Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dizziness or Blurred Vision

Hey all,

I had my surgery a week ago on August 23rd. I have noticed over the past few days that I have had bad hunger pains, I feel a bit dizzy and my vision is slightly blurry even with my reading glasses on. Does anyone know if this a side effect of the surgery and Heparin shots I am taking? Has anyone else had these?

Are you drinking enough Water? Getting dehydrated will cause dizziness/lightheadedness. The heparin shots are to prevent clots. They shouldn't cause dizziness. Are you still getting them?Best of luck to you! Congratulations on being a Bandster!:D

Yeah, I am drinking all of my liquids every hour on the hour. I did make a call to the center where I had the surgery performed and they told me that it may be the patch I am wearing for nausea that is causing these symptoms.

I looked the patch up the internet and it seemed as if it was the cause because they listed dizziness and blurred vision as side effects. So hopefully that's all it is. Now I just need to decide if I want to be dizzy and blurry or take the patch off and be nauseous! Gee what a choice!

I have to give myself the shot of Heparin for two weeks. So far one week down and one to go! I HATE NEEDLES!

I bet that patch may be one of your problems. I wore one on a cruise once and I was continually thirsty. But I didn't have any nausea problems. Why are you having problems with nausea and having to do the Heparin shots?:D

I am having problems with the Heparin because I hate the fact that I need to give myself the shots. Sometimes they don't hurt and other times they sting so bad. I just have a phobia about needles.

I also hate feeling nauseous. After surgery I was in pain and when I got home from the hospital I was also sick because the air conditioning unit was right next to my bed. It just seemed as if everything was piling up on me at once.

Now knowing the patch may be causing the dizziness and blurred vision I feel better. I also took some pain med this morning so I feel real good at the moment. Now if I could just get the hunger pains out of the way I would be set. I would love to go to bed early once they start, but because I need to get a shot of Heparin every eight hours I'm usually up till 10:00. I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep if I were to wake myself.

They want me to take Heparin so I don't get blood clots, even though I am up and walking every hour.

I also have a manual breathing machine that needs to be done every hour along with drinking 2-3 ounces of liquids every hour on the hour.

I was surprised when I was told to do these things because reading these boards I never heard of anyone else doing them. They did tell me that every surgeon or center is different so I will just do what the doc says!

Yes, please follow YOUR Dr. orders. They all seem to be different. But I'm sure that he has a very good reason for you to do this. How long to have to continue the shots? Do you have someone that can give them to you, instead of doing it yourself? That might be easier for you.:D

I had my surgery on the same day, no heparin shots (but you may be at risk of blood clots so need to take it) and no nausea and no patch. I'd talk to your doctor about getting rid of that patch.

Shireen ~ What time were you banded on Aug 23rd? I was told that Dr Grossbard was going to over see my banding because it was the first time the center I go to was going to have it done.

Since we had it done on the same day, I would love to know how you are feeling? Still in pain? Hungry? What kind of regimen do they have you on?

I spoke with my doc and they said to remove the patch today and see how I feel. They told me that it just may be too powerful for me.

I had it done at 4:30 in the afternoon. I was supposed to be at 8am but go moved, probably because he was going to assist in yours! Where are you? Who did yours?

I am on Clear liquids for 2 weeks. I mean nothing but Water, gatorade, strained juice, broth and Jello. I'm starving and only have a littel pain on my left and my abs are still a little sore when I cough, sneeze etc. I've only lost 2.5 lbs. How about you?

I think you'll feel better once the patch is gone.

My surgery was at 7:00 am at Town N Country Hospital. My surgeon was Dr Dietrick and I went through The Wish Center. I was the first person to have the Lap Band surgery through that location so that's why I was told Dr Grossman would be there to oversee the procedure since he has done so many..

I am also on a liquid diet for two weeks. I can only have milk, Protein Shake or broth in 1 oz cups, and each cup has to last 10 min. I drink every hour on the hour from 8 am to 10 p.m.. Some hours I can have up to 3 oz of Fluid but most hours it is only 2 oz. When I get done with the required fluid I can have Water, crystal light, Decaf tea and fruit 20.

Yeah my pain seems to be going away slowly. Everyday I can do something a little bit easier than the day before. I think right now it's just muscle soreness on my left side from when they stitched the port to the muscle. Other than that I am itchy and I know that is a sign of healing.

I took my bandages off today and the staples look good, but it still grosses me out.

I weighed myself at home and if my beginning weight was correct I have lost 17 pounds since last Monday. I will know the real amount at my second appointment on 9/7 and they will also take the staples out. Then I will also be on puree diet. I am starving too on the liquid diet. It wasn't so bad in the beginning, but as my body begins to heal and gets out of shock it is hungry!

I would love to keep in contact with you to compare how were doing since we had it done on the same day and you are in Florida.

Keep up the good work and we will both be happier and healthy soon enough!