Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Type A and getting Lap Band in Nov

Hey All!

I am new to this community and getting banded in November. I am super excited but also a bit nervous. Of course it does not help that I have been spending a lot of time on the internet reading about lapband the good and the bad. So if you couldnt tell from the subject line, I have a bit of a type A personality. That being said, I was wondering what advice you have as I begin this journey. What stuff to get from the store, what to expect after surgery, and things like that. Any information you have for me would be wonderful! Also, I ma not telling a ton of people (like 6 total) and an a little anxious about that so I am pretty stoked to have found this online community where I can recieve and also offer support.

I start the pre opp diet next Tuesday!! Cannot beleive this is happening so quuickly but really glad it is :)

If you have made your decision , stay away from negative posts... I'm glad I had my surgery before all the negative stuff came on this board.. You will need some Clear Liquids, popsicles sugar free of course, heating pad for shoulder pain which you will have some ... liquid tylenol or whatever the Dr. recommends is helpful.. Protein Shakes after you get to that point...milk of mag or some type of laxative,, sometimes that becomes a problem.. keep asking questions of your Dr. and nutritionist.. make sure you follow their instructions.. Best of Luck and keep us posted...

If you have made your decision , stay away from negative posts... I'm glad I had my surgery before all the negative stuff came on this board.. You will need some clear liquids, popsicles sugar free of course, heating pad for shoulder pain which you will have some ... liquid tylenol or whatever the Dr. recommends is helpful.. Protein shakes after you get to that point...milk of mag or some type of laxative,, sometimes that becomes a problem.. keep asking questions of your Dr. and nutritionist.. make sure you follow their instructions.. Best of Luck and keep us posted...

I will!!! Thank you so much for the advice!!!

If it was that bad....the FDA would not approve it, and do a re-call.....

Good luck with your new journey. I was so different than 99% of the banders. I did not find this site until after the band. I never did any research. My lung doctor made my appointment and said you are getting this. I never asked any questions. I went to all the meetings and still do. I love my band!!

Sometimes asking too many questions and researching too much is worse than the actual process.

Make sure you have a Protein Shake you love!, not just like. I use Body Fortress chocolate, a little Decaf instant coffee, a little peppermint extract and tons of ice with 8 oz of milk. For milk right now I am using unsweetened vanilla almond. I have a small Hamilton Beach blender (under $20.) and it is also the drinking cup. So I put everything in then add the ice to fill the cup and blend until smooth and as thick as McDonald's. I have one for Breakfast every morning.

I just had a fill Friday and my doctor (every doctor is different) has me on liquids for 3 days, mushy for 3 days and then back to my regular diet. So I just had 3 days of 3-4 shakes a day for 3 days and it is not the end of the world. I made sweet and sour meatballs and right now I have meatballs in Tomato sauce cooking.

Ask any questions and we all try to answer truthfully.

Arlene

I didn't know about this site either before my band. I just looked at YouTube of videos on lap band and their journey. I tried to find out all the information I could but I didn't let the negative get to me. You will have negative things happen to you if you're overweight too.

I'm the most type A person you'll ever meet lol. No regrets. Just got cosmetic surgery to complete my journey. If you'd like some more insight, email me

My 'shopping list' was given to me at my clinic today and included:

Extra strength Gas-X or charcoal pills

Miralax

Protein shakes (I use Lean 25 from GNC)

Gummy or chewable Vitamins

Calcium chews (if you don't use milk in your shakes)

Heating Pad

Scar Cream (optional)

Biotin (optional for hair-loss)

sugar-free Popsicles

Your favorite warm beverage (helps with gas pain)

Enjoy the journey!

Hey All!

I am new to this community and getting banded in November. I am super excited but also a bit nervous. Of course it does not help that I have been spending a lot of time on the internet reading about lapband the good and the bad. So if you couldnt tell from the subject line, I have a bit of a type A personality. That being said, I was wondering what advice you have as I begin this journey. What stuff to get from the store, what to expect after surgery, and things like that. Any information you have for me would be wonderful! Also, I ma not telling a ton of people (like 6 total) and an a little anxious about that so I am pretty stoked to have found this online community where I can recieve and also offer support.

I start the pre opp diet next Tuesday!! Cannot beleive this is happening so quuickly but really glad it is :)

Hi! In addition to what others have already said, my surgeon's written order to me was to walk 5 times a day!

I did and am so glad I did. Even if it is a 1 minute walk at first, do it.

It was part of the structure for my day. I kept a log each of when I took meds, when I could take them again, when I actually took them again, and when I went for a walk.

Walking helps move and release the gas from your surgery. It will also help to keep up your stamina while you heal.

Like I said, even if your walk is ONE minute, DO it. 5 times a day. My first walk was about 3 minutes.

Soon I was walking 10 minutes at a time. Funny thing was that I kept increasing the distance I walked, but still got back home 10 minutes later! So I was walking faster and faster :)

I hope this helps you.

Oh, and it's an unwritten rule (I think it's unwritten) that you HAVE to come back here and post how you're doing after surgery!!! :) We'd love to hear from you.

~hiddn

This is all great advice and feedback. Thank you all so much!! Its getting close, yay!!