Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

Ewww a blister...oh my! The incision to the right of my belly button hurts from coughing. I'm still sleeping in the recliner, laying flat is not comfortable at all. The good thing is I am actually sleeping!!

I have slept on my side with a small pillow under my belly the past two nights, but During naps and the first few nights I have also used one of those propped pillows you use on the floor for playing video games then surrounded it with pillows on my bed so it is like reclining in my bed.

I am craving coffee today, but I don't think I have ant Decaf ;(

Going to hop on the treadmill for 30 minutes to get that out of the way, then make hubby get us out of the house to get decaf! And get our Christmas shopping completed, we took easy way this year and played the surgery card and told everyone we were giving gift cards or cash, period! We really don't have much to get, thank goodness ;)

Day 3 update... got home yesterday and by last night the gas pains and cramping were kicking my butt! Had a horrible night last night, it felt like there was a war going on in my belly. Up and down, walk, bathroom, took Gas-X, drank Water, I had to force myself to dry heave to let out some of the "stuck" gas. With all the gas I let out in the hospital I was hoping most of it was gone but boy it was still there and putting up a fight!

I finally got my meds delivered this morning and thank goodness for the Bentyl. I took one this morning and it calmed down my belly almost immediately. Anyone else taking that? My doc released me with Reglan, Bentyl, and Prilosec (and liquid Lortab which I haven't needed yet). I never had an acid problem before and I hope I don't get one now :huh:

Trying some warm herbal teas right now, and it feels good going down. So far I have no problem swallowing pills or drinking liquids (knock on wood!!)... no abdominal pain now other than the gas cramps.

And about the gas, I wonder this - ok they fill your belly cavity with it, but it obviously has no where to go until it's absorbed by the digestive system? Which is the reason for the awful burping and tooting, right? Just seems like there is way more gas coming out that there was put in, lol...

Hi all,

Got sleeved dec 16. Someone was talking about left shoulder pain and I've had that too. Does anyone know why? I know they have me a lovinox shot there but I didn't know if that was why it was hurting. I only got in 30 g of Protein yesterday and today only 15 g so far And I'm having a hard time getting liquids in too bc I don't want to push myself too hard but my mom keeps yelling at me to keep drinking!! Have only been walking a little because I'm still very sore and tender. And I went on the scale and only lost like 2 lbs since surgery on Monday. How has everyone lost so much in such a sort amt of time? Anyone not lose a lot like me? I know it's only been 3 and a half days but it seems like people on here have lost 10 lbs in like 3 or 4 days!! Help!

The most common reason for the shoulder pain is trapped gas from surgery. Walking is supposed to help but since you're not getting a lot in, I've seen others talk about using a heating pad to the area.

I'm 6 days out and declining in recovery (not serious, just feeling worse than better). Drinking the fluids seems like a full time job. Just today I started with the suggestion of literally setting a timer on my phone to take in 2 oz every 15 minutes. I've been feeling so full and didn't know if I was drinking too fast or too much, so following the timer guideline, I feel better about that.

HI:

I am having similar issues. Dec. 16th sleeved with a hiatal hernia repair. Just got home from the 2nd hospital stay yesterday afternoon (went back in for severe nausea). It has been nearly impossible to drink the fluids on the plan (2 oz every 15 min.) My stomach feels like it could burst at that rate after about 1 hour of consuming at that level. I have been timing everything I drink and it is a full-time job. Not at all what I expected this would be like.

I am going to cut back to give my stomach more time to process. I am having a lot of regrets after all that has happened this week. Hope it will be better in the days to come. Pain is not that bad, I am on liquid tylenol, I am passing gas fine, no BM yet, but I've only been having Water and IV fluids until today. I am not hungry at all.

I usually sail right through pain and don't usually have this many set backs, so I think it has been very difficult mentally causing me to be very teary. Would love to hear if others who were like this during the first 5 days, have seen improvement as it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now.

Deleted.

Edited by DeezJeanz

Here's the article instead, sry so long, but wanted all to read it in case u find somethinh to give u relief. Gl.

SURGERY Getting Gas Pain Relief after Surgery

There are two common types of gas pain that may occur after surgery. They are quite different, but can both be bothersome. The frequency of questions about both types show that many people suffer from – and seek relief from – postoperative gas pain.

We will refer to the two types as intestinal and intraperitoneal gas pains.

Intestinal gas pains are caused by a buildup of gas inside of the intestines.

Intraperitoneal gas pains are caused by gas trapped outside of the intestines, but inside the abdominal cavity.

GASTROINTESTINAL GAS PAINS

This type of pain can occur after any type of surgery, but is most common after abdominal and pelvic surgery. Both open surgery with longer incisions and laparoscopic surgery in the abdominal cavity can leave the bowels (intestines) ‘stunned’. Anesthesia (general, as well as epidural and spinal) can slow down the bowels, preventing the passage of gas and stool.

Pain medications (narcotic) add to and continue this effect. Constipation and gas buildup are frequent complaints after surgery, as a result.

Did you get that?

Quiz not available on this device.

Relief from Intestinal Gas Pain

The most important thing you can do after surgery is to walk. Walk early and walk often. This isn’t easy and the doctors and nurses are not being cruel when they ask you to do it. There are many benefits to walking after surgery such as preventing blood clots and preventing ileus – intestinal stoppages. Walking encourages the peristaltic movement of the bowels, relieving gas and constipation.

Other types of movement like pulling the legs up to the chest and releasing them, rocking back and forth and turning from side to side may help, but may be too painful to do, depending on the site of surgery.

Heating pads may also provide relief. Remember if you had abdominal surgery, you may have some numbness on your abdominal wall. Do not apply a heating pad to numb skin or burns could result.

If you are allowed to drink, hot tea is a great remedy to help gastrointestinal motility and relieve painful gas pains.

Medications, such as simethicone, which allow gas bubbles to be eliminated from the body more easily, may be used to help with gas passage.

Laparoscopic Surgery

Multiple ports are inserted into the abdomen through small incisions. The abdomen is insufflated with carbon dioxide to give the surgeons room to operate. A camera is passed through one of the ports and transmits to the screens. Source: http://By Samuel Bendet, US Air Force [Public... INTRAPERITONEAL GAS PAIN RELIEF

The gas that becomes trapped in abdominal cavity, itself, has an entirely different mechanism of causing pain. This type of gas pain usually follows laparoscopic surgery. The laparoscopic technique of minimally invasive surgery uses smaller incisions and has a shorter recovery time with less overall pain.

When laparoscopic surgery is performed, a small incision is first made to pass a special needle into the space of the abdominal cavity, staying outside of the organs. Through this long, thin Veress needle, gas (usually carbon dioxide) is passed. This inflates the abdomen and causes the abdominal wall (muscles, skin) to form a dome over the organs. This gas dome is maintained throughout the laparoscopic surgery. Other small incisions are made to pass the small instruments to perform the surgery. Having the abdominal cavity inflated and the abdominal wall separated from the organs, gives the surgeon room to operate with their special instruments without making large incisions.

At the end of the operation, the abomen is allowed (and sometimes assisted) to deflate. The carbon dioxide –CO2—is released from the abdomen. Mostly.

It is not possible to remove all of the CO2, however. The little bit that is left behind can irritate the peritoneum – the lining over the abdominal organs and sometimes the organs themselves. This can be felt as sharp or achy pains.

In addition, the CO2 can settle up under the breathing muscle called the diaphragm. Because of how the nerves connect, this irritation is felt as pain in the lower chest and up into the shoulder.

This type of pain can be quite uncomfortable and may last several days. It will eventually resolve on its own, but can be aided by walking and moving around. In this case, pain medications may be helpful and will not make this type of gas pain worse.

informative hub. we always ask post op patients to do deep breathing exercises and early ambulation is always key to making your bowels move again. Voted up :)

Thank you jhunpaler. I think sometimes people think we aren't doing enough to help when we tell them to walk after surgery (and having had surgery, I do know how hard it can be), but for sure deep breathing and walking are crucial to preventing this and other early post-op complications.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Hub Author

nifwlseirff 18 months ago from Leipzig, Germany

Walking certainly helps the most (as patient with regular laparoscopies). The chest/shoulder pain is awful when trying to sleep, although raising the top of the bed seems to help somewhat. I didn't know that heat/hot tea could help the gastro pain - I'll try it next time! Thanks for a useful hub!

Level 2 Commenter

wayseeker 17 months ago from Colorado

What I really like here is that you've taken the time to explain how these pains work and why they are different. My wife had an ovarian cyst removed through Laparoscopic surgery and had horrible gas pain afterwards. It was quite painful for her, and I still remember how her shoulders felt almost squishy as the gas was exiting. I couldn't touch her without causing pain.

We never did try walking, so that would have been a helpful thing to know. I think it's just so important to have some idea of what to expect and why, which is something that is not always clearly communicated at the time of the surgery.

Useful info, as always,

Bert

TahoeDoc 17 months ago from Lake Tahoe, California

Bert- thanks for reading and commenting. If her shoulder felt squishy, it's possible that some of the gas, instead of staying in the abdominal cavity, entered the plane between the skin and tissue beneath.

The shoulder pain is usually caused by gas under the breathing muscle, and not up near the shoulder itself.

Did it feel "crackly", like Rice Krispy Cereal? We call that crepitus and it is known to happen from time to time with these surgeries. It is generally harmless, although can cause more soreness and take longer to go away. I'll bet that is what you felt.

Hub Author

wayseeker 17 months ago from Colorado

Tahoe,

Yep. That was a good description. All I know is it was horribly painful for her for about a day and a half. I rubbed her shoulders over those days by simply running my fingers across her skin as lightly as possible. Any pressure at all hurt badly.

That said, it was still far better than what a traditional surgery would have been.

Katrina Greenfield 15 months ago

I have just had a laparoscopic surgery not less than 15 hours ago. I am in treible discomfort , which I think is trapped wind in my lower abdomen. I have tried paracetamol and peppermint oil capsules. Has anyone any other. Remidies please.o

TahoeDoc 15 months ago from Lake Tahoe, California

Aww, Katrina- I'm sorry you are so uncomfortable. If the pain is from the gas used for laparoscopy in the abdominal cavity, there isn't much more you can do beyond what is mentioned here.

Walk, take your pain medicines, change position often, try heating pads… If anyone has found anything that works better, I'd love to hear it, too.

If the gas is actually in the GI tract, then chewing gum, drinking tea and again, walking will help.

If it doesn't seem like either of those things, you may need to call the doctor.

It will get better.

Hub Author

Helianthus 14 months ago

I have had a terrible time with post-surgical gas in the past, so this time, anticipating a radical nephrectomy, I went on 3 days of clear liquid diet, followed by magnesium citrate, in hopes that getting intestines cleared of food residues would make the pain less. If it made it any less painful, I'd hate to know how bad it would have been without the prep. The gas pain was awful, and I was following all the advice you give above. I am now 2 weeks post op and still dealing with gas pain. Any advice for now, or for any future surgeries?

TahoeDoc 14 months ago from Lake Tahoe, California

That is quite a long time to suffer with gas pain. I'm sorry for what you are going through.

I don't have a lot more to offer, unfortunately. In the future, make sure you mention it. It is more likely due to pain medication or ?? now two weeks out, than directly a result of the anesthesia, but for immediate postop help, they can potentially alter the anesthesia a little. Nothing is guaranteed to make a big difference, but they may have some ideas on how to help knowing your history.

The bowels really get 'stunned' during abdominal surgery and can take a long time to recovery. If they are further slowed by anesthesia (in the early post op period) or pain medications (in the later recovery time), then it really can be a problem, along with constipation.

I'm sorry I can't offer more help, except to do the obvious- avoid foods known to cause more fast (broccoli, etc), and keep trying to do things that could potentially help.

Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon.

Hub Author

Carol Light String! 12 months ago

I found a hot water bottle worked as it expanded the gas and help to relieve it, I also had an enema which relieved me of some of the gas.

Funom Makama 3 11 months ago from Europe

Wow! This is so unique, lovely and well explained. I really appreciate your work and I hope to learn more from you. By the way, I want to specialize in surgery.

TahoeDoc 11 months ago from Lake Tahoe, California

Thank you very much! and good luck to you.

Hub Author

jordan 11 months ago

i had surgery a week ans half ago i am having terrible gas pain i have had this for4 days! i have tried.everyhing nothing is working! help!

TahoeDoc 11 months ago from Lake Tahoe, California

Sorry Jordan- sounds miserable. After a week and a half, there might be some slowing or constipation from pain meds and so on. Try drinking lots of Water and tea and perhaps take a stool softener if you aren't already. Use warm heating pads and lots of walking. I know, I'm not saying anything new, but it's usually a matter of time. If you actually have an obstruction and haven't had a bowel movement, you need to let your doctor know.

Hope you get better.

Hub Author

Sandy R 10 months ago

The one thing I wasn't looking forward to was the gas pressure. I had surgery to remove my gallbladder 24 hours ago and couldn't sleep in bed last nite because of the pain. Will try using the heating pad once I find it.

TahoeDoc 10 months ago from Lake Tahoe, California

Yep, even knowing it is a temporary discomfort doesn't help much...and it doesn't feel temporary when it's happening. Best wishes.

Hub Author

jashusic 10 months ago

My mom had a rectal surgery last year and she has a a lot of pain now from abdominal gas. Anything she eats she vomits out.Any sugestions please.She has no strength to wal either.

TahoeDoc 10 months ago from Lake Tahoe, California

Your mom needs to see her surgeon. If this is chronic, he may have suggestions for her. If this is new, she may have an obstruction - either partial or total and needs to be treated by a medical doctor. Take her to the ER immediately if this is a new or worsened finding. Follow up with the surgeon if this has been an ongoing issue, he/she already knows about it and is already following it and it hasn't changed recently. If this is new or worsened in any way, again, go to the ER.

There is nothing I can offer here for a problem that occurs a year after surgery that may or may not be related. I'm sorry :( Hope she feels better soon.

Hub Author

Dee 9 months ago

Yep had surgery yesterday and have gas pain under my ribs and in my shoulder. Hot water bottle, light shoulder stretches and walking are helping a little. I just hope it doesn't go on for to long. Thanks for the explanation of why it occurs

Kayteelala 9 months ago

Had my gallbladder removed yesterday this blog has helped sooooo much omg pain!! Heat pad check, been walking the ward all day, panadol and water water water also if you feel the urge to burp,Do It!! It's helping me so much!! Also go to the toilet as often as you can squatting on the loo seems to get rid of some of the gas the other end :) good luck everyone

Oz 5 months ago

Thank you for the walking tip,I had my tubes tied a bit over 24 hrs ago and I have twin 19mnth old boys that have kept me active. My pain has subsided after I been up and about all day today. I would have never thought that walking would help, but I feel really good!

Joni 4 months ago

Just had my appendix out two days ago. Recovery seemed to be going well until tonight. I went to bed and started to feel pain in my upper back. It's getting worse as the night goes on. I called my surgeon and pissed her off just for calling. She said I shouldn't be having pain in my shoulders. My husband and I went on line and found out that this is very common due to the release of gas. It's comforting to know that I don't have to rush to the ER. It makes perfect sense! Why didn't anyone tell me this could happen? I wonder how many people end up in the ER for this! I will try tea and a heating pad.

Joni 4 months ago

I used a heating pad all night! What a lifesaver. Thank you so much for the tip. I instantly felt better as soon as the heating pad hit my back.

TahoeDoc 4 months ago from Lake Tahoe, California

Hi all! Sorry I haven't been able to get back here to read and comment as frequently as I used to.

I am so glad to hear that these tips helped most of you. That makes me so happy that I take the time to write, so thanks for the feedback and comments!

Hope everyone stays happy, healthy and surgery-free.

Hub Author

Tim 8 weeks ago

Quick question.

I had my gallbladder out using this method, and although I feel the trapped gas, its not painful, but what is odd, is when i sat up, the gas went from my stomach area to the groin area.

I can't find out if this is normal, or whether this is a sign that I might have a hernia or something, because i'm not entirely sure there are any available passages for the gas to spread to the groin

TahoeDoc 8 weeks ago from Lake Tahoe, California

Some people do say they can feel the gas moving around. Eventually, the gas is reabsorbed by the body. If you have signs or symptoms of a hernia, please do ask your surgeon to evaluate you.

Good luck, hope you feel better.

Hub Author

YesThatBridget 7 weeks ago

10 days after bowel surgery and I'm up in the middle of the night due to sharp pains under ribs and at left shoulder.....normal to have gas pain so long after surgery?

TahoeDoc 6 weeks ago via iphone from Lake Tahoe, California

Sorry I did not see this earlier. That's a long time out for acute post-surgical gas pain, but bowel surgery can have lots of reasons for pain. I hope you have or will call your doc if not resolved.

Hub Author

Linda Meeks 5 weeks ago

I had lapo done on my appendix 5 days ago last night and today I have had bad gas pains is that normal

TahoeDoc 5 weeks ago from Lake Tahoe, California

If the pain just started 5 days out, it is best to call your surgeon's office and get their recommendation. In the meantime, keep track of your symptoms such as what makes it better or worse, where you feel it most, and so on, whether you are going to the bathroom normally and so on. But, do give them a call.

Hub Author

Jessie 3 weeks ago

I had a lap with laser done a few days ago and the past couple of nights sleep has been nearly impossible. I underwent the same procedure a little over a year ago so I knew what to expect (forgot about the gas bubbles and those in my shoulders have dissipated) but I can't seem to get rid of the air trapped right under the left side of my ribcage. I'm not one to let surgery keep me down for long so I've been walking around regularly since the procedure and I've become attached to my heating pad (its my new best friend), but I can't take a deep breath to save my life. I haven't needed meds beyond the day the procedure was performed and I drink a ton of water as it is but would never have guessed about the tea (I'm steeping a mug as I write!). I thank you for taking thetime to dole out advice to those of us seeking relief, I'm grateful I'm not alone and that there is information to be found to help if not give an immediate "fix" to eliminate the discomfort and pain, to at least offer a light at the end of the tunnel.

TahoeDoc 3 weeks ago from Lake Tahoe, California

Thank you Jessie- that was nice of you to take the time to comment. I hope you feel better soon. You said it was hard to take a deep breath-- if you actually feel short of breath, or if you aren't better by morning, call the doc's office. That type of pain is usually gas, but sometimes can be related to blood clots or developing pneumonia or other things-again, more rarely, but still the surgeon's office might prefer that you call and let them know. Even if they have nothing to add, they might want to know. There may be a reason it's hurting there that is related to the surgery and they can give you a better idea

Hope you feel better soon! and thanks again.

Hub Author

Copyright © 2013 HubPagesInc. and respective owners. Other product and company namesshown maybe trademarks of their respective owners.

HubPages ® isa registered Service Markof HubPages, Inc.

Edited by DeezJeanz

Which clear Protein Drinks are the post sleevers enjoying? I bought regular shakes and just saw I'll need Clear Liquids for a while. Silly me but glad I caught it now.

I liked some of the flavors of GNC's Isopure Protein pre-op haven't tried them post-op yet but they are not that sweet and have 40gms of protein, I was going to try that later today

I went to the GNC store also to buy Protein Drink. The guy there was very knowledgable... He sold me "Super sport Cellucor" 30 grams of Protein with whey protein Isolate...Good luck

Which clear Protein Drinks are the post sleevers enjoying? I bought regular shakes and just saw I'll need Clear Liquids for a while. Silly me but glad I caught it now.

I am on clear liquids to until Monday!

I bought some protein liquid at pharmacy when I picked up my rx. I poured 2 oz of it in 2oz of Water. I also had ordered the Unjury chicken broth packets. I can only do half a packet at a time. Hubby and I went to gnc to pick up Isopure but they only sold it buy case at the one we stopped at. I didn't feel like going to the other gnc by that point.

Non protein drinking the heck out of water, propel grape, and herbal teas! I finally had sf Popsicle last night, and wondered why I waited so long!

Which clear Protein drinks are the post sleevers enjoying? I bought regular shakes and just saw I'll need clear liquids for a while. Silly me but glad I caught it now.

I did Isopure and New Whey Protein Shots mixed with Water. Still doing that to get my protein in...and I also did a lot of low sodium/fat free chicken broth

good luck...

Good luck to you both...jakecal and Sns...Cheers to thinner days ahead!

Today's the day! 11 surgery. So excited!

Happy Birthday gmanbat....Wishing you the best! I had a great surgery on Dec.3rd.. Now working on the successful part. :D

Greeting and best wishes to all December sleevers!

I am one of the hosts on this forum and I have a request.

December is my birthday, 65 this month.

Give me the gift of having a very successful surgery!

:) :) :)

I agree Raine, this site is full of wonderful information....Good luck to you on your surgery and Merry Christmas!

Hi sleevers!

I'm Raine. I just joined the site. I've been reading your posts for about a month. so helpful. My surgery is on 12/23 and I'm freaking happy and freaking out. :D I cannot believe I am here. So happy to be a December Sleever. I prayed for a Dec. date and got it.

I'm recovering well in the hospital! I'll get discharged tonight. I passed my barium leak test, and I'm tolerating Water well. Wooho!

So, better late than never, but I FINALLY got insurance approval at 2:30pm today. It took alot of phone calls to get insurance to push it through, but My surgery is scheduled at 3:30pm tomorrow. I am going to be one hungry girl tomorrow morning!! So far I have lost 11lbs on this pro-op diet and am expecting 1-2lbs more tomorrow due to my clear liquid diet today. I am so excited!!! Please wish me luck! Xoxo

Best luck and wishes for a speedy recovery!

Yay I like the idea of the December thread. My surgery date was December 19th

I am on clear liquids to until Monday! I bought some Protein liquid at pharmacy when I picked up my rx. I poured 2 oz of it in 2oz of Water. I also had ordered the Unjury chicken broth packets. I can only do half a packet at a time. Hubby and I went to GNC to pick up Isopure but they only sold it buy case at the one we stopped at. I didn't feel like going to the other gnc by that point. Non protein drinking the heck out of water, propel grape, and herbal teas! I finally had sf Popsicle last night, and wondered why I waited so long!

I'm using syntax nectar, they have fruity flavors and sweet. Also it's a thin not thick which I like better. Roadside lemonaid and Twisted cherry are my favorite. I ordered a variety sample pack. Each pack has 23gm of protein. I also like the hot chocolate.