Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PP and getting back on track

Hey :) this is my first post so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

So my son is just barely 4mo and I'm sitting stagnant with my weight. I exclusively breastfeeding and find that when I eat the way my surgeon wants me to- I'm constantly eating and (feel) hungry. But getting away for the gym? Hahahahaha :( it's like my husband would rather me stay the way I am now (267) than lose any more (pre-op 335). I've had a crap ton of stress with this pregnancy and directly after. I also had to have an emerg c-sec. Sooo now that I've vomited my story... I need help. Tips, ideas... Anything. I want to lose more weight. My lowest with the band was the day before I found out I was pregnant and that was 249. I NEED to see that number again. It was the best I felt in so long. I just need to find a way to make things work again.

Thanks for anything y'all want to throw my way :)

Ok let's turn this into positives first...

#1 Congrats on the baby :) I too got pregnant with my third son while banded and I hope that this was a happy surprise

#2 Congrats on the great weight loss so far... 62 (with a high of 80ish) is outstanding and shows this will work for you

#3 Congrats on not gaining excessively with the pregnancy. I only gained 20 as well and breastfeeding helped knock that away shortly thereafter

#4 Welcome back. When I was ready to start losing again I threw myself back at the LBT community for a daily mental reminder that I'm committed to this and the support/ideas is what helped me along.

Now let's clarify...

1) Did you have to take any Fluid out when you got pregnant? If so, getting back to green will need to be a goal

2) What is your plan for breastfeeding..6 months, a year, 5 years <snicker. If you are sustaining yourself and baby, that will require more calories than normal. Give us an idea of how many cals you are eating? or what an average day of food looks like for you? This will help us tweek your diet by adding or subtracting calories where needed. Protein shakes may become a new best friend again if you are unable to eat large volumes in order to get sufficient and nutritious calories without eating too much or continuously.

3) Stress releases cortisol which is a nasty hormone that readily allows the body to store fat and makes it near impossible to burn it. Sounds like life got stressful there for a moment and just wanted to know if things have settled down any. If not, it'll be equally important to learn to balance and cope as to not allow stress to negatively thwart your goals.

4) Exercise.. I've had 3 c/sections and I just came out of cosm. surgery (including tummy tuck). So I know the word exercise is not the most appealing. However, perhaps somethign as simple as a mommy & me yoga or similar workout is just whats in order. It's more like playtime. If you find parenthood is draining you, you'd be amazed how daily exercise can reenergize you and create some bonding time w/ baby

food choices are probably the most critical part here. So developing a strong high Protein hungar-diverting menu is what's in order. Best part is, these are ideal food choices for a breastfeeding mom AND great intro foods for baby when he transitions into mushies and solids himself.

Staple foods: milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, meats (keep them moist, or use canned meats which are super low cal lunch alternatives), get quick and easy low at meats like turkey bacon and hot dogs to sub out all beef versions, oatmeal is great for a burst of carb energy laced with walnuts and dried fruit for a yummy protein rich flavor for Breakfast, eggs if you can manage it- try egg salad if not, be sure to get some veggies and fruit in there as well but go for high protein versions like brocolli and spinach or avocado and peaches. Proteins the key for keeping hunger at bay.

As for hubby...oh well...I have one of those too. He is also banded, however, that doesn't mean we are always on the same note. Just like the ol' days, when I was good on my diet he would not be. That just resulted in my sabotaging my own diet and kicking myself afterwards. As the weight dropped I became very protective of my new weight and to this day my wl is independent of my husband's diet and/or motivation levels. I know it's easier to have a partner etc, but in reality, this all lies on your shoulders. Sounds like a burden, but it's actually empowering to free yourself of other's behaviors, attitudes, ambivalence, etc etc. Trust me, a happy wife makes a happier husband..he just doesn't know it yet.

Best of luck hon. You can always email if you need more info/ideas

Hubby needs to be on board. he needs to know that this is super important to you and that you are not at the end of the road quite yet. If he isn't up to watching the baby when you go work out, do you have any other family or friends who would? Also some workout centers do start taking infants about that age.

Good luck to you!!