Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last minute switch from Sleeve to Bypass!

I'm new here... Hello all! As stated in the subject, I was preparing for sleeve surgery scheduled for next week Friday. I have been advised by my surgeon to go with the Bypass... But it is still next week Friday!! I have a lot to learn in a few days! Any post op advice?...

Hi!

As a bypass girl myself I would say don't stock up on anything. Protein! Try everything first. Your taste will change. Get measuring cups. And be prepared to have mercy on yourself. The journey is hard but well worth it.

You found a great support here. Questions, concerns, or rants... Feel free.

I'm 13 months post op :)

I'm new here... Hello all! As stated in the subject, I was preparing for sleeve surgery scheduled for next week Friday. I have been advised by my surgeon to go with the Bypass... But it is still next week Friday!! I have a lot to learn in a few days! Any post op advice?...

I am a sleeve to bypass pt....wish I had dont bypass to start....congrats....buy some measuring cups, measuring spoons, and I bought a pkg of baby spoons so I would take small bites and it has really trained me on how much to put in my mouth, I also bought some small tupperware like containers...4 0z...to put egg salad, yogurt, pudding, cottage cheese, etc in....I also bought a little lunch tote that has a thing in it you freeze to keep foods cold, I cant believe how much I use it!! I put a few staples in there if I go anywhere longer than a couple hrs..good luck hope it helps....

You will have some similar protocols as I have seen in many posts. Check with your surgeon or the dietitian associated with your surgical team. Your surgeon can only suggest what you can eat. You have to be diligent.

Your surgeon cannot be with you 24/7 but you should have access to him or one representative on call.

You may want to have something but just because you can don't. I am five and a half years out. Some things that I have done besides many trips with my grandchildren are trips to foreign countries. I was away for five weeks in 2010.

Good luck next Friday.

Thanks for all of the advice! I'm sure I will be back asking for some more after the deal is done (a week from today!). It's great to have a place to ask questions and have good people willing to share their experience... Thanks again!

Hi BroJoe,

Are you disappointed by the news. I guess it is best that they found out now before you would have gone under. If you want to be healthy and get on with your life, you can't go wrong with the surgery.

I have a similar story. Since I currently take meds for Gerd, the PA is telling me that I am not a canidate for the sleeve. I was crushed a few days ago. Now, I am trying to deal with it.

I have so many questions about the RNY and the problems or issues I may have in dealing with it. I have heard things about it along with the things some people are saying on the other boards. I will barely qualify because of my BMI, I have co-morbilities issuses that make it possible. I am just dazed right now.

Congrats on your surgery date. You will win in the end.

I'm new here... Hello all! As stated in the subject' date=' I was preparing for sleeve surgery scheduled for next week Friday. I have been advised by my surgeon to go with the Bypass... But it is still next week Friday!! I have a lot to learn in a few days! Any post op advice?...[/quote']

I had to choose between the two surgeries and I was an Internet junkie before surgery. Basically addicted to learning as much as I could. Even my surgeon and nut were impressed by my research. Surf the net and you will find some great info. I also have the book "weightloss surgery for dummies" and it was helpful. Best of luck to you!

Good luck & I guess it's up to the individual to make which ever surgery work for them but for long lasting results & of course it's more work for us it's going with the RNY.

I had to choose between the two surgeries and I was an Internet junkie before surgery. Basically addicted to learning as much as I could. Even my surgeon and nut were impressed by my research. Surf the net and you will find some great info. I also have the book "weightloss surgery for dummies" and it was helpful. Best of luck to you!

I too reached out and bought "weightloss surgery for dummies" and feel is was very helpful, but didn't buy it before I had lapband, big mistake. I would recommend this for anyone who is having any type of weight loss surgery. And as you, I did lots, lots and lots of research so I wouldn't make the same mistake as I did with the band.

BroJoe, good luck with your research! It will sure help with a lot of your questions. I had my lapband out 6 weeks ago and I too, will face the decision of self pay sleeve, or insurance covered RNY. 4 years ago I had a lapband because I talked myself out of the RNY. So sorry I did that! My son had the sleeve and has been a poster child patient.....I find myself in your shoes, doing research!!

I was also a last-minute switch from sleeve to bypass and I am very glad with my decision. I chose gastric bypass due to my surgeon's advice regarding how gastric bypass would be more effective for me long-term and for dealing with my love of baked goods. My understanding, however, is that regardless of surgical technique chosen, the long-term actions and behaviors are the same. We have to change our habits. The surgical technique helps us change our habits. I have no regrets and remain grateful for my surgeon's advice. I can only advise following your surgeon's advice regarding which surgical technique to use.

Yes! I feel like I wasted 4 years of my life fighting my lapband and right now with no restriction it goes against EVERYTHING I've learned. Just really scary! I too am looking into the RNY because I feel it would be the better choice. We will see....

I'm a band to RNY and I trully loved my band, never had a problem just got po'd at the clinic I was using so switched doctors and just in the nick of time. I was going to follow up with band with the new doctor but he decided he needed to fluoroscope it and see where we were at with it since the other clinic never had in the three years I had the band. Discovered it had slipped and he thought it might be erroded. It hadn't erroded yet, but it had to come out on an emergent basis. So when the doctor and I discussed where to go from there he gave me the options of sleeve or RNY. I turned the table back to him and asked which he would recommend for me. He basically said since I was a type II diabetic that RNY would be the best as it shows over 90% remission for RNY patients. Sleeve doesn't give that good of results as you can still eat sugars and fats. The sleeve also has a faster weightloss than RNY but RNY is just a slower weight loss over a longer period of time. Also I am not too fond of having 2/3's of my stomach put into a hazardous waste bag whereas RNY if it needs to be revised it can be. I also based my decision on which had the most research available and of course RNY does because it has been around the longest and since the band is the next oldest and it is nowing showing a high failure rate I was afraid of the sleeve as it is the newest and not enough research coming in yet.

Thanks for all of the comments and advice! It has been very helpful, and I have learned so much in the past (even) few days, that I am now not only comfortable with the swtich in plans, but very much looking forward to it. I had been "spooked" about doing the RNY in the past, thinking the worst of the malabsorbtion issue... now I have come to welcome malabsorbtion as a great aid in this journey and have learned to understand why it is important and even more desirable. The reason for the change in plans for me was that my pre-op upper endo revealed a touch of Barrett's, and to a lesser extent that I am a type II diabetic (although well controlled). The RNY would cure/elimnate gerd/acid reflux... which aggravates the Barrett's. This is the main reason for the switch, with no more acid reflux, the Barretts will not progress. As a nice bonus, my diabtetes may be eliminated once and for all as well... or at least made even easier to control. The sleeve, although a great procedure for the wieght loss/general health improvement tool... would not eliminate that reflux for me, in fact it may have increased it.

SO.. a no brainer. I just needed to become comfortable with the idea of RNY, after preparing for the sleeve for the past 9 months! This place, and you good people have helped me to do that!! Friday is go time! Thanks again to everyone!

Thanks for all of the comments and advice! It has been very helpful' date=' and I have learned so much in the past (even) few days, that I am now not only comfortable with the swtich in plans, but very much looking forward to it. I had been "spooked" about doing the RNY in the past, thinking the worst of the malabsorbtion issue... now I have come to welcome malabsorbtion as a great aid in this journey and have learned to understand why it is important and even more desirable. The reason for the change in plans for me was that my pre-op upper endo revealed a touch of Barrett's, and to a lesser extent that I am a type II diabetic (although well controlled). The RNY would cure/elimnate gerd/acid reflux... which aggravates the Barrett's. This is the main reason for the switch, with no more acid reflux, the Barretts will not progress. As a nice bonus, my diabtetes may be eliminated once and for all as well... or at least made even easier to control. The sleeve, although a great procedure for the wieght loss/general health improvement tool... would not eliminate that reflux for me, in fact it may have increased it.

SO.. a no brainer. I just needed to become comfortable with the idea of RNY, after preparing for the sleeve for the past 9 months! This place, and you good people have helped me to do that!! Friday is go time! Thanks again to everyone![/quote']

I was in your s hoes 5wks ago &love the rny /bypass no more reflux thankful everyday ...