Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oops,the food is stuck! What to do?

Hi!

In spite of trying to be very careful and eating by bandster rules, I got stuck last night. I was sick and slime-ing for hours. Since the restriction varies by the time of day and by the time of the month, it's bound to happen.

:sick

Does anyone have any tips on how to help pass the offending bit of food? I tried sipping warm herbal tea, but I can't say it made things all that much easier. Yuk. I hate pain. Today I'm giving myself a day on liquids to recover (I'm hoping to get off this darn platau too).

Any advice?

An ounce of prevention...

I have been successful sipping pineapple juice. I have also heard of people sipping a carbonated drink, and kind of bubbling it out of place. You can also buy Papaya enzyme at GNC, and it is said to help. In the worst case scenario (and I do mean worst) you can drink liquid meat tenderizer my Dr. said.

Good plan to go back to liquids for a day....sooth your tummy before trying food again!

Hang in there----we all do it!!!

Kat

I'm not sure what to do to make it better but I had my first real issue with food getting stuck today. I had went out for lunch with some friends that I only go out with about once a year. Took 2 bites of chicken taco. Obviously did not chew good enough and .... pain. pain. more pain. End of meal. Went home and spent the next hour in pain and sliming. Yuck. Never want to do that again. It was sooo horrible. :think I thought I was going to be one of the lucky ones and never experience that. Boy, was I kidding myself. I will just do my best never to do it again. Note to self: "Chew, chew, chew... duh!"

first real chicken stuck experience happened to me about an hour ago. just got home from a business trip - made a chicken breast while the DH was on the phone with his parents. I was eating, kinda listening to their convo and playing with the cat. The next thing i knew i had this horrible feeling in my chest and i knew what i had done. grrr. now to just wait it out i guess. I'll make some tea in a few....

I've gotten stuck twice since my October banding. Truly an uncomfortable experience both times. One time it was sliming and the other time resulted in vomiting.

I'd love hear more suggestions on this topic.

I have been so stuck I tried jumping up and down to get the food to move. Worked once so now I try it every time. Thank god it isn't that often because it's becoming harder to explain my hopping in my favorite diner!

OK "Newb".....:) ...sliming. Sliming is the body's way of trying to help us 'unstick' something. When your body senses something is needing to move and it is not, it kicks into high gear to help, and it helps by producing copius amounts of slime. Slime is just very thick spit. VERY thick, VERY gooey--and thankfully tasteless, it is just super spit!!! The problem with sliming, is that when you are stuck, it is usually accompanied by being too full. So when your body is making huge amounts of slime/spit....your stomach, or pouch actually is too full already, and there is nowhere for it to go. The best thing you can do is to spit it out if you are in a place you can do so...to try to swallow it all is quite possibly going to lead to a sudden PB, where you lose the slime, and what food is in your pouch suddenly---without real warning. So when you can do something besides swallow all the slime, do it! I have only read of the sudden PB's I have never experienced one, hope not to either!!! I opt for the nasty spit technique when it happens. Trying to follow band rules cuts down the frequency and severity of slime attacks....someday I will learn!!!

And BTW----if you hear something you don't know---we don't mind you being a newbie---we are glad you are here!! Welcome!

Kat

When I get stuck it almost always turns into a PB. When food gets stuck my body immediately starts to generate the slime. I imagine this is true for everyone since I have no amphibian in my heredity as far as I know. Pretty soon my poor little golf ball-sized pouch is filled to the brim with both the food and the slime. And it just keeps getting more and more full as the slime continues to form. At that point there is no way the food and slime is ever going to make it through my restricted little hour glass opening. The only way out for me is up.

Fortunately for me this experience is not all that unpleasant. I don't really mind the PB experience. And the good thing is the pain and discomfort is over almost immediately. The only reason it bothers me at all to PB is because people say it can cause a slip.

I feel ya. I got something stuck today and thankfully, I had read about it here and had in my drawer some aloe vera dessert. I found it in the Oriental section of my grocery store and have had it in the drawer ever since.

IT WORKED.

I got a disgusting slow release Iron pill stuck in my newly filled pouch. What terrible tasting slime. shiver...but this stuff worked.

3051_Aloe_Vera_Dessert_Lychee_Flv_280g.jpg