Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blueberry Muffin - Minimal Dumping

Okay, so I know it was not a wise, or healthy choice, but I just really wanted some carbs/sugar this morning. I ate the muffin from Dunkin Donuts - I think it had over 40grams of sugar in it.....I did have diarrhea twice within a few hours of eating it, but no other symptoms....is this dumping? I am bummed that I don't have really bad dumping with cramps, sweats, shakes etc....the awful thing is now I know I can eat sugar in moderation with little ill effects, so I will have to go back to "white knuckling it"....I really did myself a major dis-service today!!!

Okay so I guess my question is why are you feeling the need to sabotage yourself this soon after surgery? If you wanted carbs you could have gotten a doughnut hole or two? Or a Breakfast burrito with healthy toppings. Bad for you, but not full sized muffin bad. What difference does it make if you dump or not? You had this surgery to be healthy. I hate to be harsh but I get the impression your doing your best to push the limits. This isn't about what you can or cannot eat. It's about what you should or shouldn't eat. None of us are perfect (I had Cheetos today!!! OMG!!!! Heaven in a bag). Just because you can eat it doesn't mean you should. I may be wrong but I swear I remember you posting very soon post op about eating things you weren't supposed towns upset at that point because you didn't dump...the RNY does not reprogram your brain. YOU still have to make appropriate choices...a muffin will not be the death of you, however, I'm concerned about your choice to have the muffin at this point. If you try, You can eat around an RNY, just as you can eat around a band, but why would you do that on purpose? I am concerned for you that there us something deeper happening here. Please be careful.

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198

post-22442-13813813229535_thumb.jpg

I'm not crazy...you're doing the exact same thing again. BE CAREFUL!!!! This surgery is not magic, no one else can make you not eat the crap. YOU have to do this...whether it makes you sick or nit, you have to make the right choices. Please be careful.

You had Cheetos and muffins?! So there is hope that one day I will get to nibble on my old guilty pleasures? I haven't been able to eat hard things without it hurting so much! I bought Doritos today for the kids and considered having a nibble but the thought of the pain kept me away.

You had Cheetos and muffins?! So there is hope that one day I will get to nibble on my old guilty pleasures? I haven't been able to eat hard things without it hurting so much! I bought Doritos today for the kids and considered having a nibble but the thought of the pain kept me away.

I can eat anything that's not too high in carbs (I AM a dumper), so yes, I had 6 puffy Cheetos and they were the bomb. And it'll be another six months before I let another bag in my house!!!nothing causes me pain or discomfort unless I eat too fast or don't chew. So yes, there's hope!!!! And really, there's no reason to deny yourself a bite or two of something deliciously bad once in a while...I still want to be able to eat with my family and enjoy good food, just less of it. I don't want to be that girl that has to avoid everything for fear of binging.

I'm struggling with snacking too... sugar free Cookies and baked chips. I'm so scared of gaining the weight back and not meeting my goal. I have to keep the stuff out the house which is hard I buy it for my daughters lunch. Well i have to stay away from it. One day at a time.

I'm struggling with snacking too... sugar free Cookies and baked chips. I'm so scared of gaining the weight back and not meeting my goal. I have to keep the stuff out the house which is hard I buy it for my daughters lunch. Well i have to stay away from it. One day at a time.

sugar free Cookies are as bad for you as cookies w/sugar in them. Whenever they remove an ingredient they replace it w/something just as bad. If you really need to snack try something w/protein in it so you're getting SOMETHING out of it. Beanitos (like Tostitos) are tasty and I buy a snack from Faunce Corner Nutrtion that looks like Cheerios but comes in sour cream and onion flavor and has 12gr of Protein. Yummy! I keep then in my car for when I'm out and feeling the pull of my old bad habit of eating crap.

Have you considered getting healthier Snacks for your daughter? It would be better for her and you won't be tempted. There are a lot of tasty healthy options out there - healthy doesn't have to taste blah. One of my biggest regrets is exposing my daughters to my poor eating habits and bad food choices. I set a terrible example that they both followed. They struggle w/weight issues as adults now. You'd be doing your daughter and yourself a favor. :-)

There are good carbs you can eat instead of a DD muffin, you also need to be strong and not give into your cravings. The key and success to this surgery is YOU making healthy choices in food, portion sizes and most of all exercise.

Sorry to hear this is an issue for you. But you really do have to use some self control. And I am well aware that it is so much easier said than done! I have to remain aware at all time about what i put in my pouch..... I try to eat healthy but I choose wisely and good quality foods. But once in a while I will just crave something...and I know me...If I dont eat it then i'll nibble all around until i finally eat it anyway. I have learned to eat a single bite and walk away.

The surgery wasnt a "cure" just a tool. My brain has had way more changes to learn than my stomach! But everyday i start off with the mindset that I am not going to go backwards!

Hope you get things on the straight and narrow soon or you'll lose the "tool" to help yourself with!

I ate the muffin from Dunkin Donuts - I think it had over 40grams of sugar in it.....I did have diarrhea twice within a few hours of eating it, but no other symptoms....is this dumping? I am bummed that I don't have really bad dumping with cramps, sweats, shakes etc

I don't know if everyone has the same symptoms when it comes to "Dumping".

Even though I have not had my surgery yet I have had this happen to me twice i the last two years to me. Since I had my gall bladder removed.

I can't remember what I ate the first time but the second time I ate three DumDums over the course of a work day and forgot to eat anyting else. About six hours later I was driving home and the Earth shifted. As I got out of my car and went to walk up to my second floor apartment, the top of my head started to sweat and I could barely get my legs up to climb the stairs.

When I got to the kitchen I had a glass of milk and a few slices of lunch meat turkey and sat in a chair for a bit.

Because of the missing gall bladder I usually have loose stool if I eat too much or fatty things like pizza. But neither time did I have these issue.

I know a lot of folks will say my symptoms were hypogycemia but I have no sugar problems and go many times without eating much longer than that.

I agree with what the others say but also have a different point if view to share. I had RNY in 2005. I have now gained almost all my weight back. My weight gain didn't start till 4 years later when I started eating whatever I wanted. I can eat anything now and it took a very short time for me to get to that point. I still have dumping and had my gallbladder removed 11months after RNY. FYI my god awful gallstone attack was after eating one blueberry muffin. I am not one to tell you what to do since I messed up but I would be concerned if you are already doing this so soon after surgery.

I agree with what the others say but also have a different point if view to share. I had RNY in 2005. I have now gained almost all my weight back. My weight gain didn't start till 4 years later when I started eating whatever I wanted. I can eat anything now and it took a very short time for me to get to that point. I still have dumping and had my gallbladder removed 11months after RNY. FYI my god awful gallstone attack was after eating one blueberry muffin. I am not one to tell you what to do since I messed up but I would be concerned if you are already doing this so soon after surgery.