Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op paranoia and questions

Hello Everyone,

I had my gastric bypass surgery 8/7/13 and I've been doing fine but I have a few questions.

1. I was hardly able to eat a thing right after surgery. Now I can eat at least double or triple what I could after surgery. Should my ability to eat have increased this much already? I feel like I stretched it out already or something lol. Yes I know that's paranoid but I'm still stressing over it.

2. Nothing seems to really bother me to eat so far, I have been lucky.....or not lucky depending on how you look at it. What is the real deal on fruit? I see so much conflicting information about it. I had some watermelon 2 days ago and it was soooo good. I immediately felt tired and took a nap. If I get dumping, I haven't experienced it yet and I hope not to. I am thinking it might have been a sugar crash though. Does anyone know how much fruit I can eat?

3. I am so freaking tired still that it's really annoying. I am napping every day and when I try doing things I get really really wiped out. How long should that last? I feel good except for that and it's certainly not a pain issue anymore. My primary doctor said it takes 3 months for my body to adjust to the changes from the surgery. I don't have that kind of time to get my energy back lol. I have none and it's making me crazy :(

I think you dump, but it looks like delayed dumping or what you call sugar crash...Signs and symptoms can develop later. This is due to the dumping of large amount of sugars into the small intestine (hyperglycemia). In response, the body releases large amounts of insulin to absorb the sugars, leading to low levels of sugar in the body (hypoglycemia) this can cause tiredness, lightheadedness, rapid heart rate, fainting... The sugary fruits almost certainly will make people dump due to high Sucralose content. Other symptoms like sweating and confusion can occur as well.

Speaking of stretched stomach, it s supposed to allow you little more than right after the surgery... how much really are you able to eat at one sitting? More than one and a half of a cup? And what is the food you are eating... Soups and some other things just go through as liquids...

I'd say my limit is 6oz but that's definitely approximate. I guess I'm not sure how much I should be eating by now but no, it's definitely not a cup and a half. I can however drink an 8oz Protein shake in about 10 mins.

People describe dumping as pretty awful and I haven't experienced anything really unpleasant at all. Don't get me wrong, I dont want to dump lol. I'm just trying to feel my way through all this and figure out what I can and cant eat. I've been light headed for what seems like ages now and definitely since the surgery. I'm not sure what that is about but my doc said it takes the body about 3 months to adjust to what it's been through.

I'd say my limit is 6oz but that's definitely approximate. I guess I'm not sure how much I should be eating by now but no' date=' it's definitely not a cup and a half. I can however drink an 8oz Protein shake in about 10 mins.

People describe dumping as pretty awful and I haven't experienced anything really unpleasant at all. Don't get me wrong, I dont want to dump lol. I'm just trying to feel my way through all this and figure out what I can and cant eat. I've been light headed for what seems like ages now and definitely since the surgery. I'm not sure what that is about but my doc said it takes the body about 3 months to adjust to what it's been through.[/quote']

When you dump you'll know it. It happened on two ounces of watermelon for me. I'd strongly suggest weighing or measuring your food and keeping a food log. It helps you know how much you are truly taking in and patterns and such.

Hi Lisalisalisa! I had the same surgery date. I definitely am feeling the same symptoms you are. I can eat about 3/4 of a cup now but I usually don't because I find I just naturally reject most things. I'm trying to take in @ least 60g of Protein but if I have anymore calories than 500, it's really hard for me to take any more food or even a shake in. I had my first dumping today. I ate. Whole debreziner sausage and I dumped massively about 3 hrs later. I figured I ate it too fast or it was too high in fat. I've only lost 10pds since surgery. I think I'm on a stall for this past week cause I haven't lost anything since the 21st. Keep me posted on all your updates! Btw, I had a peach a few days ago, it was fine.

I've eaten strawberries with no problem. The doctor said I'm in a stall because I am not eating enough so I have increased to 3 shakes a day and some type of food for the other thing that around 200 calories. It's the best I can do for now.

I am having the same issues, and can eat a good bit (I.e. A whole Peanut Butter sandwich). I'm full for a couple of hours, then an ready to eat again! I have lost about 40 pounds, but only 20 post surgery.

I dump rather routinely, but eating too quickly most likely allows more food, and potential for dumping. Primarily a problem when I am at home, then I just shut my eyes and lay down until the nausea and dizziness are gone!

I routinely wonder if I have stretched mine out as well...

Surg date: 8/26/13; SW 257; Current weight: 217

I want to follow this message, because I am having some of the same concerns with energy level.

I have a terrible pain in my left back for 2-weeks now. It feels like a back-ache and it is super annoying. On Monday I will be 4-weeks post-op, from a Lap-band to RNY revision on Sept 16, 2013.

I never expected the amount of pain during recovery from the RNY. I think if you are having back pain you should put a call in to your surgeon.

My surgeon swore that my lower abdomen pain was not related to surgery, but changed his opinion on my next follow up. So who knows, but my primary care doc and I were positive that it was related, and relieved that it resolved itself.

The most important part is that you remain aware and follow up with anything that does not feel right. I'm taking Multivitamins, B-12, and Calcium and have not had any problems energy related.

Surg date: 8/26/13

The back pain is finally subsiding. I am 4-weeks and 3-days post op. Still have a bit of a twinge, but at least it is getting tolerable.