Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Plication: Hello, I'm New And I Come With Fears

Hey everyone

All those who are going the plication route: we are the new breed huh haha

I'm a NY gal who decided to do the band plication (lap band + plication). Since its so new there are so few resources online in comparison to all the other procedures

I figured I'd cut the lurking out and try to add to the body of knowledge for the next wave of fingernail nubbing rabid researchers out there who plan to do this too fwiw

I come fresh with worry and fears and the whole lot.

1 - Outside of the woman who birthed me, God bless her (love you mom) I'm not telling anyone about the procedure in my regular life. Now if I join my potential new doctor's support group then its alright + my online community .. I just. I'm not going to say a word. I wonder if anyone out there has done this and how did that work out

2 - So one of the pre-op testing is the Psych eval. I have no idea what to expect. I know it sounds silly but I'm afraid to say too much (like sound way too ready to do this, yesterday being too soon) or sound so needy that they say "how about no". Thank you college psych classes which have you thinking every things wrong with you. Couple that to I've spent so much time allowing the bubbly positive and sometimes plastic smile hide the pain that comes with being so overweight and feeling like a stranger in your own body

3 - Late last night I stumbled upon a NY Times article about a teen who had weight loss surgery but struggled with the rules afterwards. I understand the concern about a young person not being mentally prepared for a surgery like that but the vitriol against the weight loss surgery community and people who struggle with weight hit me hard core. I have never seen such hate and disgust.. like people think that much less of you and don't say it to your face

It made me feel really bad and took my desire to keep the surgery to myself due to being very private and not wanting to spark endless group conversations to

Christ I hope no one finds me out - time to research incredible skin care for tell tale signs.

the emotional tsunami of it all is just how much starting this process of pursuing a surgery for weight loss shoves your issues to the forefront. I guess logically I knew that but I didn't see it coming if that makes any sense..

Just a little stunned by it.. and I know this is the part where I only just see the tide coming in

I'm still in the very beginning stages of choosing and talking to surgeons and making sure my insurance will cover this

OH boy..

lol hope you guys don't mind my intro turning into a personal blog post

I look forward to getting to know you

x

I decided early on not to hide the fact that I had the surgery and I have been amazed by the support and concern from co-workers and friends. Most people have questions about the procedure and are very curious how it is going. I am glad I have not had to keep it to myself simply because there are times when I have been weak or tired and just needed a break and everyone has been so understanding. There are some that tell and others that don't I think whatever is comfortable for you is what you should do! Good luck to you and I hope it works out great! GiGi

hey!

I think that its awesome that you have a support system like that in place. I think ideally, this is best if you have it. For me though its a couple of factors plus how much I relish my privacy. Thanks for the well wishes GiGi!! :)

In regards to whether or not to tell others about your surgery or not, I only told my immediate family and one friend. However, I regret telling a couple of those people because now that my weight loss has come to a stand still after only about 45 lbs lost, I feel like they are watching me and judging me a failure because I'm not losing any more weight. My personal recommendation is to tell as few people as possible. But that's just me....

sorry to hear that fattophat :-/ thats exactly what I don't want. *sigh* I don't think I'll change my mind about keeping this private either..

WS-

Good luck on this journey. I didn't tell anyone with the exception of my husband. Since I eat healthier And go to gym no one has even questioned it. Like you I prefer my privacy but I also didn't want the questions, or people saying a took the easy way out. It's funny I think the bypass is easy pisy, but with the plication you really do have to work on loosing weight. The plication is your little helper ( a tool). I've lost 50 pounds since April and I couldn't be happier. I hate my trainer when am with him but I love what my body is changing to.

Research, and ask questions. This website is the reason I choose plication over sleeve and bypass.

Good-Luck!!

I also didnt tell anyone. Only my parents and one friend and I wouldnt have even told them except for the fact I needed an emergency contact in case I died on the table (: My parents werent very supportive about getting the surgery so I didnt need their judgement. I also like my privacy and I think it's worked out well for me. The weight loss is slow so most people wont really notice right away. Like others have said, you stil have to work out consistently to lose weight so they just think it's from hitting the gym hard and I just go along with it. My pysch eval was like those pre-employment tests you take when applying for a job. It's really nothing to worry about.

Only my husband and 3 family members know. Personally for me, it's no one else's business. I like my privacy and am social enough at telling things about me that do not have to do with this topic. It really is a personal choice. I have a very strong loving support system in the family that I have told. :) Best wishes!

Hi NY, I am from Buffalo,NY I will have not told many about it either, if some one ask then yes I will tell.

I was banded back in 2005 and have since had "slippage". I am getting the band replaced along with plication next month. I told everybody about my Lap-band and I sure wish that I had a "do over" about revealing that! Everyone watches what you eat. They will constantly ask you, "are you suppose to eat that". They will question why you couldn't lose weight on your own and not have to rely on an implemented device. They will ask why you haven't lost more weight than you have (even though you have lost "tons"). My opinion......only tell the people that you absolutly trust and love the most.