Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing expenses after surgery

Haven't had surgery yet, but i wanted to know does it get expensive when it comes to buying clothes after surgery. Because I'll be losing weight fast, I'll have to go shopping constantly. Which i would love but I don't got it like that. Lol

Linda305

There are clothing exchanges, resale shops, Walmart, clearance racks etc. You will definitely be looking for new clothes but there are ways to make it cheaper. :)

I'm worried about this too. I think I'll buy things a little tight and only buy things that will look good when I wear them loose. And maybe buy some sashed and belts I can use to tie around my waist and make a loose shirt look kind of like a tunic or something. Time to get creative! Basically, I'm just excited that this is even a problem I'm going to have. lol

I definitely bought things tight so I would get more time out of them. I also bought off the clearance rack for the next season. You have to be careful with that because your not quite sure how much you will lose. Getting creative will be a huge help! :)

Haven't had surgery yet' date=' but i wanted to know does it get expensive when it comes to buying clothes after surgery. Because I'll be losing weight fast, I'll have to go shopping constantly. Which i would love but I don't got it like that. Lol

Linda305[/quote']

Shopping is shopping and will always be expensive (especially once we start enjoying it more!). That being said, I think there are definitely some tricks to keep things on the cheap side, at lease until I reach goal, then let the splurge begin!

Obviously visiting the sale racks or thrift stores is what most people would recommend first. Especially as you start wearing smaller sizes. Usually the discount racks have the smaller available sizes (which now you'll fit hehe).

But my top way I'm going to save cash before goal (besides wearing things until the very last second and FINALLY utilizing some under sized goal clothes I invested in a long time ago haha) is my younger sister has always been the smaller of the two of us, she fluctuates between 170-180 and wears medium to large female sizes. While we have different body shapes (she's a pear, I'm hourglass), she has a clothes hoarding problem and I already asked if as I drop down in weight she'd be willing to loan/donate any to me. She agreed.

I don't know how many family members or friends you have that are going to know, but if you have someone who does who also wears in between sizes (M,L,XL depending how much you have to lose), maybe ask some of them :)

Sorry for the rant haha

Fortunately I kept some of my old clothes, so I'm set for 4 sizes........but church tag sales, good will, thrift stores are great places to shop......I've gotten things like Chico's clothing, brand new, with the price tags still on them for a few dollars....can't beat it.

There are also things to make your dollar go farther.....for example, this website shows how 13 pieces of clothing can give you 31 looks........http://moneysavingmom.com/2011/09/13-different-clothing-pieces-turned-into-31-different-outfits.html I used to know how 9 pieces of clothing gave you 27.......can't remember the details, but very similar to what they show in that link.

I tend to wear tops a little longer......as I lose weight, I tighten my belt and then if desperate take in my pants at the waist.......and it may not look the best, but my tops and suit jackets cover my newbie sewing attempts and no one is the wiser, so I can wear the pants for 2 sizes.......

Thanks everyone, you gave me some great ideas. I put aside some money just for that but wanted to find some other ways to save. Thanks again

Linda305

Can I ask what people did about suits? I have suits for another 10-15 lbs down but then I'm out of my closet shopping options. I don't have to have insanely expensive ones, but they do need to be dressy looking jackets, blazers, skirts, pants, shells, etc. where can one find those cheaply?

Add to that my expensive shoes don't even fit anymore. I don't know at what point I can say my shoe size has stopped dropping? So I'm hesitant to buy new shoes but I am stepping out of most of mine with each step.

Any thoughts? OP I hope you don't think I'm hijacking your thread? If you do I can delete and ask in a new one :)

Fortunately I kept some of my old clothes' date=' so I'm set for 4 sizes........but church tag sales, good will, thrift stores are great places to shop......I've gotten things like Chico's clothing, brand new, with the price tags still on them for a few dollars....can't beat it. There are also things to make your dollar go farther.....for example, this website shows how 13 pieces of clothing can give you 31 looks........http://moneysavingmom.com/2011/09/13-different-clothing-pieces-turned-into-31-different-outfits.html I used to know how 9 pieces of clothing gave you 27.......can't remember the details, but very similar to what they show in that link. I tend to wear tops a little longer......as I lose weight, I tighten my belt and then if desperate take in my pants at the waist.......and it may not look the best, but my tops and suit jackets cover my newbie sewing attempts and no one is the wiser, so I can wear the pants for 2 sizes.......

LOVE the link!! Thank you.

I have plans..oh yes people..My best friend had surgery back in May and gave me clothes. I touch them every time I walk in closet knowing I will be wearing them soon. I have a friend who owns a Plus size resale shop and will be giving her clothes and when they sell, I will be able to get smaller and so on until I can't wear her clothes anymore. Then I move onto other resale shops in the area. I love to resale shop so this is going to be great for me. I am going to turn over a new leaf much to my sisters dismay....I am going to become the girlie girl that my sister hoped would never happen. Her opinion is the universe cannot take 2 of us...lol...so what I am trying to ramble on about is that shopping is the main thing I am looking forward to on my new journey. My husband is dreading the expense but at the same time knows he is going to meet the new improved me and is in for the ride of his life...LOL

x

Edited by woo woo

Oh I will so remember that as we are moving to Dallas Next year due to our place of employment moving....

There is a great resale in Dallas called Rethreads. It's at Preston and 635. They carry tons of suits and jackets and such for work. The prices are not bad to begin with' date=' but you can also get on the mailing list and they will send you a postcard letting you know when they have a redline sale going on and everything is marked down like up to 25-75% off. It's a cool place to shop! They have shoes etc too. http://www.rethreadsofdallas.com/

Thank you thank you thank you!!

I for one am dreading the day I have to shop for new clothes :)

I for one am dreading the day I have to shop for new clothes :)

Oh such sad words..lol..