropping their glasses, and food is literally falling out of their agape mouths. See, this song is one of my husband's favorites. It reminds him of spring, of fishing at his parents' mountain cabin, and of picking raspberries with his grandmother. He thinks it's one of the happiest and most upbeat songs he's ever heard. But this song is also known as the eerie "doodoo doo doo doodoo" theme in The Exorcist. Husband, having never seen the movie or heard any jokes referencing the "doodoo doo doodoodoo", had no idea what associations we had with that song. And of course 95% of my family are devout Catholics, and the other 5% pentacostal. A long explanation ensued, and most went back to normal, but there are still some in our family who have never looked at us quite the same.

Ah well, that's my story. Carry on. I remembered this because he just played the song, and started laughing, and asked, "Do you remember this??"

It could have been worse. It could have been the theme from Jaws.

Can I add a little story about my wedding that I just remembered?

Well, not really my wedding. My reception. Since lots of family et. al. didn't have a chance to attend, we held our reception a month later, back home. I left the music selection up to my husband, the audiophile. Hubby, not being an American citizen, well... let's just say it's hit or miss on what movies he has seen, what "connections" he knows about, what cultural references will make sense to him, etc.

Too funny!!!

We cut the cake to the song Dragula by Rob Zombie, a fave of both of ours. ~Mandy

Shortly after this I threw the husband out. :phanvan I got married when I was 22 and the marriage collapsed when I was 27.
That's better than my former roommate. She was married at 22 and they were separated within 6 months. To this day, I think she just didn't want to hurt the guy by saying "no", and she wanted the whole "wedding experience". It REALLY pleased those of us who had spent lots of time, effort, and money on the wedding. In my more pissed off moments, I even thought about asking her for a refund of the money I spent on the damn bridesmaids dress, wedding gifts, shower gifts, etc.

That's better than my former roommate. She was married at 22 and they were separated within 6 months. To this day, I think she just didn't want to hurt the guy by saying "no", and she wanted the whole "wedding experience". It REALLY pleased those of us who had spent lots of time, effort, and money on the wedding. In my more pissed off moments, I even thought about asking her for a refund of the money I spent on the damn bridesmaids dress, wedding gifts, shower gifts, etc.

Ouch!

I knew a woman who married in order to leave her parents' roof. That marriage didn't last long, either.:rolleyes

OOOooohhh if we wanna talk about THOSE marriages/weddings----how's this--

My 1st cousin was getting married in San Antonio many years ago (about 23-24 yrs ago I believe) and begged us to come. We were living 20 hours away---but we loaded up with my folks & my 2 year old--and drove down to a massive heat wave. It did not dip below 100 for 3 days or nights. My kiddo was sick with the heat, so we missed the reception completely. My Uncle who was career Air Force spent well over $100K even back then. He had a huge oil painted portrait done of my cousin in her wedding gown. Rented limos to transport everyone from the chapel to the Gun Club on base---he hired a videographer (pre perseonal VCR's by maybe a year)---I mean tons of money and time went into the wedding/reception, and it was beautiful. They got married Saturday evening, and Sunday morning we were at my Aunt & Uncles watching the video---when my cousin stormed in the door. She had left him! It was not 18 hours later! We figured she would calm down and it would blow over. But hell no. She took the wedding cash she had been given and high tailed it---she flew home with a friend of hers who had flown in for the wedding. She never did go back to him. She did not however have the marriage annulled, she waited 3 months and filed for divorce. Why 3 months? Etiquette books say she can keep the wedding gifts after 3 months.....

True story. Never in all the years since has she even mentioned the guy, nor what happen. My Mom and I in our own evil little gossip sessions guess at off the wall things that could have happen!!! We get more bizarre, and kinky in every guess!!!!

Sorry---will let you get back to topic---just thought I would share this prize while we were talking wacky weddings!

Kat

Holy mackeral! That's a lot of bucks!! That's a fine down payment on a piece of property or some pretty sweet cash to put into an investment portfolio! A grrl could also buy very some fine household furnishings for that kinda cash or some terribly respectable jewellery.

:) I am very curious and have a question for anyone who can answer it. Do these bridezillas actually settle down and enjoy the "magic" day once it comes or are they still so charged up over this issue of perfection that they don't? I would love it if someone could supply me with an answer.

Well Green, my dear cousin who did spend all of this money is a freak, everything is a ridiculas fight with her. I can not see how her hubby puts up with her, I see no magic in her eyes, only fire!

Ahhh, wedding stories. They are legion.

I flew to Bermuda to be a bridesmaid in one of those she-just-wants-the-ring weddings. I hate to say that because she is and was one of my very best friends, but even she recognizes that she married the wrong guy for all the wrong reasons. They had two kids but it was over in five or six years.

She married a second wrong guy (this lady has issues), but at least this time it was at the J of P. That one ended in four. :rolleyes

I understand the drive to have it all one's own way, because it's really the very rare chance in a lifetime to have it all be about YOU. It's special, you know it, everyone else knows it, and it can be a wonderful experience. My first wedding was all about the guy--he wouldn't budge on the details and gave me no string. (I shoulda known then, huh?) So the second time I wanted it to be wonderful, but of course that doesn't mean it has to be expensive or over-the-top. Make the bride and groom pay for it themselves, and that'll keep the costs down! :girl_hug:

We got married on my grandmother's front porch with the audience on the lawn; had a rented dance floor under a tent in the yard; had my husband's deli "cater" the pre-ceremony noshes; I gave the DJ a list of what I DIDN'T want to hear (the Electric Slide, anyone?) but gave him permission to surprise us; and I gave my husband a giant chocolate-chip cookie as the groom's cake. Even with more than 100 guests it was low-key, elegant, and relatively inexpensive. We spent way more on the honeymoon than we did on the wedding.

We got married on my grandmother's front porch with the audience on the lawn; had a rented dance floor under a tent in the yard; had my husband's deli "cater" the pre-ceremony noshes; I gave the DJ a list of what I DIDN'T want to hear (the Electric Slide, anyone?) but gave him permission to surprise us; and I gave my husband a giant chocolate-chip cookie as the groom's cake. Even with more than 100 guests it was low-key, elegant, and relatively inexpensive. We spent way more on the honeymoon than we did on the wedding.

I offered my daughter and son-in-law $5000, plus a great honeymoon, if they would do a "location wedding" with just family. I figured it would be less stressful for me, and I'd come out way cheaper, to boot. But they wouldn't go for it. They were young and they wanted a party with all their friends.

Everybody had a wedding horror story to tell me....the bakery, the caterer, the bridal shop owner - everyone. I told my daughter that there was never a perfect wedding. Something would surely go wrong, but if we were lucky, it wouldn't be a major issue. Turned out the disk jockey had written the wrong date in his daytimer, so we arrived at the reception sans music. But I was able to reach him by phone and he showed up ASAP and did a great job.

The mother of the groom's job is much easier. All you have to do is wear something that doesn't clash and keep your mouth shut.

PS....New topic....is the Electric Slide worse than the Macarena?

IMO the Electric Slide is the devil's spawn. :girl_hug: There is just something about it that makes me want to run screaming from the room! The Macarena and other line dances don't thrill me; I don't dance to them but I stand on the side looking faintly amused.

You're absolutely right about the wedding horror stories. For mine it was the rain, which came down in torrents after sunset. But as with all things, there was a silver lining. It ended the party at a decent time--we'd been out there since 3:00 p.m. and it was 10:00 or so when everyone left. And of course the partying continued at the hotel for those of us who were so inclined.

I hope by the time my daughters get married this silly notion of who pays for the wedding will have changed. We certainly aren't going to mortgage our retirement for a big party or two! And while I have no qualms about sticking to my guns about that, it'd sure be nice not to alienate the grooms' families or the kids in the process.

Ok ya'all I am sure my wedding horror story has got to take the top of the list! First of all we planned our wedding for the 17 th of September, before my DH went into the military. So my MIL decided that she HAD TO GET MARRIED BEFORE we did, and planned hers for a few weeks before ours. Just to steal my thunder. Nice eh?

Well, we were just 17 & 18, so we had no money. My parents would not pay for anything but the cater. So as you can imagine I had to do what I could to make do. My church which I had been a member of my entire life refused to marry us because of my age. So we choose to get married on the spot we met, at a local camp ground. My parents made a STRICT rule that we could only have 100 people, and my Dh has a bigger family. BUT because my mom was paying for the cater, she took 75. I was NOT allowed to have any friends other than the 2 in the wedding party. My mom had people she needed to have there. (b*tch) We invited as many as we could on my husbands side, but we had to leave MANY off. We didn't have room for his cousin who he was very close to. When the day comes my father in laws family decided that since we were too young, and it wouldn't last more than a year that they would not come. That was almost everyone we had invited on his side. Very nice hu???

Well the ceremony didn't go that well. We coulnd't find my husband right before the ceremony, he had disappeared. So his best man came to ask me if I had any idea where he would go. He was found talking to some girl at the pool. :girl_hug: RIGHT after we kissed my mom stood up and yelled "She's your problem now David. You take care of the b*tch" Hence the reason my wedding video taken by my mom's friend has never been seen! Things did not get better, we went downstairs to eat. The cater served green roast beef (no joke) and my white wedding cake has turned brown from too much butter in the frosting.

After everyone was done eating dear mother made me open all presents in front of everyone. Yeah fun. And after she got furious with me because I would not clean up in my wedding dress! We escaped to a local bar where I got trashed. (Thank god) but then got hit on. This drunk ass man grabbed my ass. His excuse was was that he didn't know I was married. But I was in a princess wedding dress. (that was my big splurge I wored 3 jobs for 4 months to get it)! He did grab me more than once and tried to kiss me! My hubby and my father in laws and some of the rest of the men took him outside to beat his ass. The cops were called of course, and we were able to keep my hubby out of jail but not my uncle and father in law!

If that wasn't enough my mother in law ending up going home with us and wouldn't leave until 6 am... :girl_hug: All in all the worst day in my life...lol...

My husband promised that night we would get remarried on our 10th anniversary. We were schedualed to do that 3 years ago on a Disney

cruise but someone double booked the venue and we got bumped...lol...

Did DIsney comp the cruise for you? They should have. Or should offer you another cruise so you can have your big day. ~Mandy