Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning Weight And Progress

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if you can share your beginning weight and your progress after plication.

Thanks!

Butterfly

I got plicated on 14 of this month and there could be nothing better, although its a little early to say so. I was 207lbs when I went in and today I am 197!(yeppie). I was really uncomfortable for the first 3 days due to pain in my abdominal muscles but now I am absolutely normal, nobody around me believes I actually had a major surgery;) all credit goes to my doctor. I currently take only vit-b and Protein supplement, and a pill to prevent gall stones; nothing else. I had constant gas for almost 5 days, no more now. I do feel hungry frequently, as we speculated earlier but feel full easily. I am normally able to take 200 ml at a go at a very slow pace. I have had no nausea so far but if I tend to overdo I develop slight pain in either upper or lower part of stomach for few mins. My doc said that plication have results compairable to sleeve and so many stories on this forum stamp that. I am not sure how long the restriction will be the same? I guess eating a little less than being just full should be the key. As far as the surgery goes its a wonderful experience so far.

Butterfly- I was 260 post-op and I am currently 225 (2months & 3 days later). I still have alot of restriction. For example I can only eat 1 egg for Brkfast and for lunch maybe 4 sushi rolls. I try to get in 2 Protein Shakes a day and on a really good day i even eat 4oz of cottage chz or a Greek ygrt. For dinner it's usually the second shake or a string cheese. I try not to eat much at night. Its taken me this long to realize when to stop eating and listen to my stomach. I still sip a bit of Water when I eat which you are not suppose to.

Hey kika79

I am in my earlier days and hell ya am not able to understand when I am full! Yesterday was Only 10 days since surgery and I could tolerate solids! I am confused, have I healed or have I lost my mind? Pertaining to the experiences of other plicators I thought I'll suffer nausea, vomitting or maybe intense pains, but nothing so far. This has made me apprehensive as to how long will I feel restricted. Any tips?

I am 11 days out from surgery. I started at 216 and weighed 200.5 this morning. I carry one 20 ounce bottle of Water with me all day and I have to finish it before 7 pm. That's MY rule. Otherwise, I won't get enough water. I have grits (4 tbs) for Breakfast, a container of yogurt for lunch, and a Protein Shake (Kellogg's 180 calories, 10 grams of protein) for dinner. I also bought sugar free Jolly Rancher candy that keeps me occupied if I'm bored. I will occasionally eat the broth from a can of chicken noodle Soup. I "swim" for exercise - really me just holding on to the steps and kicking. We have a hobby ranch so I'm always outside with the animals and I sweat ALOT here in south Texas. I have to remember to rehydrate.

I, too, though I would be nauseated but haven't been. I have only vomited twice - once right after surgery and once the other night when I had spicy chicken broth. I think what I'm thinking is stomach pain might be hunger pangs - I still haven't figured that out yet.

I think feeling restricted is what we all need, at least I do. I need a constant reminder to stop shoveling food in my mouth, even if it unpleasant. Actually, a shock with a cattle prod might be more productive for me!

Even I have those pains in my stomach, I know they are hunger pangs(every time I come across normal food I have this churning sensation in my tummy, hahaha). KC you've lost good enough! I've just lost 11lbs and have struck a plateau:( I m thinking about starting exercising, but I guess it's too early. As with food yes even I keep reminding myself to stop after a few bites, and I think 'hey that ain't enough for me!' but if I overdo I feel bad. It's an interesting process; my relationship with food is changing and This time it's effortless. Earlier I would feel deprived. Maybe, it's all in the head...

Hi gang...I'm just over 2 months out from surgery, and I am down 40 pounds! Down 2 sizes! Starting weight 230....now 189. I was told to expect to get down to 165 range, but I would really like to be 145-150...I am 5'9 and larger boned. I think that maybe I might be happy once I reach a loose size 10...we will see. I am also getting more comfortable with knowing my limits in food portions...I literally find myself stopping mid bite and realizing that i am full then i have to spit out that bite and quit. It is really hard to get use to. In the am I feel a tightness in my stomach which makes me feel like not eating! I have to force myself. Were any of you told that you need to really be religious about Protein, Water and exercise especially in the FIRST SIX MONTHS? I now wonder and wish i would have asked why only the first 6 months. Is it because your stomach stretches out or what? I plan on asking Dr ortiz at my mid year checkup. Also why did they tell me to no longer have protein shakes..I was told on plication talk by a member that it goes right thru you and that it doesn't fill you up. That is probably right. The shakes are so good to grab and run if you are in a hurry..I miss them.

Well we all know Proteins are defined as building blocks of matter and are responsible for muscle mass and strength etc. They don't provide energy but as we are on a very low calorie diet our systems are using fat as a source of energy and partlly muscle mass because it's in a draught mode and would hold back on fat for tougher times. Our system is assuming our diet as a no supply for now, we are on healthy and wholesome foods that too in a limited amount, they only provide essential nutrients but not energy which are derived only from carbs. And that's the whole idea for weight loss! Proteins in such conditions will provide strength so we don't lose muscle or it's conture and our body will keep using up fat for energy and would not go lax or deprived. My doc said that proteins are to be religiously taken no matter what, for not only weight loss BUT THROUGH OUT LIFE if we want a healthy and a strong stamina. And of course they keep us fuller for a long time. The first six months are important because our bodies are getting use to the sudden change in diet; the weight loss is drastic, we lose Water, fat, muscle ( because our diet is mainly liquid for at least 2 months). Hence, replenishing and vitalising is important. And what is well begun is half done, the first six months will layout our further prognosis. Thumbs up!

Even I am asked to get off Protein Shakes because they are not basically Proteins but also carry carbs. I am asked to take pure whey Protein (100% gold) one scoop with milk will be the same as a glass of shake on the go. Three scoops will accomplish the daily protein intake ie 60 gms. They are bit expensive, but I guess health is more important.

Hello everyone. I am scheduled for Plication Surgery on July 16th with Dr. Ponce. Part of the clinical trial. I am very nervous about the surgery after reading a lot of the issues that I have read here. I felt like Plication would be a great alternative to having my stomach removed but now I am afraid it is not going to last and I am not going to loose the weight I need to loose etc.

Can anyone give me an update? I called the office and asked if I could talk to someone who has had the surgery and ask them questions and see how they are doing. I am waiting for a call back.

We cannot really afford this surgery right now so it has to work. My legs are in horrible shape... I am pooling blood in my lower legs, they swell, they hurt. It is getting more and more difficult to move around.

I am very movivated to follow the pre-op and post op plan. I go on the protien shakes next Monday for 13 days then the one day of Clear liquids.

Any tips, information.. anything would be helpful.

GG

GG

It's perfectly normal to be scared and upset before going in for a surgery, and certainly normal when it's a clinical trial. Even I was scared. Minutes before my surgery I thought I am crazy and wished to run away. But it's a passing by phase. You don't have to be perplexed. When I'd read other people's experience on this forum, I was certain I'd end up with nausea, vomiting or maybe pains. But, fortunately I am to date untouched by these nuances. I have not only lost 11.5 lbs in 12 days but also have got the confidance that I can carry my low cal diet further without getting frustrated. And if even my or any other advice doesn't seem to put your mind at rest then surrender your worries to God and pray and your path will be illuminated, trust me this worked for me. BTW whats your weight and BMI and do you have varicose veins? If you suffer Constipation try natural laxatives. Maybe that will relieve the bleeding in your legs. All the best. God bless you.

Hi Pranjala,

Thank you for your reply. I do appreciate it. My Weight now is 295 and I am 5'8" tall and a large framed person. My BMI is 46. I have a few varicose veins but not many and this problem is rather new for me. I don't suffer from any Constipation. I do feel a little bit better today since I called Dr. Ponce's office and asked them to have someone who had already underwent the surgery a year or more ago to call me. Well she called me and she really had a surplus of information for me. She told me exactly how things went for her and it was mostly very good. I feel better. I am excited and want the date to get her soon so I can post about my progress as well. Congratulations on your weight loss so far. That is wonderful. And don't worry I always give my issues to God! Every day! Hearing your confidence is enlightening.

Thanks again and looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Quick question what is plication..... Because I'm getting the Gastric Sleeve...

Plication is where they suture the stomach smaller, sleeve is where they surgically cut it smaller. Google it or check out the OCC website: obesitycontrolcenter.com.