Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: How long did it take you to lose 100 lbs?

I lost 100 in 5 months...because I was in the hospital with complications with the sleeve...Helped that I did not eat for 51/2 months and almost died..Try not to do it how I did eh..

Oh yes I will be a year on Nov.6th and down 176 lbs....I think being really, really sick gave me an edge...and not a good one I might add!

I read your story, and I'm so glad you're ok! What a fright!

I would like to know too--but only for myself. I'd like to know when I personally will lose 100 lbs or the 80 that I want to lose. I've compared myself with everyone, I've compared myself with only those who started with my BMI, or my age, or hypothyroid or whatever. Ntvtxn and Laura-ven were closest to my height, starting weight, goal weight, and age. I sometimes check in with them. But it's really for reassurance, not comparison. Even with them, ntvtxn reached goal in 6 months, Laura didn't and I likely won't.

I crunch numbers for a living. And I STILL don't know when I will lose my 80 lbs. I've had to embrace the uncertainty. Do I like it? I do not. Do I have a choice? Apparently I do not.

I wish there was a simple answer to your question. Me, I'd pay good money to know it :)

I get it' date=' results vary. I'm entering this cautiously. Which is why I'm simply asking how long it took. No values given either way. Just research. I'm new to the sleeve (meaning I haven't gotten it yet), but I've been researching wls for 8 years. Just waited until I was done having babies before I did it. I have lost hundreds (and gained them back) over the years, so I know how slowly it can come off. Like I said, this is just a harmless poll.[/quote']

Lol then I'll come back and let you know how long it took me. I hope your still alive and kicking because it might be awhile :P

Oh yes I've been so successful losing this weight so many times! I'm hoping this time will be the last :)

" Laura didn't and I likely won't."

Whadda mean won't!!!! :P

In six months, silly. That's what I meant. Of course we will reach goal!

I would like to know too--but only for myself. I'd like to know when I personally will lose 100 lbs or the 80 that I want to lose. I've compared myself with everyone' date=' I've compared myself with only those who started with my BMI, or my age, or hypothyroid or whatever. Ntvtxn and Laura-ven were closest to my height, starting weight, goal weight, and age. I sometimes check in with them. But it's really for reassurance, not comparison. Even with them, ntvtxn reached goal in 6 months, Laura didn't and I likely won't. I crunch numbers for a living. And I STILL don't know when I will lose my 80 lbs. I've had to embrace the uncertainty. Do I like it? I do not. Do I have a choice? Apparently I do not. I wish there was a simple answer to your question. Me, I'd pay good money to know it :)[/quote']The key may be to be a little OD about it. Drink as much Water as you can, eat as low carb as you can (eg 20-30 g), eat as much Protein as you can, exercise as much as you can and, of course, be on VST as much as you can. Take the guidelines of 80 G protein and 64 oz as guidelines. I look at them as minimums. Find the a way to maximize or minimize all of these numbers to the best of your abilities and stick with it, day after day, month after month. Take your Vitamins every day. Do not cheat. Do not get distracted. Not everyone wants to be this focused, but it will help you reach 100 lb loss sooner rather then later. Eat foods that are going to stabilize your insulin and endocrine responses. Stay clear of sugar, dairy, breads, etc. After you reach goal or near goal, slowly, and I mean slowly, relax off the obsessiveness into a lifestyle set of choices. It will, and should, take several months to curb your calories and carbs up to maintenance levels. It is key to do this slowly. I ramped calories up to 900-1100 until month 6 and then worked on increasing over several months to where it is today, about 2000-2200. That will be 100 dollars for advice. :)

The key may be to be a little OD about it. Drink as much Water as you can, eat as low carb as you can (eg 20-30 g), eat as much Protein as you can, exercise as much as you can and, of course, be on VST as much as you can. Take the guidelines of 80 G Protein and 64 oz as guidelines. I look at them as minimums. Find the a way to maximize or minimize all of these numbers to the best of your abilities and stick with it, day after day, month after month. Take your Vitamins every day. Do not cheat. Do not get distracted. Not everyone wants to be this focused, but it will help you reach 100 lb loss sooner rather then later. Eat foods that are going to stabilize your insulin response. Stay clear of sugar, dairy, breads, etc. After you reach goal or near goal, slowly, and I mean slowly, relax off the obsessiveness into a lifestyle set of choices. It will, and should, take several months to curb your calories and carbs up to maintenance levels. It is key to do this slowly. That will be 100 dollars for advice. :)

I'd pay you the $100 if I wasn't already doing all those things! I hit minimum 60 protein, less than 50 carbs, drink as much as i can, don't do sugar or bread, do Vitamins, I do dairy for cheese, cottage cheese and greek yogurt but not daily, and only eat low GI veggies, and almost no fruit. Paleo except for dairy basically.

I'd pay you $150 if you solve the dilemma of when I'll be at goal. Wanna bet? :)

Precisely as long as it takes ( :-) )

I lost 100 in about 10 months from my highest weight (423), and am 5 months out. I lose from 1 to 3 # a week now. I am in no hurry. I have plenty more to go. No journey is too long if you don't stop walking.

5'11"

M' date=' 37

Start : 360 (May 2012)

End: 175 (February 2013)

Lost first 100 lb during month 3.

[/quote']

Fiddleman, your results are amazing. Great job. I am roughly the same starting stats as you and I am getting sleeved next Monday. I hope that I have the same results!

caligirl3,

I am curious as well about weight loss timelines. I'm 69 days pre-op and I'm a fact hound. We both understand that each person has their own journey and that we can't compare ourselves to others. We've been thoroughly indoctrinated into the VSG cult. ;) Being curious about other people's timelines isn't a bad thing. This is all interesting information and each sleever is a role model. I shake my fist at the 3 month males on principle... how fair is that? lol At the 6 mo. to 1 year females, I cheer at their success and it brings me hope for my upcoming journey. It's inspiring and you ladies are all muses! And I marvel at the 1-year-and-still-not-there females. Your strength is admirable and encouraging. Seeing your stories prepares me for "the worst" and knowing that you are out there fighting my possible future fight steels my nerves for what may come. I know that if I fall, you'll be there with advice, empathy, a shoulder to cry on and an ear to b**ch at.

My curiosity for this topic isn't a comparison... it's research and I'm thankful you asked. I was thinking of posting a similar topic but was leery of the "DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF!" backlash. Thanks!

Edited by Nevermore

I do hope you guys don't think we're raining on the poll parade, certainly not the intent. It's not an admonishment, just the new reality that I for one am struggling to accept. I like certainties as much as the next gal, but I'm not getting any as part of this journey. The only certainty appears to be, keep to the plan and you will eventually lose most of the weight. No timeframe specified, no guarantee of reaching the goal we came up with, no real standards for comparison, etc.

When I was pre-op I wanted to know the exact same thing. When people said losing is easy, maintenance is hard. I was like, "for YOU maybe. For me, losing is impossible!!" I'm not the fastest loser around, but as time goes by, I'm realizing what they meant when they said, it's about maintenance.

At 3 months post, it's just sunk in that THIS is my life, probably forever. Maybe a little treat now and then, but really, 80% this is how my life will be until I die or decide to screw it and get fat again. And it's intimidating. and scary and I do want to help pre-oppers see that, so please accept my comments in that vein.

now back to the poll! :)

Edited by gamergirl

gamergirl,

Your advice is noted and well-appreciated. The maintenance thing will be nothing new to me. I honestly think my fight pre-op has been much harder than my post-op fight will be. I've been through nothing short of hell the past 20 years. I've got a bit of a special circumstances case. But that's another topic! Please, ladies! More results! :)