Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is it on the other side?

Hi everybody! Hope when you r reading this thread everybody's doing great! What i mean by that is that im just starting hAve my first appt with the cardiologist next week and initial with the surgeon i know all doctors r different but can somebody tell me what to expect? And after surgery is it wierd how do you cope with your hungrer the first weeks? Other thing is the surgery really painful? Ive been through 3 csections and it was painful but probably this is major pain just curious to hear your input on it i appreciate it soo much! Best of wishes in everybodys journey post, pre op and of course the vets who are so helpful!

After surgery I was not hungry at all, the smell of food was enough to turn me off so that was real easy. The pain was minimal because I took my pain meds as directed and I did not let my pain get out of control. I was back to work in a week and I am one year out and I would do it all again in a second. Best thing I ever done !

Hello I also had 3 csections. This surgery was the easiest for me. I had issues with eating. I was never hungry I can go days with out food. I feel as if I had brain surgery cuz I sure didn't miss food. In the very beginning I was vomiting a lot & feeling blah but after a while I was fine. I lost all the weight in 6 months reach goal in 6 months. From 211 to 115 I keep my self busy now at 10 months post up. I have manage to keep the weight off. I can eat more now but it would never be like before huge amounts of food. I try to make the best choices. Eat fish beef salad rice Beans ect... No fried food oily greasy butter pork.

Thanks bbdoodle and mami i appreciate your words i am ready to make a change for me and my kids and its good to hear from people that have gone through it and have support cause as you already know not eveybody close to you is supportive but having you guys here its enough for me to keep on going on my journey thanks!! :0)

Your very welcome you are never alone in this group ????

So this is my first post, but I've been pouring over all of the threads for weeks now. I'd like to encourage others who have gone through the process to post on this topic.

I've read much from everyone on all kinds of topics (from 'it ruined my life' to 'post your happy tales'). But to hear a response to this simple question 'what's it like now that you have arrived at the other side' is invaluable to me.

Hearing that you aren't hungry or crying over foods you can no longer have is helpful, as are the stories of good and bad surgery experiences.

For those that are interested:

I'm a 44 year old guy who is looking at the surgery more for health than weight loss. I weigh 245 now and want to get down to whatever weight will control my 'out of control' diabetes. Weight loss will be awesome, don't get me wrong, just that stepping on a scale every day and seeing losses won't motivate me. So this is more to hear about what it's like living with the surgery. Thank you for reading.

I love it! I'm a size 2 small size. Even went down 1 1/2 size in sneaker. From 8 1/2 to 7 I feel wonderful... I had asthma issues which is in control now. I had a knee issue which it no longer hurts.

I am a 46 yr old male was at 301 in jan of 2012 with diabetes hbp and cholsterol meds for it all and doc wanted to put me on insulin which would have taken my truck driving career away i had RNY on 8/22/12 i was 270 lbs i am now not on any medications just my Vitamins A1C was a 5.5 last checked i am now at 156 lbs reached my goal at 6 mos out i feel great and would not change a thing..I will say it is not easy i attend our clinics support groups twice a month it helps keep me on track i also use online support to get thru this journey even started my own group on Facebook so all i can say is surround your self with some great people. there have been so many that have helped me thru this wether they know it or not thanks mamiof3...i would not change anything in my life right now i am healthy have a great wife 3 children and did i mention healthy you can do this best decision of my life

Thanks don for your support beautiful and inspirational for me! my first appt of my journey starts this thursday with the cardio and more motivated than ever after reading how amazing and supporting people are here thAts all i needed thanks again everybody ill see you all soon in that other side of healthy but challenging; but also rewarding and i know you guys will be cheering for me and others newbies at that other side... Lots i love support and respect to all

It is wonderful on the other side!!!

I am 10 months post op and feel better everyday. I have lost 110 and went from a size 22 to a 6. I now play soccer 5 nights a week on 6 teams. Next month I will take my police entrance exam and I have a whole new outlook on life. I can eat anything I want, but have learned how to control myself better. My reason for having the surgery was to reduce my dependence on prednisone. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have been on the nasty weight gaining drug for 6 years. I am getting real close to coming off of it. My joints feel better without all the weight.

The best part of the journey has been my relationship with my hubby. We Celebrate 10 years next month and we are like newlyweds again. As long as you talk about fears and problems relationships can work after rny.

Thanks music for your words and inthe love dept i think doing this will help me being more confident with my husband lesss insecure but most of all and most importantly being healthy and not be tired and achy to play with my boys that are 10 , 5 and my youngest whos 3rd bday is today thanks and best wishes

Thanks music for your words and inthe love dept i think doing this will help me being more confident with my husband lesss insecure but most of all and most importantly being healthy and not be tired and achy to play with my boys that are 10 ' date=' 5 and my youngest whos 3rd bday is today thanks and best wishes[/quote']

My husband and I had long talks before my surgery. I opened up about all the issues I had with him and my weight. Things I had never told him I swallowed my fear and we talked about it.

My biggest issue with my hubby is when I would be doing good on a diet he would always buy sweets and then tell me I needed will power to ignore them. I told him I always thought he wanted me fat so other men would not find me attractive.

About four weeks into surgery he bought a chocolate cream pie. He proudly announced to me that he got it for me, and figured since it was soft foods I could eat it. I got upset, and did what I always did - go to the bedroom and stew about it for a while. Well about 5 minutes into it I realize we had fallen back into a pattern that was unhealthy. I again swallowed my fear and talked to him. He said he did not even realize it. He said he want something sweet at night and we compromised with him getting coconut cream pie which I can't stand the smell of. From then on we have been great.

Talk talk talk.