Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have not had surgery yet...I actually just had my first consultation this morning. I'm just wondering if everyone who has had(or will have) gastric bypass has told their friends and family? And do you regret the decision you made about telling or not telling? Has anyone you've told been unsupportive?

I have not had surgery yet...I actually just had my first consultation this morning. I'm just wondering if everyone who has had(or will have) gastric bypass has told their friends and family? And do you regret the decision you made about telling or not telling? Has anyone you've told been unsupportive?

I was told I needed a support system both at home and at work. So I told my husband and daughters at home. I told my manager and supervisor and one coworker at work. I told no one else.

My daughter accidentally spilled the Beans to my mother in law, who has a gift for appearing to be supportive while slapping you down at the same time. If you call her on it she somehow comes off looking innocent and you look mean and vindictive.

A busybody at work somehow found out what type of surgery I had while I was out and proceeded to blab to anyone with ears. I caught her telling people, gave her a piece of my mind, reported her to my manager, and filed a complaint with HR for invasion of privacy. But now everyone knows. Most people at work are discreet and respectful. I mainly didn't want the bigmouth to know because she is a terrible gossip - what she doesn't know, she makes up. She is the only downside to my job.

So now it's no secret but it is what it is. I just wanted to avoid negative comments about something that is very personal and nobody's business but my own.

I have been open about having surgery with family, friends and coworkers.....If they ask. I told my immedate family (My sister is 2 1/2 years out from surgery). I told my boss and a couple of people before surgery....but now I've lost so much they are all asking how...and they are noticing me more. I dont mind them knowing.... I am happy to share. Just didnt want the negative people to bring me down preop.

Good luck!!

I only told people i completely trust not to blab it to the whole world. I don't need negative vibes from people who may not be supportive. You take a chance if you want to keep it a secret and tell a few people. My mom, my husband and my girls are the only people I feel needed to know. I don't work outside the home so it's easier for me to keep it a secret.

I wanted to keep the whole surgery a secret and I did till the final 3months. Then I only told the people who are important to me. Of course some of them went on and told other people and those people had to state their opinion. But in the end I'm glad I told my close friends and family because everyone was supportive, even the people who disagreed with me getting the surgery. I say tell the people who u trust. Because you are going to need the support and the people. This decision is about u. so whatever u decide I wish u luck and keep us posted :)

I tell everyone, the support has been amazing, no regrets! It's getting a little like being pregnant though!! Lots of people randomly touching me, lifting my sleeves to see if my arms are saggy: it's like my personal space is non-existent sometimes!!!!

Oi told immediate friends and family only.

I told my immediate family and a few friends. My mother told the rest of my extended family and the friends I told proceeded to tell the rest of my friends. So almost everybody knows now. It's not such a big deal. Almost everyone is supportive and those who aren't, don't understand it so I've been educating them.