Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you miss eating like you used to?

I do ok with a med well steak if I ask for it butterflied. I usually order rib-eye, they seem to be the most tender, unless they have filet. ~Mandy

I miss the taste, there are alot of things I can't eat , most of them were my favorites, that kinda bites but you get used to it , food isnt your main concern anymore, you don't get enough of it for it to be. But then again you don't really mind because the hunger is gone too. I don't mean for it to sound really that easy it isnt but it is a life choice and you have to be ready for it.

I am only 5 months out and was really worried that I would miss eating my old way, but I do not miss it one little bit. The thing I miss the least is that awful out of control feeling I would get during a 'feeding frenzy' and the utter disgust I would feel with myself after the fact.

I eat like a gourmet every day -- stuffed flounder with fire roasted vegetables for lunch, grilled salmon and asparagus for dinner. Having the band has broadened my tastebud horizons and this has spilled over to my family, as well. Since my surgery in October, my teenage son who always had a weight problem has really gotten into shape. We don't have 'crap' in the house anymore and he actually enjoys eating healthy, whole foods. We both have commented about just how much better we feel and how much more energy we have.

It's amazing how much my tastes have changed as far as food is concerned. I seem to automatically crave healthy food now as opposed to junk. I feel so much better. The only thing my husband doesn't like is that I don't really care about eating out anymore. I mean, I don't mind going out, but I don't care where we go, and I always make him pick, and he hates that! I just figure wherever we go, I will find something good to eat. It just doesn't have the same appeal as it used to. The only thing I maybe miss a little is Chinese food--I used to order chicken fried rice and egg foo young at least once a week before I was banded. Now, rice is not my friend, so I just don't bother. The one thing I thought I would miss more than I do is bread. I haven't had bread since November, but I could care less!

This is a great thread. Up until three or four months ago, I missed the old eating habits. Now I don't. I like eating small portions. But I hate when people make me feel guilty for not eating much food. I just sit there and think that I will be better off in the long run, so I just tune them out. It is easier than explaining the surgery to everyone I ever go to eat with. I enjoy eating of saucers. I think it is kinda funny compairing my food to other people in my family's. My niece eats more than I do. Makes me laugh. But in short, I don't miss it.

Same here, my 5 year old eats more than I do. We went to a buffet last night and I had a small scoop of crab salad, 4 shrimp (boiled) and 3 bites of mashed sweet potatos. I had a kids sized ice cream cone and only ate a few small bites of it. I was full. The total amount on my place would cover a saucer if that and some of it was sent back. My daughter had 2 slices of pizza, some mac n' cheese, and 2 Cookies, more than double what I ate. The manager came over and offered to refund my money as he felt that I didn't enjoy myself. I explained to him that his establishment was one of my favorite places to eat because I could control my portions and choose several items without them all having to be appitizer combo stuff. I had a healthy meal, and enjoyed the time with my family. ~Mandy

I am way to new to beingbanded to really answer this question but it made me remember what someone said to me just before I got the band.

She was a very dear friend and she said" Are you sure about this? It will change your life forever."

At first Isaid I know and just went on but I was panicking inside! Then I just let the thought really sink in. I realized "You know something needs to change and be a permanent change" Then I also thought about all the life changing experiences I have had over the years. I realized most of them were either good or I really grew from them as a person. So my new attitude is

I hope it does change my life forever!!:)

I am way to new to beingbanded to really answer this question but it made me remember what someone said to me just before I got the band.

She was a very dear friend and she said" Are you sure about this? It will change your life forever."

At first Isaid I know and just went on but I was panicking inside! Then I just let the thought really sink in. I realized "You know something needs to change and be a permanent change" Then I also thought about all the life changing experiences I have had over the years. I realized most of them were either good or I really grew from them as a person. So my new attitude is

I hope it does change my life forever!!:)

That is a GREAT attitude. :clap2: I may have to adopt it myself.

Things really do change, and it's so individual. What changes for me isn't the same change for other people. I think we have to just be open to listening to our bodies and minds. I've found some real surprises so far.

And I also think we need to be honest, some changes may not feel good at least at first, and I've struggled with some. But I used to say I'd do anything needed to lose weight and be healthy. So now I have to prove that to myself

I do miss the high I got from pigging out, but the actual food is starting to lose its appeal. I shared my experience this weekend in another thread, but basically, I went out to eat this weekend, having given myself permission to have whatever I wanted. I sent back the appetizer as it was so greasy, barely drank the cocktail I ordered because it tasted like liquid lollipop and only had a few bites of my steak and potatoes- no bread, no dessert. I was really disappointed that it didn't taste like I wanted it to. I was happy on the other hand because I finally got to that place I had heard so many banders talk about-when food doesn't taste the same.

I think some of us may have a closer emotional relationship with food, so the time it takes for this to happen varies. But, I KNOW it is worth it. My band journey hasn't been without complications, but I am starting to believe the weight won't come back and I CAN do this for the rest of my life.

I believe most of us had a love/hate relationship with food prior to being banded. While we loved the food, we hated the fact that we obviously did not have a control over it that "others" did. And it led us to feelings of inadequacy.

Banding, does allow you to focus on the other aspects of life, that before seemed to center around the food. At family get togethers, you get to spend more time with family as opposed to food! I say that as a joke, when I am eating with others, I seldom seriously notice a difference. I EAT the food I have differently, not to mention the TYPE of food I have. I will order the best steak on the menu, in the smallest size. There is no question---it WILL be enough. I enjoy the tastes and textures more---and pay more attention to what the actual food itself tastes like, not just the preparation method. Because when you have to fully CHEW something, you get to taste the food, not the breading, or the sauces it was cooked in, but the food itself. So you want it to be good! I take a bite, a small bite, and begin eating, I chew longer than I ever used to, I sit my fork down between bites. I do not even put the next bite on my fork until the first bite is swallowed. When you start doing that you notice how others shovel it in----just like we used to! I pay very close attention to my speed. And in the end, we are all finishing up at about the same time. The difference is, they are finishing because their plates are empty, and I am finishing, because I am full. I will take probably 3/4 of my meal home if not more.

I thought like you did that would bother me, but instead, it has changed the love/hate relationship---to one I just love! I love my food still! I do, like I say really enjoy the different textures. Who knew a good steak could have almost a creamy texture as you eat it!!! Or a nice juicy shrimp---it may take 4-5 bites to finish that shrimp instead of just popping it in whole---but it tastes fantastic! You learn to appreciate the food itself. And when you are full, you know you have ate a good healthy meal, you have not overate, you have fed your body----not your emotions. There is never the disgust with yourself after a HUGE meal.

There were times in the beginning, I missed the eating without thinking. Not worrying if it was good for me, or good with the band---but it becomes second nature, just as gorging ourselves did. Only now it is good habits I am developing---not the ones that were killing me.

It is a different life---but a much better one in my opinion---I don't miss my old habits.

Kat

YES!!! The only thing I miss is not being able to really enjoy my food. I mean I have to sit down and pay close attention to how much I'm putting in my mouth. I really don't eat now as much as I should, because it's somewhat of a hassle. When I do eat I try to select foods that will go down easy. I love the weight loss though!

Be Blessed

I have not yet been banded and one of the things that has worried me most about being banded is feeling like I was missing something because my eating will change so drastically. I'm following this thread with great interest and feel very heartened by reading what you have all written.

I love to cook, I truly, truly love it. Though I usually only cook when we are up at a house we have farther up in the state (Michigan) because it has a big kitchen with lots of counter space and it is bright. When I'm there it is a pleasure to cook and I carefully plan my meals. For whatever reason they are made with fresher ingredients and are usually a more complicated recipe.

Here in the small apartment we live in I have a tiny dark kitchen with virtually no counterspace. I hate cooking here and rarely do it. It's a chore, it is cramped and the main oven's thermostat is broken so all I have is a tiny side oven (an old avocado-colored double stove, but I love it) and the burners on top. I am pretty limited in what I even want to cook here. I was thinking that I need to do something ASAP about this kitchen so I will find more pleasure in cooking where I live full-time. If I find more pleasure in it, I think I'll be more likely to choose better foods.

I have been reading LBT for a number of months now and finally joined a little while ago. I have learned to listen to what you wise folks have to say and to try some things now so I won't have as big of an adjustment later. So I've been trying to eat more like I've been banded (though my portions remain larger). I've been practising chewing and chewing (I still don't have that down yet, I can't stand the warm liquidy texture it becomes) and taking smaller bites. It is nice to read Kat's post about a shrimp being 4 or 5 bites instead of one because that gives me some idea of what I need to aim for. I have been using small plates and cups and bowls and it does help even pre-band with Portion Control. I have given up almost all refined sugars and white flours and I have almost toatally cut back on all artificial sweeteners. I bought some Stevia and have been using that for my tea. I'm eating whole grains and lots of green vegetables. It is truly amazing how just those little changes have changed my desires. I don't find myself craving sweets anymore. Granted I still would love a nice slice of fresh baked sourdough with some butter on it, but I don't *have* to have it.

I hope that this is similar to the feeling you get after banding when you don't have certain cravings any longer. So far I don't miss eating the way I did in December before I made these changes. Though I will still have a big change ahead when I get banded. Hopefully I'll make it through okay!:hungry:

Faith, the best way to learn smaller bites is a set of baby silverware. I used a baby spoon and fork for several weeks after I started mushies and real food. It helps you get the amount you need, not the amount you are used too. ~Mandy

post-219402-13813135028946_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone! I'm scheduled for my banding on April 3rd. I have lots of questions that I stil haven't found answers for. I've been reading about how my relationship with food will change. Giving up certain foods for good, eating much smaller portions, not going to restuarants? Is this true of most of you? I'm not afraid of the surgery, but I want to be very prepared for the post-opt period. Any advice will be taken seriously. :omg:

post-216074-13813134712548_thumb.jpg