Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Esophageal Manometry for GERD and Esophageal Spasms

Has anyone had a Esophageal Manometry after sleeve surgery and if so, how was it and were you sedated?? Any information will be appreciated!

I've been suffering with these things for months and I don't have a normal life anymore. They are the most painful things I've ever experienced!!! I just want them to go away.

Anyone else has the experience? I've been told that severe GERD will cause the problem.

Thank you!

Has anyone had a Esophageal Manometry after sleeve surgery and if so' date=' how was it and were you sedated?? Any information will be appreciated!

I've been suffering with these things for months and I don't have a normal life anymore. They are the most painful things I've ever experienced!!! I just want them to go away.

Anyone else has the experience? I've been told that severe GERD will cause the problem.

Thank you![/quote']

No experience with it, but did read up on it here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/esophageal-manometry/MY01208

I imagine they will twilight sedate you in a similar fashion to the endoscopy we had pre-sleeve surgery. If so, you won't remember the scoping ...

Good luck with the procedure and I hope the doctors find the answers to offer proper treatment.

Oh god, anything that includes the word 'spasm' in it automatically comes with massive PAIN. I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you're having, I very much hope they find you some answers and effective treatment!! The procedure itself will likely be a breeze in comparison, and twilight sedation is very effective for such things. All the best!

My husband had one done prior to surgery, not post. He was not sedated at all - as he had to swallow every 30 seconds, then try his best to suppress his gag reflex for another 30 seconds - as they are taking readings and looking at what is going on in the esophagus. He had a hiatal hernia repaired during the first part of his vsg surgery. I am so sorry for your ongoing issues with this terrible stuff Lisa :(....the manometery is not fun - my hubby hated it.

I recently had an esophageal manometry, and it was by far the worst test that I've endured! I had to have 10 consecutive uninterrupted swallows. The numbing spray wore off half way through the test, which was painful. My test lasted for about 1 hr 15 mins because I couldn't get 10 consecutive sips and swallows without the intermittent swallows by nature. Smh I felt like I was choking the entire time! My RN was extremely nice and considerate, which helped, a little. Yet and still, I will NOT have that test again! I'm currently awaiting results to determine whether or not the sleeve or bypass would be most appropriate.

Dawnie_doo

I recently had an esophageal manometry, and it was by far the worst test that I've endured! I had to have 10 consecutive uninterrupted swallows. The numbing spray wore off half way through the test, which was painful. My test lasted for about 1 hr 15 mins because I couldn't get 10 consecutive sips and swallows without the intermittent swallows by nature. Smh I felt like I was choking the entire time! My RN was extremely nice and considerate, which helped, a little. Yet and still, I will NOT have that test again! I'm currently awaiting results to determine whether or not the sleeve or bypass would be most appropriate.

Dawnie_doo

Wow... so sorry you endured that!! I never had it done. I decided to take meds for it and still am till this day. I also decided NOT to do bypass. I'm so glad I didn't do it. I still have some issues. Some spasms but not as nearly as I was. I will be 4 years out in May. I'm losing again and am so proud I kept off the weight I have. :) I still suffer but realize that some of the acidic foods I was eating like tomatoes bring the spasms on. The spasms were and are the worse pain I've ever felt. I take Levsin and Dexilant and it really helps. I decided I didn't want to cause more issues for myself having the bypass. I see so many complications with that surgery 10 years out. I'm not saying everyone will have issues... but I couldn't take the chance since my husband died of cancer and I'm alone here with no family to help.

Blessings and prayers for you! I hope you don't have to have the bypass.