Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The doctor recommends...

Well, I found out today that the one was a failed band and the other could not break her addiction to sodas.

It is amazing how people can become addicted to something and not be able to break it for their own good. I have not touched a soda in two days (I know it's only two days but it is a start and you need to start somewhere). I am starting on my new beginning so here we go!

Woohoo!!!! So happy for you :). After my crappy banded life I think the entire universe should have RNY :D

HW 312' date=' pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 202.4[/quote']

Im with you!! I had the band for five years and pure misery for the last three. My conversion was a blessing!!

Well, I found out today that the one was a failed band and the other could not break her addiction to sodas.

It is amazing how people can become addicted to something and not be able to break it for their own good. I have not touched a soda in two days (I know it's only two days but it is a start and you need to start somewhere). I am starting on my new beginning so here we go!

I'm certainly not well informed on bands (and haven't put much effort into getting better informed). But it does seem like there are a lot of complications and something of a trend of doctors moving away from lap-band surgery. On the other hand I'm sure there are many success stories out there as well.

It is hard to understand how someone could be so addicted to sodas (i.e. sugar) that they would go through the whole bariatric surgery experience and then abandon their hopes and dreams in favor of soft drinks. Peel an onion and you find lots of layers.

I work with several failed RNY patients. None of them ever followed the diet. They still ate whatever they wanted. Really thought it was a magic bullet and they wouldn't have to put in any work. Blows my mind. I've worked for every pound...but it's worth it.

Brief version of banded life vs. RNY life: .same 2 week pre-op, same misery with that. Major surgery. Pain similar for both surgeries but did last a little longer with the RNY. Off pain meds except at bedtime by day 4 with both surgeries. Off all pain meds by 1 week for both procedures. I had my band on Wednesday, was tired but back at work on Monday. I had my RNY ON Monday, was off all week plus the following Monday/Tuesday, started part time on Wednesday, was back full time on Monday.

1 week post-op with the band I thought I was starving to death. Complete misery for 2-3 weeks until I could eat. With the RNY I just wasn't hungry for the first 6 weeks. I was tired for a while after both surgeries, with the RNY it was a bit more severe. Within 6 weeks with both I felt fine.

Other than occasional nausea and constant Constipation ice had no issues with my RNY.

About 3 months after getting my band, my allergies flared up....and I got sick as a dog. I'd have to sip hot tea for 3-4 hours to clear my band so I could eat or drink normal foods. Allergies calmed down, life moved on. 6 months into banded life, 4th of July weekend, out swimming in Arkansas heat all weekend. I start feeling 'stuck' with food so I quit eating and went to liquids....then cool liquids wouldn't pass....then warm liquids wouldn't pass...got so weak I could barely stand, shaky, dizzy, confused....laid on the couch in my office while one of my docs gave me 3 liters of IV fluids, had all the Fluid taken out of my band. Believe the problem was caused from dehydration but not sure. A month later start getting fills (tiny fills) I can tolerate a little but again, allergies, cold, stress, PMS, etc and I'm down to warm liquids again for days at a time. November...the boy child gives me a GI virus....it's over, can't get anything down at all, back in for a complete unfill, again.

It was never the same. I'd get a little back in my band and would be either throwing up or reflux ing out my nose at night. I could eat few fruits and vegetable and minimal meat. I tried to not just eat crap but there was a lot of crackers and cheese or Peanut Butter crackers during this time. I was not a bad band patient, I followed the rules fairly well. It was not for me.

In full drama form, last summer, with band empty, I started reflux ing out my nose at night. It was HORRID. I was living off liquids, them living off Clear Liquids, then living off hot tea with honey. I finally went back and said I can't do this any more. Had an upper GI that day and I'd had a band slip. Looking back, I think it initially slipped that first 4th of July weekend and progressed and progressed. In the end I had urgent surgery to removed prolapsed band which turned out to be starting to erode as well.

I was so ready to have that damn thing out! I estimate I was living off 500-600 calories for the last 3-4 months. I was exhausted. I had jaw and ear pain that never went away. I had chest pain at times. I woke up from removal surgery with complete resolution of the chest, jaw, and ear pain.

I can now, 1 year post removal and 6 months post RNY, eat anything in moderation, even carbs. I can handle corn, celery, apple skins....chicken, steak, roast, whatever! My energy s good, my pain is none. I feel better than I've felt in years :)

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 202.4

I had the band and it did not work well for me. I had horrible shoulder and neck pain for years due to the tubing hitting a nerve. As soon as it came out the pain was gone, so now I am having the bypass I am a little nervous hoping the pain doesn't come back:) good luck