Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last stand before the band

Hello band forum! This is my first post and I hope its ok to skip the intro post and go straight to a question.

I’ve been lurking here for a long time reading and trying to make up my mind about the band. I suffer from a serious affliction of analysis paralysis and I just don’t think I’m ready. Every time I decide I’m going to make an appointment for a consult (been to the seminar 3x now) I fall back on a million what ifs.:)

My number one hang up is that I have had amazing success (122 lbs. down once) twice in the past so I keep thinking I just need to try “traditional methods” one more time. My latest line of thinking is that if I’m going to shell out 15k in cash (Dr. Atkinson in Las Vegas) I owe it to myself to at least spend 5k on a personal trainer and nutrition. I have conceded to the idea that whatever I do the weight will probably come back in time but I believe there is something better coming around the corner. Hopefully by the time my weight is back there will be a better breakthrough solution than the band.

So my question is: Did you make a “last stand before the band” and what did you try?

Im sure everyone can recall the last thing that they tried but what I’m asking is if you did one particular thing with the idea of having the band done if you failed?

A little intro about me….

Im 31

Male(rare around here I understand)

5’7

271 Current

305 High (1997)

183 Low (2001 on atkins)

Also went from 210 to 135 as a high school freshman

Built like a brick(I was very very lean at 183)

I knew I could lose it AGAIN but keeping it off was my decision for the band.

I still have to walk the walk on this keeping off .

I feel for the first time I will not be getting to my goal and forgetting the diet. Im not dieting now.

Am I making better food decisions?? YES. I get FULL NOW.

My band is wonderful.

edie

I consider all my diets to be "last stands". The thing with the "last stand" mentality is just that, eventually we get into a rut where we think of all our diets as that last attempt. We think, "Before I do something as drastic as surgery, I should make this one last attempt." We succeed at the attempt, but the results, like all the other diet attempts in the past, are just temporary. Eventually, we realixe that we are back where we started. Once again, we think, "Well, I was able to lose XX pounds last time, I'll try it again before I turn to surgery. This time, I'll succeed in keeping the weight off." So we diet again, lose lots of weight again, and eventually regain it all again. It turns into a vicious cycle.

I think most people who have WLS get to the point where they realize that what they are doing isn't working. They may be able to work hard and lose weight, but it is always temporary.

All of that said, I think that if you are not 100% committed to having this surgery at this point, it will be better for you to wait. I think you need to wait until you are completely ready to work with the band. If you don't, I think you will wind up regretting the decision.

I feel for the first time I will not be getting to my goal and forgetting the diet. Im not dieting now.

When I lose a lot of weight I look back and always think "I'll NEVER be that heavy again" but then I stop living every breath in weight loss mode and I get run over by the same ol' bucket of chicken.

I dont want to diet anymore. I want to focus on my work and my interests and not make my weight my hobby again.

So we diet again, lose lots of weight again, and eventually regain it all again. It turns into a vicious cycle.

I think most people who have WLS get to the point where they realize that what they are doing isn't working. They may be able to work hard and lose weight, but it is always temporary.

I totally agree. I guess my problem lies in accepting this and accepting the band with its imperfections. Im worried that Im going to see something new and wonderful on CNN and regret having a device in my tummy. This thinking is really driving my one last stand mentality.

I asked Dr. Atkinson about any new developments and he said he wasnt aware of anything coming. He also reminded me that pretty much anything will be stuck in the FDA for 3-7 years. Am I really willing to wait till im 40 for something new?

The hardest thing about the whole process was being honest with myself that dieting just would not work - as it hadnt the previous 100 times. I had quite a public last stand here, I did lose 6kg of course once the first six weeks is over, the bad habits creep back in.

I still have to do the work to lose but I know with the band and my new exercise habits, I wont regain what I've lost.

Everyone, absolutely everyone advised me to "give it one more try". I didnt want to waste another minute of my life being fat and miserable. Even more - since I was a BMI of 35 - I didnt want to ever become morbidly obese. It was bad enough being just plain fat.

... Im worried that Im going to see something new and wonderful on CNN and regret having a device in my tummy. This thinking is really driving my one last stand mentality. ...

... Am I really willing to wait till im 40 for something new?

Ditto everyone else's comments - especially about comittment. The desire to wait for the "next best thing" is understandable but it's like buying a new computer, if you keep putting it off waiting for the newest, fastest chip to come out you never will buy one.

When I lose a lot of weight I look back and always think "I'll NEVER be that heavy again" but then I stop living every breath in weight loss mode and I get run over by the same ol' bucket of chicken.

I dont want to diet anymore. I want to focus on my work and my interests and not make my weight my hobby again.

Yep, this is me. I was never a good dieter, but when I was able to do nothing else but think about every item that passed my lips, I was able to ... maybe ... not gain as fast. But when I hit 40 and had two small children relying on me, I knew that was not going to be possible ever again. I needed something REAL.

My "last stand" was ephedra, on which I lost 30 lbs in the year before surgery. I went from 340 to 310, but as soon as I stopped taking this dangerous drug the weight came right back on. Banding is the first thing ever that's worked to let me live my life, not think constantly about what I'm eating, and be close to normal for the very first time.

I was a successful dieter pre-band too, but I could never keep it off. I'd lost 100 lbs once and 60 lbs 3 or 4 times.

My real, true advice for you is why struggle to lose weight without the band "one last time"? Why put your metabolism and your body through another cycle of loss and re-gain? Get the band now and save your health to the best of your ability.

I had a hard time getting over the concept of potential other surgeries as well, which is what I think you're struggling with, in terms of the likelihood that there will be a better device in the future. Here's what I came to realize. The band doesn't have to be permanent. If the medical community isolates a fat gene, creates a pill, or otherwise truly cures obesity in my lifetime, I can have my band removed in favor of the better procedure. Band surgery, as significant as it is, is minimally invasive. My surgery was 17 minues. I was home in 4 hours. I'm not saying don't take it seriously, but I am saying don't let the hope of a better procedure YEARS down the road keep you from having the wonderful tool that's available to you today.

If I needed to get from NYC to DC and I had a car (the band), I'd take the car -- I wouldn't walk (diet & exercise) just because I thought, in a few years, I might have access to a plane (new-fangled future procedure).

Good luck to you and all any of us want for you is happiness and heath on whatever road you choose.

Take care,

My last attempt to lose weight on my own was prescribed by my physician. I began taken Meridia and OMG...my blood pressure went through the roof and I was on the brink of a heart attack (at age 24). I have tried every effort known to man to lose weight...Weight Watchers...atkins...slim fast...hydroxycut...LA Weight Loss...personal trainer etc. I would lose a few pounds only to regain them and then some. I am very happy with my band I am down 46 lbs in 18 weeks. I now eat the right things and exercise ALOT. I wouldn't have it any other way! Good luck I hope everything works out for you.

Yes, I lost 40 lbs on my own and my weight loss had stalled. That is why I went with the band. It hasn't been easy as I have only lost 40 lbs in 9 months but at least I haven't gained any back. That is the beauty of the band. I think your results will be good. Especially with weight gain.