Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last minute switch from Sleeve to Bypass!

Thanks for all of the comments and advice! It has been very helpful, and I have learned so much in the past (even) few days, that I am now not only comfortable with the swtich in plans, but very much looking forward to it. I had been "spooked" about doing the RNY in the past, thinking the worst of the malabsorbtion issue... now I have come to welcome malabsorbtion as a great aid in this journey and have learned to understand why it is important and even more desirable. The reason for the change in plans for me was that my pre-op upper endo revealed a touch of Barrett's, and to a lesser extent that I am a type II diabetic (although well controlled). The RNY would cure/elimnate gerd/acid reflux... which aggravates the Barrett's. This is the main reason for the switch, with no more acid reflux, the Barretts will not progress. As a nice bonus, my diabtetes may be eliminated once and for all as well... or at least made even easier to control. The sleeve, although a great procedure for the wieght loss/general health improvement tool... would not eliminate that reflux for me, in fact it may have increased it.

SO.. a no brainer. I just needed to become comfortable with the idea of RNY, after preparing for the sleeve for the past 9 months! This place, and you good people have helped me to do that!! Friday is go time! Thanks again to everyone!

BroJo just want to wish you the best come Friday and onward to a new you. Just keep all of us posted how you are doing, or any questions you might have. We all are here to help/support you. Speedy recovery being sent your way.

Thanks for all of the comments and advice! It has been very helpful, and I have learned so much in the past (even) few days, that I am now not only comfortable with the swtich in plans, but very much looking forward to it. I had been "spooked" about doing the RNY in the past, thinking the worst of the malabsorbtion issue... now I have come to welcome malabsorbtion as a great aid in this journey and have learned to understand why it is important and even more desirable. The reason for the change in plans for me was that my pre-op upper endo revealed a touch of Barrett's, and to a lesser extent that I am a type II diabetic (although well controlled). The RNY would cure/elimnate gerd/acid reflux... which aggravates the Barrett's. This is the main reason for the switch, with no more acid reflux, the Barretts will not progress. As a nice bonus, my diabtetes may be eliminated once and for all as well... or at least made even easier to control. The sleeve, although a great procedure for the wieght loss/general health improvement tool... would not eliminate that reflux for me, in fact it may have increased it.

SO.. a no brainer. I just needed to become comfortable with the idea of RNY, after preparing for the sleeve for the past 9 months! This place, and you good people have helped me to do that!! Friday is go time! Thanks again to everyone!

Best wishes on your new journey brojo...after going through band, sleeve and now RNY, I can say this is "the one"....congratulations and good luck on your upcoming surgery and welcome to the losers bench!!

I just got a call from my surgeon with the results of my endo (last of my requirements). I was so happy that I had a message thinking that they were calling to schedule. Nope it was to tell me that I had Barrett's and they would not do a sleeve. I had to choose bypass or band. I was shocked be because any occasional heartburn I have ever rarely had was taken care of with one Tums. I really didn't think I had a problem. Now I am scurrying to get info on the procedure like I previously did with the sleeve. I was so prepared and now I am anxious. Time to hit the books. Good luck with your procedure.

I just got a call from my surgeon with the results of my endo (last of my requirements). I was so happy that I had a message thinking that they were calling to schedule. Nope it was to tell me that I had Barrett's and they would not do a sleeve. I had to choose bypass or band. I was shocked be because any occasional heartburn I have ever rarely had was taken care of with one Tums. I really didn't think I had a problem. Now I am scurrying to get info on the procedure like I previously did with the sleeve. I was so prepared and now I am anxious. Time to hit the books. Good luck with your procedure.

Oh lord don't do a band with reflux!!! I can't believe they'd even offer it as an option!

Dont do band or sleeve with reflux, i had both and it perpetuated the reflux and heartburn...im surprised they offered you the band too.....

Done deal! Had surgery this morning , all went well... Have been sleeping on and off all day (which is actually a treat or me). No nausea to speak of... Pain earlier on, morphine was not very effective... But of all things- Tylenol did he trick !

Switched to Tordol late this afternoon, and feeling good. Of course i have mot tried getting up yet, so we will see if that holds true when I got for a walk about an hour from now.

Overall... Better than I expected to feel so early on, I hope it keeps up this way!

Thanks again all for your good words and advice!

Congrats BroJoe and welcome to the losers bench...!!!

Done deal! Had surgery this morning ' date=' all went well... Have been sleeping on and off all day (which is actually a treat or me). No nausea to speak of... Pain earlier on, morphine was not very effective... But of all things- Tylenol did he trick !

Switched to Tordol late this afternoon, and feeling good. Of course i have mot tried getting up yet, so we will see if that holds true when I got for a walk about an hour from now.

Overall... Better than I expected to feel so early on, I hope it keeps up this way!

Thanks again all for your good words and advice![/quote']

Congrats! Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Tscription, I really hope you do all research on the lapband. I'm really not one to say don't because that would make me want to even more, but really consider going on the forum band to Rny. Really listen {read} what these people are saying.....

Tscription' date=' I really hope you do all research on the lapband. I'm really not one to say don't because that would make want to even more, but really consider going on the forum band to Rny. Really listen {read} what these people are saying.....[/quote']

I really appreciate the advice. I was so shocked when the nurse called and relayed the message about the Barrett's. I spoke with the surgeon later and she said that her recommendation is RNY for me. She said she absolutely would not perform a sleeve in any patient with Barrett's. She would allow me to try a band if I was adamant against RNY because it could be reversed if the reflux worsened but that she expected it would worsen. I feel much more confident about my decision for the RNY. Thanks again for the advice. In this journey I feel knowledge is power.

I really appreciate the advice. I was so shocked when the nurse called and relayed the message about the Barrett's. I spoke with the surgeon later and she said that her recommendation is RNY for me. She said she absolutely would not perform a sleeve in any patient with Barrett's. She would allow me to try a band if I was adamant against RNY because it could be reversed if the reflux worsened but that she expected it would worsen. I feel much more confident about my decision for the RNY. Thanks again for the advice. In this journey I feel knowledge is power.

I had same problem & got rny 6weeks ago & no reflux issue's at all