Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

after hitting goal...

How long after reaching goal would you take the band out?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How long after reaching goal would you take the band out?

• Never!
    • As soon as I reach goal I am making a appt. to get it out of me
    • Wait a few years after reaching goal before taking it out
    • Mixed feelings

I want to know how it reacts if, God forbid, you ever need diphibulation.

That certainly will introduce a lot of voltage into the body, I would think best case it would burn the system out causing the need for a replacement (should you survive the heart issue). Worse, what if it causes the band to contract dramatically and then burn out... OUCH!

hmm... Saline sounds good for now.

Maintaining weight loss is almost as hard as losing it in the first place. This is a tool for life.

I would only have it removed it it was medically necessary or they had a really cool upgrade.

I also would fight anyone trying to take my band. I say over and over "if I never lose another pound, it's been worth it". Just the fact that I can't eat in the sheer quantities that I used to.

Sure, I get tired of it...I want to eat a hamburger and all the fixin's but just can't....or whatever.

But everyday I'm so incredibly thankful for the small measure of control it puts into my world.

Like others said...barring any complications, it's here to stay! In fact this is my main tool for maintaining. I think the moment the band came off I'd be RIGHT back to my old ways.....

I am having the telemetric easyband fitted 11th March.

I had the gastric balloon fitted november 2005 and was doing really well with the weight loss. Had about 20 lbs to lose. The balloon [bib] can only stay in for 6 months and so it had to come out March 2006. I have now regained about 18 lbs and still gaining.

That is why I wanted something permanent. Can't imagine ever wanting it taken out once the band is in place and I have lost the weight hopefully for good.

Before I got banded, I didn't think much about the long term. I figured I'd lose the weight, then after I was finally acustomed to living (and eating) like a "normal" person, I'd probably have it removed. Why have it in there if you don't need it anymore, right?

But I had a chat with my doc last month and it changed my mind. He said that it's virtually inevitable that you will gain weight if you have the band removed. That's not to say that you'll ever be obese again, but as doc said "the biological mechanisms that control hunger and satiety are complex and little understood even to this day." It sounded very wise and profound coming from him, LOL.

I'd sure love to see some stats on this, but I think the man's right. There are all sorts of hormones and nerve signals and unconcious urges going on inside our bodies. The band helps suppress those urges, but doesn't eliminate them. And when you get the band removed, all that stuff comes creeping back, so slowly you may not even notice it. A year later, you've gained ten pounds and hardly realized it. Then the next year another ten, then another ten, and another ten. After a while, you find yourself back in those black stretch pants, wondering what happened.

Personally, I'm not willing to risk it. A few months before I was banded, I was shocked to "discover" I'd gained over 120 pounds in the previous five years. As God is my witness, I'll never be surprised like that again. I'm keeping my band, unless and until modern medicine comes up with something even better.

I LIVE IN ENGLAND AND HAVE BEEN BANDED 5 WEEKS, I ASKED IF I COULD HAVE THE NEW REMOTE CONTROL BAND BUT WAS TOLD AS MY B.M.I WAS UNDER 50 IT WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE:cry I HAVN,T HAD A FILL YET SO DON,T KNOW HOW I WILL FEEL IN THE LONG RUN ALTHOUGH I,M PRETTY SCARED ABOUT WHAT I WILL BE ABLE TO EAT AND HOW I WILL COPE:omg: SO DON,T KNOW WETHER I WOULD WANT IT OUT OR NOT.

My doctor made sure I realized.. before I had surgery.. the band is meant to be permanent. He said if you have it removed, you'll just gain it back. And I know that's true for my situation.. If I could control my weight, I would have by now!

I had no problem agreeing to that, and unless there's something wrong (erosion, etc.) I won't be removing it ever!

They can remove my band from my cold, dead body.

And really, one doesn't get a replaced hip removed...it's a medical device in my body to help me deal with a medical issue that I can't overcome otherwise.

Okay the hip is not a good analogy. Glasses maybe or corrective lenses. I can do well with them but take them off and my vision is blurry. I need them to see. I expect I'll always need my band to help me get hunger signals etc.

And I didn't get my eyes cut nor my stomach...but both are better for the use the tool.