Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need help losing some regained lbs!

I'm 6 yrs post op from rny. Weighed 285, got down to 137 for like a minute, plateaued at 147 for several years, bit now up to 157.....can't seem to drop anything.....HELP HELP HELP!!!!!$$$$#@@!@##@@#$!!!!!!****&*

Did you try going back to basics? Hope your stall breaks soon!

Stay away from carbs as mych ad possible. ..are you still taking Vitamins? ?? Remember Vitamin D helps promote weight loss ...up your Protein also..

Actually haven't been doing vits. Just recently started. Unsure if I should try ti count calories. I eat mostly Protein every effin meal.....so maybe restrict cals?

Consider starting a food log. My Fitness Pal is excellent but there are a number of apps and all essentially do the same thing. I like MFP because it has a very large food database and a bar code scanner which greatly simplifies entry.

Enter your settings for height, current weight, goal weight and the amount of weight you want to lose each weight. One pound a week loss would probably be a good starting point. MFP will calculate a daily calorie goal based on your settings. Now maintain your log for a week and see what happens. If you fail to lose a pound, configure MFP to lose a pound and a half. What you are doing is manipulating the app to reduce the calorie goal until you find the number that works for you. Now maintain your log for a week and see what happens. If you lose a pound, that calorie goal is your number.

It's very important to remember that your calorie goal is an AVERAGE. No one is going to hit X number of calories every single day and who would want to? Boring, unrealistic and not sustainable. There will be days when you exceed your goal and it's important to enjoy those days. All you have to do is reduce your calorie goal by 100 to 200 calories for a day or so and you're right back to your AVERAGE.

Food logs are the most powerful tool that you can have in your arsenal. They give you confidence, control and accountability like no other option I'm aware of. You'll be back at 137 before you know it and if you continue logging, you'll stay there!!

Yeah, I love mfp. Been strict for 3 weeks now and not really budging. Perhaps I am eating too little cals? In ur opinion, what ratio of fat, carbs and Protein would be ideal? And how many cals? At 5'5, 157 lbs, it suggest ni less than 1200, but Ive been doing 1000, but with excercise, it allows me to eat a little more as u kno I'm assuming.

I have used 40%/30%/30%, protein/fat/carbs since my surgery and up to the present. I check the percentages daily to give me an idea of anything I need to increase or decrease the following day. I also check it weekly which I think is the more important information. Seems like you never hit it right on the button but I'm usually pretty close. Last weeks numbers for example were 37%/35%/28%.

My starting weight was 285 and my weight stabilized thirteen months later at 155. It's been steady at 155 plus or minus a couple of pounds for the last eight months. I have MFP configured with a daily calorie goal of 1620. I've had 2000 calorie days and 1000 calorie days and both are fine as long as I maintain the 1620 average.

I don't know if you're familiar with set-points but at 1000 calories a day, I suspect that the reason you haven't started losing yet is because your body is doing everything it can to maintain your current weight. Set-points usually have a range of about 10% of body weight. So at 157, the range of your set-points would be about 15 pounds. You may be at the lower end of the current set-point that you are in. Which is a long-winded way of saying that your body is defending the set-point. It's trying to maintain your current weight by reducing metabolism and heart rate, increasing hunger, and using a complex set of hormones and chemicals - all working to maintain your current weight. Your body's negative response to weight loss (and reducing the existing set-point) is quite strong, to weight gain (and increasing the current set-point) comparatively weak. Set-points are the underlying basis for what is often referred to as your body going into "famine" or "starvation" mode.

So the key is to be patient. There is absolutely no doubt that maintaining a daily calorie intake of 1000 calories will, over time, result in weight loss. You might jump start your weight loss by increasing your calorie intake to say 1200 for a few days. Or you can just stay the course with the 1000 calories knowing that sooner or later, you will start losing weight. The good news is that once you start losing, it will likely drop fairly quickly until you reach the next set point which should be pretty close to your goal. The bad news is that you will need to maintain that goal weight for about six months in order to establish the new, lower set point.

Hope this helps and please keep us posted on your progress!!

Wow! Thanks a bunch. That's pretty helpful...I was feeling like I was doing stuff sooooo wrong bc my carbs, fat and Protein were about the same, w protein being just a lil more than the others. Feel a lil better now. I have allowed one cheat day a week, but didn't go waaaay over. Like weeks cheat day was around 1500 cals vs 1000.